Christmas present for a 12 year old: PS4? XBox? Other?

850 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Bryan98
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My son's been pestering me for a console or a gaming rig, and I figure I'll get out cheaper if I just pick up a console. Any recommendations? I really am not famliar with any of the console games...

I don't want him playing inappropriate games but I assume there are plenty of PG titles available for both. Also advice on which of the current hot games are appropriate (or not) for his age. Would appreciate your recommendations, including best place to get them (Black Friday / Cyber Monday etc.)

TIA!
Ganondorf
AG
Yes you will get a console cheaper than a gaming computer.

Figure out what system his friends play and get that.

Or you can get him a hooker and that should be the cheapest.
Punked Shank
AG
+1 on a hooker.
Ganondorf
AG
As far as games go he'll want to play all the ones he probably shouldn't. Most games rated M are going to be out. I think the single player stuff in the Call of Duty games is too violent but the multiplayer is ok.

There websites that look at games and give a recommendation on age range so hit that up on a case by case basis on what you think your kid can handle when looking at the T rated stuff.
iceman08
AG
+ another - find out what his friends have. I say PS4 bc I'm biased (I love the system).

I wouldn't worry too much about getting "appropriate age" games... I mean the other day I was early Christmas shopping for my cousin and saw call of duty lego stuff (or something like that). Game makers know kids play these games, not just the "dude bros" playin CoD.

Just don't get him grand theft auto - that's really the only game I would hold off on.
kb2001
AG
Seven Psycho Ags
Perry Bible Fellowship!

On topic, finding out what his friends have is key to success. Chances are he'll want to play violent games too so be prepared for that. Unless he's a problem child they shouldn't hurt him but it's ultimately up to you.
SECivil Ag-11
AG
Don't count out the Wii U, you can get some ridiculous bundles and steals right now. No one does local co-op better than Nintendo. Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros U are all excellent games, and the newest Super Smash game came out just today. New Zelda game will also comes out in 2015.
Tailgate88
AG
I'm leaning towards a PS4 but I'll try to get more info out of him regarding what his buddies have. I'm not too worried about the violent games as long as he's killing aliens or something. Yes, definitely no GTA.
Looks like Amazon is going to have a pretty good deal for $399: PlayStation 4 Black Friday Bundle - Lego Batman 3 and Little Big Planet 3.

Regarding a hooker, I think 12 is a little young. He can buy his own when he's 16 or 20.

jay040
I read something on Kotaku that you have to pay for online gaming for PS4 and XBONE. Did Playstation do away with free online gaming? I know you could pay for playstation plus, but is free not an option anymore? I have a PS3 and don't really play online games, other than getting roster updates, etc.
jr15aggie
AG
Xbox & PS4 are the same as far as you are concerned... like everybody has said, if he is going to play online find out what system his friends have so they can play together (and be prepared for the $50 per year online fee).

But the WiiU is also great for that age... Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart are still crazy popular games and are only on the WiiU.

If you have any other specific questions, ask them here... DO NOT go into gamestop and ask them... some of those people are literally living in a different world than the rest of us.
Psychag
AG
We just bought our son an Xone. Had a PS3 before. He wanted to be able to play with his friends who all have Xones. Does not appear to be much difference in systems, but I'm not a gaming nerd. I was surprised to find out most games are now downloadable, so make sure to have enough hardrive (even if using external hdr). We traded in the PS3 and games and got the Call of Duty Bundled Xone with 1 TB harddrive space. Ended up only paying about $100 after trade in. Make sure to buy the rechargeable accessory for game controller. Batteries don't last.
jarAGGIE05
AG
quote:
If you have any other specific questions, ask them here... DO NOT go into gamestop and ask them... some of those people are literally living in a different world than the rest of us.
Hilarious and true!

On topic: As many have said, you can't go wrong with either. Xbox One (in a huge attempt to win back the masses after last year's flop in marketing) is offering the greatest value per $ right now. As an Xbox One owner, the system/servers have issues, but they are constantly improving and adding new features each month. It's actually pretty amazing how far the system has come in just one year. I'm guessing PS4 is making similar strides. What consoles his friends are playing is probably the biggest thing though. These consoles are meant to connect and play online with friends.
WoMD
Give him a PS2 and original xbox. Two systems is better than one, right?
Bryan98
AG
If you're getting him a console, get him the one his friends own. It's a very important decision, so consider talking to him about it and not surprising him.

I'm lucky in that all my IRL friends and I ended up with Xbox Ones workout coordinating it. Now we all play Destiny together.

Last night we actually played it with a father and son duo. Good times! The son was way, way better than his dad.
Bryan98
AG
Btw I LOVE the WiiU for playing great family games with my young kids, but I'm guessing a boy on the verge of being a teen would be disappointed with one.

The son in the father - son duo we played Destiny with last night was 14, btw.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.