Amazon Echo

44,710 Views | 259 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by txyaloo
AggieMavsfan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/06/amazon-echo-speaker/?ncid=rss_truncated

Cool addition to the home, or just another gadget? I might get it just for the wireless bluetooth speaker and spotify compatibility.
Olag00
AG
I just noticed this as well on Amazon's home page. It is interesting and prime members save $100 (for a limited time).

Might be worth giving it a chance.
Wildmen03
AG
If it was portable with a rechargeable battery, I'd think about it. I'm stocked up on plugged in speakers in my house.
schmendeler
AG
for $100 (with prime) it seems like a really intriguing tech experiment to take part in.
AggieMavsfan
AG
It better be smarter than Siri though, I hate asking her for directions when I'm driving and she screws it up. I'm not gonna pay $100 for that sort of stress.
AggieT
AG
Doesn't everybody already have this on their phone? Google Now? Siri?
mazag08
AG
Waste of money
La Fours
AG
It is portable with a rechargeable battery.
chipotle
quote:
Doesn't everybody already have this on their phone? Google Now? Siri?

Yep, so long as your iphone is plugged in you can "hey Siri".
La Fours
AG
Siri sucks. I never use it. If I get an invite to buy one of these, I'll check it out.
Wildmen03
AG
quote:
It is portable with a rechargeable battery.
Where are you seeing that? I saw this in the article and the video says it plug in as well.

quote:
Echo plugs in, so it's not portable like more straightforward efforts from Jawbone or Beats.
adamsbq06
AG
i might get one... i have everything else amazon has made (except phone) I actually prefer their prime tv over the apple tv
bmc13
AG
I asked for an invite. still not sure if I'll buy if I receive one though
La Fours
AG
Damn, I didn't pay close enough attention to the video Amazon put on youtube. Sorry. I'm dumb.
Barry Kripke
AG
quote:

Cool addition to the home, or just another gimmick? I might get it just for the wireless bluetooth speaker and spotify compatibility.

Fify
AggieMavsfan
AG
They made it immobile on purpose, it's supposed to be a home hub of sorts.
hph6203
AG
Let me use it as an atmospheric whole house remote and then we're talking.
Short Round
If I can sync it to my smartthings home automation stuff then I'd by 50 of them.
La Fours
AG
Yeah, that would be awesome if it could tie into home automation stuff. Just say "Alexa, set thermostat to 73 degrees". That would kick ass. I already have wifi thermostats.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Here is a quick video that explains what the echo is.
Vernada
AG
Assuming the sound is good, at $99 it's a great deal even if all you do is use as a Bluetooth speaker.
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
Assuming the sound is good, at $99 it's a great deal even if all you do is use as a Bluetooth speaker.
except it has to be plugged in.
Diggity
AG
So I just got an email from Amazon saying I can order one, but now I have my doubts as to using it.

This may have been a bad strategy on their part since I have had time to get over my impulse buying urges.
agfan2013
AG
Haven't gotten an invite yet, I wonder how they are deciding who gets one or not.

Strangely I'm the opposite of you, the more time I've had to think about it, the more I've become interested in it.
MSCAg
AG
Diggity
AG
quote:
Strangely I'm the opposite of you, the more time I've had to think about it, the more I've become interested in it.
I think it's mainly because I already have a Sonos system throughout the house. After thinking about it, it's hard to justify having both.
aggieforester05
AG
I'd jump on it if it had a battery, but without I'm not sure that could be a dealbreaker. Now if I want a portable bluetooth speaker, I would have to buy a second device.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
quote:
So I just got an email from Amazon saying I can order one, but now I have my doubts as to using it.

This may have been a bad strategy on their part since I have had time to get over my impulse buying urges.

I did same thing.. Wanted to order it immediately, but after getting the actual invite to purchase I never did
schmendeler
AG
we got ours yesterday. I didn't have much time to play with it last night. I got it set up and tried a few things, but the baby was trying to sleep in her swing and didn't want to mess her up. so far it's pretty neat. I need to figure out where I want to put it so it will be accessible when we want to use it.
aggieforester05
AG
Wish I would at least get the frigging invite email. I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, not sure why they don't like me.
schmendeler
AG
not sure what the criteria were that they used.
Vernada
AG
quote:
Wish I would at least get the frigging invite email. I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, not sure why they don't like me.

Same here.
schmendeler
AG
Listening to streaming Amazon Christmas music right now
agfan2013
AG
quote:
Listening to streaming Amazon Christmas music right now

Do you spend a lot on Amazon? Not trying to pry too much as its not our business but I did read somewhere people thought the order was partially based on how much you spend on their site.

Or did you ask for the invite super early as in the first hours of the day it opened or anything?

Any other guesses?
schmendeler
AG
We do spend in the low single digit thousands most years.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.