Android Nexus 9 reviews are out - Very poor overall

1,167 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Bunkhouse96
VanGogh@1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/03/nexus-9-review-a-little-better-on-paper-than-in-practice/

I was considering getting this for my parents but I am becoming increasingly disappointed with Google and Android lately.
ABKitch
AG
I get mine tomorrow... and own a Nexus 5, and iPad Air (iWife), so I'll let you know what I think!
jagouar1
AG
Kinda surprised how everybody is complaining about the performance... you would think they would have gotten that right across the board.

I think much of the reason for the harsher reviews is the price.... before you could chalk up any of its shortcomings to the price being substantially lower than the competition. The nexus line doesn't get that anymore.
hurricanejake02
AG
After reading everything about the Nexus 9, I just bought a refurbed Nexus 7 (2013) to replace my original 7.
ABKitch
AG
So apparently, Amazon took a bunch of pre-orders and now does not have stock to fulfill them. My order (supposed to be shipped today for arrival tomorrow) shows:
quote:
Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.
Chatted with 2 different Customer Service reps and neither could explain it, nor give me any update on when they'd be in stock or when they'd actually ship. Normally I'm a big Amazon fan, but this is pretty bad...

So I'll try my local Best Buy and see if they have any in stock...otherwise I guess I'll be ordering from the Play Store!
reddestass16
AG
http://www.droid-life.com/2014/11/03/nexus-9-review/

This one speaks pretty highly of it.
ABKitch
AG
Went and picked one up at my local BB tonight (after the guy figured out it ISN'T called a "Nexus 8" and figured out where the few they had were hidden in the store...). After chatting with Amazon today and getting no help or answers, I did get a follow up email with a $15 credit on my account, for my troubles, and then I came home and cancelled my "pre-order".

So far very happy with it. The screen is bright and beautiful, and it's definitely snappy and Lollipop looks great. Very similar design to the Nexus 5 (which I have and really like), so I am happy with that. The size is great...obviously at 9 inches, is between the iPad and a 7" tablet size, and I find holding it and typing very easy and comfortable.

Really like the new "Recents" format, and the double-tap to wake up the screen is a really nice feature. Google Launcher/Google Now works great, and the "OK Google" voice command is about as easy as it gets for doing searches, etc. The dual front speakers sound good too (not booming sound but better than most phones/tablets).

Once I got it up and running, it downloaded and installed a 297MB Android update, which I believe is probably bug fixes, etc., judging by one or two reviews I read. And most apps look fine and have worked great, but I have not yet been able to get the Dish Anywhere app to even open so far.

Have mostly been installing stuff and looking through settings so far, so don't have much more to report as of now, but I like it a lot so far.
VanGogh@1
The reviews said that the build quality was also poor compared to an ipad (which it's priced at). Creakiness and flex, backlight bleed on the edges of the screen etc... How is your unit?
KidDoc
AG
I'm waiting for Nvidia Shield Tablet to go on sale. Similar to Nexus 9 but a bit more punch and I can shadowplay my PC games on it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
HossAg
AG
quote:
I'm waiting for Nvidia Shield Tablet to go on sale. Similar to Nexus 9 but a bit more punch and I can shadowplay my PC games on it.
chilidogfood
AG
So, i just returned my Nexus 9 to BB.

Bought it and tried it out for a week, but ultimately i was disappointed in it. I wanted to like it so bad. My N5 rocks, but the N9 seemed to run a little lag\gy. If it was about $150 cheaper, I would have had a much easier time forgiving it for its limited storage capacity (32GB), the backlight bleeding around 1 edge of the screen and its sometimes choppy performance, but I dont think it competes well where it's priced now.

Conversely, Lollipop on my N5 runs like butter.

I hope Google figures it out on their next iteration and comes up with a better solution than the N6 and N9.
Bunkhouse96
AG
Evidently the performance issues have to do with the encryption

Encryption and Performance in Android Lollipop.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.