Mac Mini: Is this a good deal?

583 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by khkman22
TP Ag '87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mac Mini model A1347
-2.5 GHz i5
-500 GB hard drive
-4 GB ram

Two AOC 19" monitors
-Resolution 1900x600

Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. All cables and adapters will be included. This is a complete computer system. Hard drive will be loaded with a new version of Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite.

Guy's asking $500. Found it on Craig's List. What do you guys think? Only looking to use as basic home computer, download music, movies. No games, graphics or publishing.
adamsbq06
AG
At that price is skip the monitors and buy a new macmini from Apple. They run about $500. They have an HDMI cord just use your tv as a monitor and buy a wireless keyboard and mouse
91AggieLawyer
AG
You should be able to find the 2012 Mac Mini new for either 399 or 449 depending on when you catch it. They still have them in stock, and for the money, that's better than the new version. I don't personally like buying used computers from people, but that's up to you.
TP Ag '87
AG
Yeah, I'm pretty wary to say the least. Should I just keep checking the refurb store @ Apple.com?
JonLobb
i'd say skip. for $500 you can get a new MacMini, and 19" monitors are stupid cheap if that's what you want.
adamsbq06
AG
who needs a 19" monitor... use one of the TVs in your house... install plex and use it as a media center!
TP Ag '87
AG
FWIW, he'd selll the mac alone for $425.
adamsbq06
AG
for $75 more you can have a brand new one with a 1year warranty... too easy buy the new one!

MacMini
JonLobb
seems silly to consider, but are the logitech keyboard and house the "good" ones that are apple specific (have CMD and apple buttons)

or are they just cheapo?

If you buy a new Mac Mini you'll still need to get peripherals, and if you want Mac specific peripherals that could add up.
TP Ag '87
AG
Thanks. You guys make too much sense. I appreciate it.
adamsbq06
AG
also if you have a best buy reward zone membership don't they give you $5 every $250 you spend? so buy it from best buy and get $10 BBY gift card. then the price difference is $65. Also the mac mini doesn't come with a keyboard or mouse so pick one up from amazon, most Logitech keyboards are compatible.

If you buy from BBY say no to the extended warranty, and if it breaks take it to the apple store...
TP Ag '87
AG
OR, consider a refurb 21.5" Mac for $929?
TP Ag '87
AG
Is there ANY price point that you guys would consider on the original mini?
JonLobb
quote:
Is there ANY price point that you guys would consider on the original mini?
I would go for it if it were a Designed for Mac keyboard. The peripherals are going to add another $100 to the price, so you're actually saving $175 at that price point, and that's not nothing. That's enough to get two 20" monitors in fact.
adamsbq06
AG
A1347 (Late 2012) I would think around. $250. you have to consider it doesn't have a warranty and it's used.
TP Ag '87
AG
Is this one being offered vastly inferior to the new ones? Obviously, new ones will have some betters specs; I get that. But if the guy paid ~$500, has had it for 1-2 years, I wonder if he'd take <$400 for it (the mini only), and THAT would be a good deal. ???
TP Ag '87
AG
Adams: guess you answered my question.
JonLobb
quote:
A1347 (Late 2012) I would think around. $250. you have to consider it doesn't have a warranty and it's used.
Macs retain resale value better than PCs. This late 2012 Mac is still better than any $400 PC you could get brand new.

The lack of a warranty sucks, but I don't think it's worth 50% of the original purchase price.
JonLobb
quote:
Is this one being offered vastly inferior to the new ones? Obviously, new ones will have some betters specs; I get that. But if the guy paid ~$500, has had it for 1-2 years, I wonder if he'd take <$400 for it (the mini only), and THAT would be a good deal. ???
I'd say yes. The same model is still available at most retailers and cost about $450-$490.
TP Ag '87
AG
As you said, looks like you can buy new for $450 or "open box" $405.

Best Buy mini
khkman22
AG
If you're thinking of the 2014 model, buy from an online tax free retailer. B&H Photo is where I usually check. $494 for the new base model.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.