Drones revisited

454 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Absolute
Absolute
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Getting close to pulling the trigger on a Drone to use for roof inspections. Most likely candidate is the DJI Phantom Vision + . Finding myself a little conflicted due to some bad reviews I have found online regarding the quality of the build and, more concerning to me, random loss of control due to electromagnetic or similar interference.

Trying to decide if it is a smart purchase for me. Not really interested in it from a pure hobby standpoint. I am looking at it as a tool. My intention would be to use it to inspect roofs without having to get on them. Which means I would be using it around houses, in the city, etc. Really not interested in spending 1500 on the unit and accessories just to have it become an expensive toy.

Wanted to get a feel for Texags experience with these units. Reliability, safety, other potential problems or issues that I might be treading on with the idea?
Karrde
AG
I thought there were questions about the legality of using drones commercially right now. Have those been resolved?
Absolute
AG
Don't know, honestly. Define commercially. If I am using it to lift my camera as part of a larger process but not specifically selling drone photography does that apply? Another reason i am hesitant. But I am starting to see lots of photography using them, that ultimately relates to a product. Seeing them used for different inspection purposes and advertised as such, what is different about that?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Beware the Phantom 2 Vision+

The gimbal is pretty fragile, and you cannot have it repaired in 9 out of 10 cases. If you send it to DJI, they will simply sell you another one no matter what, and I have only found one place that will even look at the gimbal for repairs. We got one as a "hobby" drone not long ago and have had a lot of trouble with firmware updates and other things. My idiot boss also crashed our and broke the $600 gimbal. There are lots of parts and accessories for the drone itself, but the gimbal is the really expensive part and what sets it apart from other models. Customer support is also pretty nonexistent.
Absolute
AG
That was pretty much the gist of that bad reviews I found that made me rethink buying it yesterday. Poor quality and worse customer service.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.