#Gamergate

3 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Frank Sobotka
Bobcat06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've seen mentions of this but don't know the whole story and have a hard time finding an unbiased source. I was hoping someone could fill in the details.

As I understand, a group of gamers found out that a game was getting favorable reviews because it's programmer was closer friends with the critic. The critic and programmer (both women) are claiming that the gamers are sexist who don't want women in the male dominated field of video games.

Is this more or less correct? I'm sure I'm missing some details.
schmendeler
AG
a female game developer broke up with her boyfriend. boyfriend spreads rumor she was sleeping with game reviewer in order to get favorable treatment. internet game nerd aholes flip out and start sending death threats over it. proof comes out that the guy was full of ****, aholes are shown to be aholes. that's the gist of it from what I gathered.
Kampfers
AG
http://texags.com/forums/30/topics/2547599
Fenrir
First I heard of the guy being full of ****, that would certainly be an interesting twist to it.
schmendeler
AG
From wiki

"Although concerns about journalistic impropriety proved unfounded, as Grayson never wrote a review of the game,[15][a] allegations about journalistic ethics continued to clash with acts of harassment and misogyny."
Fenrir
I misread, I thought you meant full of **** about their being a relationship between them. My bad.

Honestly, even the genuine debates aren't really about ethics from what I've seen. More about not liking coordinated attempts to push certain narratives that writers/editors at some sites favor.
Frank Sobotka
The ex-boyfriend wasn't full of ****. Quinn validated the screenshots that he posted of their digital conversations.

That being said, it's too long and bloated a story to give the type of abbreviated rundown that you are looking for. Quinn had a sexual relationship with a journalist after that journalist had written a feature on her game, though you could point to suspicion that something might have gone on prior to the article as well. Regardless, it's just one article, and while that is an issue, it isn't worth the hubbub that has actually emerged from Gamergate. In conjunction with the outrage over Quinn's alleged "tit for tat" are the allegations that she shut out an attempt by a group called The Fine Young Capitalists to promote female game devs.

That's not what most of the hubbub is about, though. Most of it has to do with the the legitimately misogynistic backlash against Quinn by a few and the feminist backlash to that misogynistic backlash. There were legitimately misogynistic death threats and personal attacks made against her. As a result of that, feminists such as Anita Sarkeesian have made an indictment on the issue of misogyny in the entire gaming community. As a result of that unsophisticated indictment, we now have another backlash against feminists with pet projects by people who are not necessarily misogynistic, but who are militantly anti-feminist.

What you're probably hearing the most about is the misguided feminist backlash, and the overblown anti-feminist backlash.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.