"Android OS" battery drain on kitkat

1,668 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ever since I got kitkat (Galaxy S4 on Sprint), fairly often my battery will start draining extremely quickly. According to the phone the drain is attributed to Android OS, and it's only fixed if I hold the back button and close all the apps.

This didn't use to happen before kitkat. Anyone dealing with this and has found the solution?
VanGogh@1
this is one of the weaknesses of android. My friend has a galaxy s 3 and experienced the same issue with android. I'd recommend an iPhone personally.
SpicewoodAg
AG
Yet Android on my LG G2 has no such problem. Perhaps the problem is not Android, but Samsung's implementation of KitKat on that particular phone.

Seems the OP is not the only person with a problem with KitKat and the GS4. An example:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/384708-new-here-galaxy-s4-battery-drain-since-4-4-2-update-kitkat-glanceviewmk.html
Longstreet
quote:
this is one of the weaknesses of android. My friend has a galaxy s 3 and experienced the same issue with android. I'd recommend an iPhone personally.
Yeah, I'm calling bulls*** on you having friends.

Siri doesn't count.
Barry Kripke
AG
Same issue with my work device. It's a POS now.
Stasco
AG
quote:

Finally a personal endorsement. I was really starting to wonder what phone you personally recommend. Your critiques of different mobile phones and mobile OSs are always so thorough and even-handed. It's been so difficult to tell what, if anything, you actually prefer. I'm so glad the long wait has ended.
Stasco
AG
quote:

Interesting. Barry, do you have a personal recommendation? I've always wondered what phone you choose, personally.
testosterbone
AG
quote:
quote:

Interesting. Barry, do you have a personal recommendation? I've always wondered what phone you choose, personally.

If I recall correctly, I believe he prefers BlackBerrys or Windows phones.
EastSideAg2002
I have this issue with my Note 2. From what I can tell it is somehow related to wakelocks and that the phone does not go into sleep mode. However, I have not found a solution posted. I usually have to turn my phone off and back on to stop it from happening. Closing all programs does not seem to work for me.
flintdragon
AG
This is definitely one of the issues that plague Android devices.

Sometimes it is a bug in the OS, most times it is a rogue app. Most recently, I had a hard time identifying the source of the leak. Nothing really pointed at a specific app so I uninstalled 2-3 of the most recent apps I installed and voila, battery is awesome again.

It's a headache to deal with for sure and something that an average joe would not be able to figure out.
tfunk02
AG
Root it... install a basically stock google ROM... If the problem persists, install a kernel.

It's not difficult to follow a youtube video.
Longstreet
quote:
Ok, he has 1 friend.
kb2001
AG
I had the same issue with my Nexus 4 after applying the KitKat update. I powered the phone off, and back on, and it's been fine since then. I also had the same problem on my work iphone5 after applying ios7. Apple support recommended that I power it off, then back on, and that fixed it.
12thAngryMan
AG
When did Kit Kat start getting pushed to Samsung phones? I have an S5 and my battery was been great since I got it (about 7 months ago). However, like the OP, my battery has been struggling to last 12 hours recently. Something probably changed about 2-3 weeks ago for my phone. AndroidOS is also the culprit for me.
VanGogh@1
Longstreet isn't going to like this thread one bit.
Longstreet
quote:
Longstreet isn't going to like this thread one bit.
Because ?
Longstreet
I don't know why I shouldn't like this thread. It makes me happy!

Other people made fun of your "contribution", but when you responded you chose me. You chose ME!

I feel all giddy inside!

EDIT: Please don't send me your ear.
VanGogh@1
I do receive mild enjoyment trolling fanboys. I'll post once, maybe twice? and you'll respond with 2, 3, 4 posts for each one of mine. Sometimes you'll post twice by replying to your own comment before anyone has said anything.
SECivil Ag-11
AG
^ LOL

I can't be the only one who finds it absolutely hilarious that vangogh is the first person to accuse someone of being a fanboy the second someone has a differing opinion.
Longstreet
quote:
I do receive mild enjoyment trolling fanboys. I'll post once, maybe twice? and you'll respond with 2, 3, 4 posts for each one of mine. Sometimes you'll post twice by replying to your own comment before anyone has said anything.
Oh my god. The ear's already in the mail isn't it?
12thAngryMan
AG
For the OP: I started looking into this issue after I posted. I ended up clearing my cache, turning off my phone, popping out the battery for a few minutes, then turning it back on. Typing this message currently with 46% battery after approximately 40 hours since my last charge with moderate use. Not sure what did it, but one of those steps seemed to help.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Good to know, thanks.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.