Orbital Sciences unmanned ISS delivery rocket goes BOOM!

1,229 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
JonLobb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
biiig badda boom

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/private-spaceship-bound-space-station-explodes-launch-n235996

John Beckwith
tx4guns
AG
Tomorrow is gonna be interesting at work.
coop-aero-06
AG
Give us some details tomorrow if you can, tx4guns. Me and my work buddies have been watching the video on repeat trying to figure out what happened.
mid90
agfan2013
AG
Oh boy.

quote:
Give us some details tomorrow if you can, tx4guns.

Please. And when do I get my free tour of Johnson for buying the 1911 grips....... (Joking, unless you really can give secret tours or something).
mid90
AG
Shameless plug for myself here:

I just finished a master's in Aerospace, and I'm trying to get hired on with a space exploration company. If anyone here who works for NASA/Boeing Space/SpaceX/Orbital Sciences/etc. would be willing to help me network, I'd much appreciate it. I can be reached by email at mid90@tamu.edu.

Thanks!
tx4guns
AG
I won't know anything about the rocket, as the investigation will take a while. I had hardware on it, so we'll be looking at the replacement plan and reprioritizing our current deliveries based on program needs. Last time we did this was 44 Progress and Columbia before that. Not the type of assessment we like to do, but it's necessary to move forward.

NASA is still on a hiring freeze as far as I know. Contractors are your best bet to work in this industry.
mid90
AG
Thanks. I've applied for several contractor jobs. I'm really interested in a couple GNC jobs with Boeing in Clear Lake, and I'm trying to get in touch with someone in that department.
trueaggie2782
AG
God himself killed this rocket. Here's the evidence. He makes his appearance at about 21 seconds into the video from the posted link above.

Ganondorf
AG
JonLobb
Elon Musk blew it up with a death ray designed by Nikola Tesla
wee_ag
AG
Rumor has it that there were 50 year old russian rockets on that thing. Any proof to that? Is that even a concern (as Elon Musk has said it is)?
JonLobb
quote:
Rumor has it that there were 50 year old russian rockets on that thing. Any proof to that? Is that even a concern (as Elon Musk has said it is)?

yep. the Antares uses left over Aerojet NK-33 engines from the 60s.
Damien Thorn
quote:
God himself killed this rocket. Here's the evidence. He makes his appearance at about 21 seconds into the video from the posted link above.

God doesn't wear berets.
nwspmp
quote:
quote:

Wow. Last night CNN was saying that the Antares were using RD-180s; that's even worse! But then again, the only thing I learned from their broadcast were the words "Classified Crypto Hardware" and the question as to whether that was what blew it up.
JonLobb
quote:
quote:
quote:

Wow. Last night CNN was saying that the Antares were using RD-180s; that's even worse! But then again, the only thing I learned from their broadcast were the words "Classified Crypto Hardware" and the question as to whether that was what blew it up.
I could be wrong. But I think the RD-180s are only used by Atlas V
KidDoc
AG
quote:
POTD!

And I wish I had cash to dump on spacex stock prior to this event haha.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JonLobb
quote:
quote:
POTD!

And I wish I had cash to dump on spacex stock prior to this event haha.
you can have all that cash you want, it's not a publicly traded company
PooDoo
AG
quote:

Looks like the ghost of BinLaden.
OldArmy07
AG
I could Google this, but would rather someone track it down for me-

What is Orbital Sciences' relationship to NASA? I thought they were a competitor to SpaceX, except that they used existing rocket tech to launch their vehicle to the ISS rather than use their own rocket designs. Was I seeing the NASA logo on the video feed because this was an ISS mission, or because NASA manages their launches?

I don't recall seeing the same NASA branding on SpaceX missions that were launched to resupply the ISS, but I could be wrong.
JonLobb
quote:
I could Google this, but would rather someone track it down for me-

What is Orbital Sciences' relationship to NASA? I thought they were a competitor to SpaceX, except that they used existing rocket tech to launch their vehicle to the ISS rather than use their own rocket designs. Was I seeing the NASA logo on the video feed because this was an ISS mission, or because NASA manages their launches?

I don't recall seeing the same NASA branding on SpaceX missions that were launched to resupply the ISS, but I could be wrong.
Orbital operates the same as SpaceX. they build their own vehicle, but they're using rocket engines purchased from Aerojet rather than building their own.

The SpaceX ISS resupply missions have aired on NASA tv as well, so the livestreams have had both NASA and SpaceX logos.

The NASA logs are because the screen captures are from the NASA-tv video feed.
OldArmy07
AG
Thanks!
coop-aero-06
AG
Rocket Intentionally Detonated
quote:
The unmanned Antares rocket that exploded off the coast of Virginia was deliberately destroyed after it became apparent there was a problem, a spokesman for Orbital Sciences Corporation said Thursday.
The flight termination system was engaged, Barron Beneski, vice president of corporate communications, confirmed in an email.
The company said on its website that evidence suggests the problem started in the rocket's first stage and that it "fell back to the ground impacting near, but not on, the launch pad."
The rocket was intentionally detonated before it hit the ground.
I had a feeling that this happened. It looks like the rocket just stops ascending and starts coming back down. At that point I suppose it's better to go ahead and detonate it with a controlled explosion to avoid a rocket impacting the ground with its motor still running.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I don't see a problem with using the RD-180's or NK-33's. They have pretty good track records as far as us using them. The NK-33's are also refurbished pretty heavily from what I understand. It's not like they uncrated them from cold storage and dropped them in a rocket.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.