Amazon Fire TV stick preorder - $20

12,414 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by cecil77
Dr. Venkman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GDQ0RMG

Comes with a remote which is a plus for me over chromecast. My PLEX app constantly crashes when using with chromecast. Plus this will stream amazon instant video.
Chasing Trail
AG
I ordered it. At $20, it's an easy gamble.
Eugene4x
AG
In for 2
Fenrir
Have their been some early reviews of this? My Chromecast has been having some issues lately...not entirely sure if it's gone wonky or if AT&T is being a ****head but for $20 this might be worth a shot.
flintdragon
AG
Does it use the same activation interface (native cast icon) as chromecast or do you have to use amazon specific versions of the app?
TracerX
quote:
Does it use the same activation interface (native cast icon) as chromecast or do you have to use amazon specific versions of the app?
While some apps might use the same button for all remote options, Fire TV functionality is different than Chromecast so if an app supports one that doesn't mean it automatically supports the other.
pnut02
AG
You can't power it using the TV's USB port like you can on Chromecast.

quote:
System Requirements
High-definition television with available HDMI input, Internet connection via Wi-Fi, a power outlet.
fig96
AG
quote:

quote:
System Requirements
High-definition television with available HDMI input, Internet connection via Wi-Fi, a power outlet.

Seems odd as it looks to just plug into the tv?

I'm in either way, already have an AppleTV but as a streaming device for a second tv the price is tough to beat.
terradactylexpress
quote:

quote:
System Requirements

My chromecast has a plug I feel
AggieMavsfan
AG
I think chromecast has to be plugged in too. I had been considering buying a 2nd chromecast for the bedroom anyway, so I might do this instead. I have a roku, but prefer the chromecast as I like just using my phone/tablet as the remote. Actually, if this fire stick makes you use a remote, I don't think I need it.
fig96
AG
quote:
I think chromecast has to be plugged in too. I had been considering buying a 2nd chromecast for the bedroom anyway, so I might do this instead. I have a roku, but prefer the chromecast as I like just using my phone/tablet as the remote. Actually, if this fire stick makes you use a remote, I don't think I need it.

Gotta read people

quote:
Download the Fire TV Remote App on your Android device (coming soon to iOS)
pnut02
AG
Yes, I realize that you have to plug in the Chromecast, but you can use the USB port on the TV. That is what I meant.

quote:

From http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GDQ0RMG#ASAP :

quote:
For best results, use the included HDMI extender for improved Wi-Fi connectivity. Fire TV Stick cannot be powered directly by your HDTV and should be plugged into your wall.
Jasomania
AG
"Coming soon - take Fire TV Stick with you to use with HDTVs in hotels, college dorms, airports, or anywhere with captive portal Internet access that requires entering a password or a log-in."

That's a big plus for me, I travel a lot and that's the biggest downside of the chromecast is it doesn't work in hotels
flintdragon
AG
This is more like a roku-on-a-stick right?
hurricanejake02
AG
quote:
This is more like a roku-on-a-stick right?
Well, really, that would be this
Wildmen03
AG
I ordered one, for $20 it's worth a small gamble. Also I hope this is just being cautious and it comes in before then.

quote:
Estimated delivery: Dec. 4, 2014
TracerX
quote:
I ordered one, for $20 it's worth a small gamble. Also I hope this is just being cautious and it comes in before then.

quote:
Estimated delivery: Dec. 4, 2014

What shipping speed did you use? I got Monday, December 1, 2014
Wildmen03
AG
Amazon Prime free two-day.
Jackal99
AG
I just ordered two and was given the Dec 4 date, as well. Standard Prime shipping, didn't change anything.
FightinTexag
AG
Ordered a few mins ago. Got Dec 5 delivery date.
Nomad
AG
What is the gamble you guys keep referring to? Isn't this amazon? They will let you return it.
TracerX
quote:
What is the gamble you guys keep referring to? Isn't this amazon? They will let you return it.
A return will still cost you ~$6.00 so it is a small gamble.
Dr. Venkman
AG
I ordered two this morning. "Guaranteed delivery by: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 by 8pm"
Aggie71013
AG
Just ordered one. For $19 dollars it'll at least be fun to test. I like having the ability to utilize one of my Android devices. I have issues with Plex cutting out too when casting.
Post removed:
by user
aTm2004
AG
Ordered today and got December 24th delivery date with 2 day Prime delivery. I was hoping to have it by the time the wife and I went to NYC.

Oh well, I don't have a smart TV and don't plan on buying one anytime soon and I have to replace my PS3 with a real Blu-ray player by order of the boss, so this should allow us to still get the streaming stuff as well as catch some Aggie baseball games on ESPN3.
Dr. Venkman
AG
Wildmen03
AG
Still December 4 on my end.
TracerX
My Dec. 1st date got bumped to Nov. 24th so there is a possibility of getting them a little earlier.
fig96
AG
quote:
My Dec. 1st date got bumped to Nov. 24th so there is a possibility of getting them a little earlier.
My Dec 2nd delivery was bumped to the Nov 24th as well.
cecil77
AG
Also stuck on Dec 4.

Review today: Amazon Fire TV Stick
Post removed:
by user
farmer2010
AG
I should have jumped on this last month like a lot of you guys. It now isn't in stock until Jan 15 in addition to being full price.
jagouar1
AG
Will be very interested to see reviews of this thing... specifically how performance is compared to the full device. This could be my new plex device for all my tv's.
TracerX
Reddit review here. Sounding pretty good to me.
quote:
  • How is Plex performance?
    So far I have noticed no difference in Plex performance from the original FireTV.

• Last Page
    Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.