Need recs for an audio receiver for pool

476 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by SpicewoodAg
pasquale
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Getting pool built in the early spring and will need my audio receiver replaced outside. I'm using an old DVD htib receiver that is a 5.1 so it's time to replace. Ha
What I want to accomplish:
I want our patio TV to play through my (2) current in ceiling speakers
I want to add 2 speakers that will face towards the pool

We have DirecTv and mainly use Pandora thru the receiver and other than that it is for football so not looking for high end, just something to project the tv volume.

One thing I have a concern is since the pool will be noisier would there be a way to run the speakers facing the pool separate than my in ceiling patio speakers or will all 4 have to operate at the same time?

Are my only choices to get a 7.1 or 7.2 receiver?
pasquale
AG
Bump
Buck O Five
AG
You might consider a separate sound dock or sonos system for the pool.

Your current receiver will run your two in ceilings and two additional pool speakers fine. If you want one receiver to play different sources at the same time, you will need a pricier two zone capable receiver.

7.1 vs 5.1 makes no difference for your desired applications.
adamsbq06
AG
i have a denon 7.1 assigned the extra surround speakers to the patio works great!
SpicewoodAg
AG
I can think of many ways to do this. But one way is to:

Buy a 7.1 receiver capable of two zone operation. Make Zone 1 the ceiling speakers, Zone 2 the pool facing speakers. Set Zone 2 to the same input source as Zone 1 when you want them both on. Volume is adjustable separately.

You may need to connect an analog audio cable from your Direct TV to the receiver because many receivers will only send analog audio to Zone 2. They will not not send optical or HDMI digital audio to Zone 2. If you have to do this - you might need to use analog for both Zone 1 and Zone to avoid audio timing/synchronization problems.

Another way is:

(1) put a volume control on the ceiling speakers
(2) cable the pool speakers to the "surround" or "rear" speakers of a 5.1 setup
(3) set the receiver's surround mode to "stereo F/R" or similar. This avoids Zones entirely. Sends the same left and right signals to both pairs of speakers. This is sometimes called party mode for playing background music throughout a room for a party.
pnut02
AG
You could also get one or two of the Lepai LP-2020A amps.

adamsbq06
AG
I second Spicewoods rec.. I have the same setup. actually bought a optical to analog converter to stream media from my apple TV. All i need is a projector, a screen and a wireless HDMI setup and i can watch movies in the back yard in an extremely simple way.
pasquale
AG
Thanks guys. I'll be purchasing around the holidays
QBCade
AG
Just buy a receiver like the Denon E400. Connect the TV speakers to the Fronts and connect the pool speakers to the zone2. When you want the pool on, just turn on Zone2 and have it use Zone1 source. You'll have independent volume control. Do this all the time with my setup.

E400 is EOL as Denon has brought out new models so u can prob find one cheap
SpicewoodAg
AG
quote:
Just buy a receiver like the Denon E400. Connect the TV speakers to the Fronts and connect the pool speakers to the zone2. When you want the pool on, just turn on Zone2 and have it use Zone1 source. You'll have independent volume control. Do this all the time with my setup.

E400 is EOL as Denon has brought out new models so u can prob find one cheap

That receiver will do fine. But it has exactly the restriction I mentioned above that Zone 2 can only be fed analog audio sources. There will be an audio timing difference if Zone 1 is fed digital audio and Zone 2 analog. The sound of one Zone will be a second or two behind the other. Since both speakers will be in the same area, I suggest feeding both Zone 1 and Zone 2 the same analog signal.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.