power source for a cabin with no electricity

894 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by hurricanejake02
watty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is there something less substantial than a gas powered generator that can provide a fair amount of electricity? The main reason I need it is to power my CPAP machine each night (nerd alert!). So I'm trying to find something that can provide about 8 hours of power per night to a normal plug.
LostInLA07
AG
Do you have natural gas and what is your budget?
LostInLA07
AG
For a CPAP machine only you could probably use a deep cycle marine battery and inverter.

Otherwise I think gas powered generator is your answer unless you want to power the entire house and have natural gas or LP readily available.
watty
AG
Budget is... more of one or those things where I just wanted to find out what options even exist and then that would sort of determine the budget.
akaggie05
AG
I use a deep cycle battery and inverter setup for tailgating (powers a 32" TV and Directv receiver for >10 hours, should be more than enough for a CPAP machine). Battery was around $80 at Walmart, inverter was around $50 at Radio Shack. You'll also need a way to charge the battery. If you're at the cabin for extended periods (without power), you might look at a solar trickle charger that will top it off during the day, then you can run your machine at night.
OkinTexas
quote:
Is there something less substantial than a gas powered generator that can provide a fair amount of electricity? The main reason I need it is to power my CPAP machine each night (nerd alert!). So I'm trying to find something that can provide about 8 hours of power per night to a normal plug.

Could you have solar as a backup? I think the people on here suggesting natural gas or propane are good alternatives.
OkinTexas
quote:
I use a deep cycle battery and inverter setup for tailgating (powers a 32" TV and Directv receiver for >10 hours, should be more than enough for a CPAP machine). Battery was around $80 at Walmart, inverter was around $50 at Radio Shack. You'll also need a way to charge the battery. If you're at the cabin for extended periods (without power), you might look at a solar trickle charger that will top it off during the day, then you can run your machine at night.

Endo Ag
AG
Solar won't work at night obviously, but could recharge a battery. There are wind generators, but the wind could fit down. I think the battery is your best shot with either any of solar, wind, portable generator or using a vehicle to power it back up each day
ABATTBQ11
AG
You probably wouldn't want to vehicle charge the marine battery. You're looking at blowing through a ton of gas that way. A generator would be a better solution.

I would go with solar and/or wind. There are some fairly cheap solar cells at harbor freight that you could look into.
LostInLA07
AG
You could always try this:

http://m.softpedia.com/green-bra-charges-your-mobile-phone-and-ipod-85959.html
Waterski02
AG
For under $500 you could get a 100W Solar array, along with a couple of Deep Cycle Batteries and an inverter.

I've got 3 deep cycles and a 100w panel from Renogy on my Camper van, and haven't had any issues running the fridge all day, and the stereo 8-10hrs/day.
hurricanejake02
AG
You might try something like this:

http://www.goalzero.com/p/166/goal-zero-yeti-150-solar-generator-kit/24:3/

You can charge it up before you head out, and use the solar to keep it charged while you're there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.