Any 3D Printer Nerds here?

3,762 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by txdragonfly
aggiez03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am considering building a 3d printer for both work and play, but need to get some parts printed.

Is anyone willing to print some parts?

Looking at a Prusa I3. I will send you the files.
Probably want ABS or PLA, black and blue or red

Can send money by Paypal if that will work.

TIA

aggiez
Deputy Travis Junior
I've got a 3-D printing documentary in my Netflix instant queue and will probably watch it in the next few days. That's about the best I've got.
Red Five
AG
Building a 3d printer with parts printed on a 3d printer. That's so meta.
Aggiethruthicknthin
AG
Its like needing a knife to open the packaging your knife comes in
aggiez03
AG
No one here has a 3d printer?

And you call yourselves 'NERDS'?

UmustBKidding
I have several, whats the big deal.
boy09
AG
I've recently become highly intrigued by 3D printers lately, especially the RepRap project and the Prusa i3 like the OP mentioned. Searched and found this thread, so I figured I would bump instead of starting a new thread.

OP, ever get any further on your project?

I've been looking at kits, just to speed up the process and not have to try to source all the parts separately myself. I found this kit on ebay that seems like a really good deal. The cheapest Prusa i3 kit i've found anywhere else is $499. Also stumbled across this thread discussing that particular kit, with pretty favorable reviews.

I've also had my eye on the Printrbot kits.

Anyways, like the OP, I was just curious if anyone else comments or experience with 3D printing.
AggieJason
AG
OP: We have a Makerbot at work, and are planning on experimenting with a whole army of other customer-grade 3D printers. Hit me up at aggie jason 05 at gmail dot com and we can talk from there.
aggiez03
AG
Sorry, didn't see this thread had been bumped.

boy09

I will have everything by tomorrow, printed parts are coming USPS tomorrow hopefully.

Folgertech does seem to be a good vendor.

I am sure I spent more than $499 total.

I ended up using the Azteeg X3 from Panucatt.com which is about $150 with the drivers. It is more expensive than the Arduino + RAMPS, but it is also more powerful and is an all-in-one solution.

I am also using an E3D hotend. I have the V5 version and they now have a V6 version, but I have been buying my stuff over 8+ months so the V6 was not out yet. The all-metal hotends, like the E3D are supposed to be more reliable according to the reprap forums.

I will update when I get further along. I am hoping to start assembly tomorrow if my printed parts get here.

aggiez
biobioprof
Anyone have thoughts about the approach in this Kickstarter?
boy09
AG
Well I got the Folger Tech Prusa i3 kit for Christmas. Been working on getting everything together and working. Finally had my first successful prints last night.

So far i'm very happy with it. I'm sure it's far from the greatest kit out there, but for the price it's very tough to complain. It's a more-than-capable 3D printer for $325.

Sorry for the potato quality iphone 4 pics.. Excuse all the other clutter on the table

Very first attempt at a calibration cube on the left; all 3 axes, extruder speed and temp all pretty far off. 20mm calibration cube on the right after getting all the axes and extruder dialed in. Measures 20.0mm x 20.2mm x 20.2mm. Almost there..

First useful object. A better Y-endstop for the printbed. The one that comes with the kit is pretty terrible.
skiag
AG
I'm going to try and convince my boss that we need one of these for our office. Any recommendations out there?

I was just looking at the Makergear M2. Anyone have any experience with this?
boy09
AG
No personal experience, but I can't recall ever reading anything negative about the M2. Ultimaker 2 is another popular choice.
skiag
AG
Also, is there anyone out there that can print a couple parts for me?
boy09
AG
quote:
Also, is there anyone out there that can print a couple parts for me?
Like what? Post some .STL files and i'll take a look.
skiag
AG
... Removed

let me know when you download it.... i will remove the link
boy09
AG
Got it. Those look pretty simple. I'll take a closer look when I get home this evening.
skiag
AG
Thanks!
Objective Aggie
AG
quote:
Building a 3d printer with parts printed on a 3d printer. That's so meta.

txdragonfly
AG
The RepRap concept is pretty sweet.

I'm setting up a makerspace that has a 5th Gen Replicator from MakerBot. Within reason, I can print some things and call it testing. I can also have students (middle school/junior high and graduate/undergraduate) design or customize.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.