I've had it with Linsys

1,362 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by JonLobb
Big_Russ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am about to return my Linksys AC1200. This is the third Linksys in a row that has bit the dust in less than a year.

Any suggestions on routers out there? Anybody have any other brand names to look for?
nwspmp
I ran a NetGear WNDR3700 (802.11b/g/n) for a number of years with zero problems. I run Ubiquiti UniFi-AC gear now (setup for testing and such) and it's also worked like a champ. If you're network-minded, a Mikrotik RouterBoard Rb2011 or Rb951 are decent choices (802.11b/g/n only though...) for the money but are a good bit more difficult to setup.

These are the ones I've had direct experience with in recent years...
jr15aggie
AG
I hear you... I've gone through more than a couple recently and it's really frustrating how bad so many different routers are. Basic stuff that my 10 year old router never struggled with... it's complete crap really.

I eventually went with Asus "dark knight" router. Was expensive, but worth it because it friggin works! I think you can get them under $150 now... I'd start with amazon.
Aggiethruthicknthin
AG
I like my asus rt66 quite a bit.

Ran netgear for years, but the last one I had was not working well within a year, so I switched to asus
aggieforester05
AG
I've had good luck with Netgear. I also tried an Asus for awhile that had an incredibly easy to set up user interface. The ASUS did not hold up well in a kitchen fire though.
wrinkledink
AG
Asus RT-N66U FTW! Especially with the Merlin firmware..
Big_Russ
AG
Thanks for the input. I picked up the Asus y'all mentioned (well, the on wrinkle mentioned). Coverage seems good and for the time being it has fixed by dropping problems. Hopefully this one will last me a while.
KidDoc
AG
Very very happy with range, speed, and reliability of my Nighthawk.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-nighthawk-dual-band-wireless-ac-router-with-4-port-ethernet-switch/1754208.p?id=1219062800202&skuId=1754208
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
99CentBeer
I'd check out EnGenius rather than going with another consumer grade product. A lot of their products are between consumer and higher-end-business grade. Affordable and yet easy enough to setup for a lot of average users. I've been working in IT for 10 years, and I use them all the time in small offices and a lot of client's homes as well. Very good success rate.

Checkout the AC1750 model.

EDIT: If you're very network-savvy, try one of these: http://routerboard.com/RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN
But it's not the for inexperienced to setup. For the price/performance/quality though, you 100% can't beat it. Cheaper than most high-end consumer-grade devices, but MUCH higher quality and better performing. I've used these routers for 500+ user networks with complex setups.
flakrat
AG
I've been very happy with the Asus RT-N66u, http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTN66U/ , good range, great features.
ExPLK
AG
I've also had it with my Linksys. My router loses connection once a day and has to be reset. It may sound petty, but it is enough for me to search elsewhere. I am going to give Netgear a try.
jr15aggie
AG
Nice, you'll be happy with the Asus. I've had mine about a year and never once had to power cycle it or mess with any of my devices due to lost connection. It works 100% of the time with all my devices. Wow, what a concept!
JonLobb
My Nighthawk R7000 has been rock solid. Very impressed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.