Home Media Room

3,347 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AgDev01
The Silverback
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OK, lets say you have a 14x18 room with no windows that is pre-wired for 7.1 Surround......your budget is $15k for equipment/install what do you get?

Only stipulations are it must be projector, front/Center or bookshelf, and sides/rear are wall speakers.
SpicewoodAg
AG
For speakers I would choose whatever configuration I could afford from GoldenEar.

I would choose preamp/processor+power amp instead of a receiver but that is not a popular choice. If a receiver, I would choose higher end Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, or even the much improved Sonys. Panasonic or Oppo (best) blu-ray.
adamsbq06
AG
wall speakers as in... In wall? I have a similar setup.

Dennon AVR X2000
SpeakerCraft LCR In-wall
Speaker Craft Surrounds (Inceiling) Aimable tweeters
Currently a Polk 10' Sub
PS4
AppleTV

Zone 2 is my patio I have Russound 6.5' outbacks
pnut02
AG
The Sony VPL-HW40ES is a popular 2014 projector choice, or the slightly older Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5030UB.
The Silverback
AG
Thoughts on Bowers Wilkins speakers?
AgDev01
AG
Unless you are buying the diamond series many better options to be had, concluding the golden ears mentioned above.
jagouar1
AG
Projector BenQ W1070. IMO the 1k price category is where you want to stay and every few years get the latest and greatest one. You are going to be much happier imo if you do it that way vs spend 3-4k for one now and have to keep it for the next 10 years. (put aside 3-4k if that works better for you)

This site is my go to for projector reviews: http://www.projectorreviews.com/

As for audio.... If I was buying today. Put your money into the subs and center. The other speakers are not as important. I personally will always have SV Subs in my room and I have been very impressed with it. They also make speakers now too and they get very high marks from reviewers but I have not heard them myself personally. My next speaker upgrade will probably be the Prime Series because they have some of the best built stuff out there but they are just wall mountable and not inwall (wasnt clear in your first post). http://www.svsound.com/speakers/prime-series

And speaking of the sub go dual.... SVS sells packages and go with the biggest ones you can afford.

Also on the receiver they are all pretty good as long as you stick with a name brand but if you go 2 subs you want a dual output receiver so you don't have to split.
tfunk02
AG
Agree with Spice on speakers and equipment. Amps last forever, but receivers/pre pros get old.

I agree with Jag on the projector... at least until the 4K's become reasonable. I'm hoping my Pioneer Kuro doesn't bite the dust before good 4K projectors are under $4,000.

B&W's are great speakers, but you are paying for advertising and their distribution to retail. You're going to overpay for what you get.
The Silverback
AG
So if you primarily watch sports on your screen would the average person not be able to tell the difference between the BenQ and lets say a $3k Epson? Or is it a noticeable difference but not worth the extra $$ in your opinion?

Also, have read where it is worth the money to invest in a good screen? Screen Innovations Diamond Series or I believe they also offer a grey colored screen?
SpicewoodAg
AG
Dual subs are not necessary in a 14x18 room. One good sub should be more than enough. SVS is excellent, as is Hsu for specialty makers.

I would also treat the front three as the most important. The center is very important, but you can't buy an awesome center and scrimp on front left/right. Music needs the front left/right most of all. The center is unimportant to music unless you like fake surround effects.

If the OP's priority is sports, don't spend the money for 7.1 speakers. Get a better 5.1 setup.
SpicewoodAg
AG
B&W speakers are very good, but my personal opinion is that they have long been like BMW is in cars. Quality is high, but price is dis proportionally higher.
jagouar1
AG
quote:
Dual subs are not necessary in a 14x18 room. One good sub should be more than enough. SVS is excellent, as is Hsu for specialty makers.

I would also treat the front three as the most important. The center is very important, but you can't buy an awesome center and scrimp on front left/right. Music needs the front left/right most of all. The center is unimportant to music unless you like fake surround effects.

If the OP's priority is sports, don't spend the money for 7.1 speakers. Get a better 5.1 setup.
Its not about the loudness, its about creating better bass. Getting 2 cheaper subs will give you better bass than one more expensive one. http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/two-subs
SpicewoodAg
AG
quote:
quote:

Its not about the loudness, its about creating better bass. Getting 2 cheaper subs will give you better bass than one more expensive one. http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/two-subs
The benefit of 2 vs. 1 is probably room dependent - and it will depend on what you want to hear.

The article below agrees with you that smoother bass can be achieved with multiple subs. But 2 lesser subs compared to 1 better sub will produce less deep bass. I think the room calibration/EQ in today's better receivers and pre/pros is capable of smoothing the bass response from the listening position.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/subwoofers-4-2-or-1-0

If you have the budget use two GOOD subs, not two lesser ones. Then you get the benefit of deeper bass and better room response.

bmc13
The Silverback
AG
On the sub, particularly the AVS ones, better to go sealed or ported?

Thanks for all the info btw
SpicewoodAg
AG
quote:
On the sub, particularly the AVS ones, better to go sealed or ported?

Thanks for all the info btw

Read a test report of both types from SVS below:

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/svs-sb-2000-and-pb-2000-subwoofers

I haven't heard them. My guess is that if you are not biased towards music listening you will probably prefer the punch of the ported system. Ported is also probably better for hip hop.
jthonen
AG
How do the GoldenEar subs compare to the SVS ones?
labmansid
I have an older version of this SVS sub, and you can configure it to be either ported for deeper, louder bass, or sealed using the supplied foam plugs for more musical bass. I use mine with at least one open port for the deeper bass like in movies, and it is great. More than enough power for my 17x25 viewing room.
The Silverback
AG
Labman...pretty sure that is the one I am going to get.

Found a retailer in Austin that carries the Golden Ear line and going to do the top of the line center channel, book shelves, and wall mounted side and rears.

Now just need to select screen, reciever and projector.
AgDev01
AG
I assume you are talking about Audio Systems? When I was still in SA I bought a few things from there. Both them and Whetstone Audio are great shops. Not sure what they have setup in their rooms but make sure you bring some movies/music with you to listen to while you are there.

I believe they also carry PSB. You may also want check those out.

Can I ask the reasoning for bookshelves up front? Granted the aon series is great but once you add in the cost of stands I think the triton 7s are the better option. Plus the 7s are great for music, IMO more musical that the Triton 2 or 3s.
The Silverback
AG
Gonna have a built in surrounding the screen so it's really the only options.

Ya, was at audio systems yesterday....kind of a random spot but they seem to know their stuff. They were the anti-best buy
Olag00
AG
Regarding built ins surrounding the screen, i have seen where people say the items in them rattle during movies and if you plan to put the av equipment there you will be looki g at the bright LED lights while trying to watch movies.
Olag00
AG
Also another thing to consider is a 2.35 ratio screen but since you are watching more sports/tv it may benefit keeping the 16:9 screen. I am trying to research for my media room now and I found the "constant image height" debate and it has thrown curve balls into my thought process. To go anamorphic lens or lens memory in projectors is a decision i am deciding now. I was all set to get the epson 5030ub and now looking at the panasonic 8000 for its lens memory to fill the 2.35 screen.
The Silverback
AG
I had originally planned on putting the sub in the bottom right corner of the front built in but after further review I think I will put it in the back corner of the room to avoid the rattling.

Was thinking about putting all the equipment in a cabinet with black speaker mesh covering the door of it, so it would conceal the equipment but still allow remote access to the equipment.
AgDev01
AG
quote:
Gonna have a built in surrounding the screen so it's really the only options.

Ya, was at audio systems yesterday....kind of a random spot but they seem to know their stuff. They were the anti-best buy

Are the built-ins already there or is it something you still have to do? Are you planning on putting the speakers on the shelves?
sjn
AG
Thumbs up for people buying nice speakers.
The Silverback
AG
Putting in built ins myself so I can configure anyway I want to. Yes, was planning to put bookshelf in an open cabinet....is that not a good idea?
SpicewoodAg
AG
quote:
Thumbs up for people buying nice speakers.
AgDev01
AG
If it were me i would not place them in the built-ins. Speaker placement can have a pretty big effect on sound quality and putting a speaker in an area with limited open space surrounding them will typically have a negative effect. Ideally you'll usually want to have a few feet from the back and side walls. I assumed you would be placing them on stands which is why i suggested the triton 7s over the aons.

That being said i realize you might not find having them on stands a few feet in front of the screen aesthetically appealing and if you are set on putting them on the bookshelves the audyssey or or processing software in the receiver will be helpful in that regard. I would just suggest that when you build your shelves try and get the tweeters around ear level.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.