Is the iPhone 6+ too big?

3,706 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by cecil77
Sandman23
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Now that the Apple section of the Nerdery has had a chance to acclimate and/or now that the novelty has worn off, is the phone too big or not? Debating on the 6 or 6+.

I am a 6' dude with decently large hands.

TIA
boboguitar
AG
Depends on how big of things you're used to grasping.
EMY92
AG
Too big is something that will only be defined by individuals. What is too big for someone else may be perfect for you. What is perfect for others may be too big for you.
SECivil Ag-11
AG
Just your personal preference, for me 5" screens are the sweet spot. I've tried using the Note 3 and it's just not my kinda thing and the 6+ is taller than it, even with a smaller screen. But there's a reason the demand for phablets exploded over the past few years. Swing by a store and try it out, see if it's something you can get used to quickly.

If you don't know though, the 6+ does a few things that the 6 doesn't. Higher pixel density, home screen rotation, bigger and thus longer lasting battery, and IMO the best feature: optical image stabilization. Just some things to keep in mind.
agfan2013
AG
Go into a store and hold it for yourself. Everybody is different.
G Martin 87
AG
6+ for me. I'm hoping to replace both a 5S and an iPad 3 with a single device.
Stasco
AG
quote:
Just your personal preference, for me 5" screens are the sweet spot. I've tried using the Note 3 and it's just not my kinda thing and the 6+ is taller than it, even with a smaller screen. But there's a reason the demand for phablets exploded over the past few years. Swing by a store and try it out, see if it's something you can get used to quickly.

I agree with this. I've had a Nexus 5 and now have a Oneplus One, which is the same size as the iPhone 6+. I'm 6'2" with about average hands for my height, and I thought the Nexus 5's screen was about ideal for screen size. I switched to the OPO for the battery life, storage, and CyanogenMod, and after having it a couple months, I've mostly gotten used to the screen. Still, this is probably the first phone I've had where I wouldn't mind dropping back to a slightly smaller screen.
k20dub
AG
I'm 5'9" with average size hands. There are times that the phone is a little big and isn't always the most comfortable thing in my pocket, however, I think the good far outweighs the bad. The battery life is amazing and so is using the huge screen for emails, taking pictures, or watching videos. I am glad I went with the plus.
Kooch 3:16
AG
No.
agdoc2001
AG
Yes. Next question.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggietaco
AG
I like my 6 better, but I would have had no issues with the 6+.
thann07
AG
Yes. In particular, I think it's competition at this size outclasses it. Apple gets by with it because a lot of the competition is internal (people really choose between the6 and 6+), but I think the screen, pen, and multi tasking of the Note 4 blow it out of the water.

It's nice to have when using. But, I often wish I had just gone for the 6. The size is just a bit big/uncomfortable at times--and I'm yet to be convinced that the benefits outweigh that convenience.
Token
AG
no
nguyenning
AG
Nah, I like the size. Then again, I'm coming from Android where I was using Galaxy S and Note devices and the occasional HTC One and Google Nexus phones.

Sure, some things are more difficult to use one handed but for the extra battery life and incredible camera, it's worth it.
I've just started using the reachability function where you double tap (not press) the home button and the screen lowers. Sounds dumb, but it's been useful when you really can only use one hand (driving, eating, etc...)
cablinaggie
AG
No problem with the size but since Speck hasn't come out with their card case for it yet, I've left the house 5 times without ID or credit cards.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
I've had the 6+ for a month now. Can't imagine going back to anything smaller.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
I have the 6 and it's perfect for me (about 6'2 with large hands).

I don't think I'd have a problem with the 6+ when using it, but I wouldn't want to go any bigger than the 6 when thinking about walking around with it, putting it in my pocket when walking somewhere, etc.
Sandman23
AG
Thanks for all the responses. I definitely plan on going by an Apple store and playing around with them, but wanted to hear it from those of you who have been using it for a while.
3rdGenAg06
AG
The trend around here is "____-inch screen is the perfect size! I wouldn't want anything bigger."

...(time passes)...(larger size phone is released)...

"The new ____-inch screen is the perfect size! I can't imagine going back to anything smaller!"
Bevo99
I very rarely talk on my phone. 95% of my usage is texting, web browsing, and playing games. When I do talk its usually speaker phone sitting on my desk, or bluetooth in my car.

Give me the biggest phone I can fit in my pocket.
Stasco
AG
quote:
The trend around here is "____-inch screen is the perfect size! I wouldn't want anything bigger."

...(time passes)...(larger size phone is released)...

"The new ____-inch screen is the perfect size! I can't imagine going back to anything smaller!"

This was definitely the trend for me until I got to the Oneplus One. It's two months in, and I still think the ideal would be this phone, but half an inch smaller.
WoMD
I've already got enough in my pants. No room for that monster.
BBQ4Me
AG
Tampax XXL Mega Flow Defender?
WoMD
quote:
Tampax XXL Mega Flow Defender?

Hey, you can't argue with results.
TexasRebel
AG
I still think the 5's are too big.

There may not be a perfect size, but the 4S was pretty darn close to it.
OkinTexas
My wife has the 6 The six plus was just too big for her. i like the six plus size, but it is just a little too large for comfort when I put it I my pocket. i have an htc one m7 and it's a good size for me. I'll go up to the m8 eventually but that's okay much my size limit. i hope you enjoy whatever phone you decide upon!
Endo Ag
AG
I like the size of my first gen HTC One the best. Nexus 5 is just a bit more than I want. Biggest thing for me is running with my phone and if the phone will fit in the gen pocket built into must running shorts. The extra half inch means I run with an external belt carrier more often.

No way I would buy a phablet.
Naked Hiker
AG
Just got mine activated and absolutely love it. I can finally type as fast as I want with my fat thumbs
ashleyschaeffer
quote:
Just got mine activated and absolutely love it. I can finally type as fast as I want with my fat thumbs
Where do you...where do you put it when you hike?
biobioprof
I use my iPad when I want something larger. It will be interesting to see what the options are when my 5S is ready to be replaced. I like my 5S, but the larger screen vs the 4 I had before isn't a big plus for me.

My wife thought the original 3.5" iPhone was too big so she still has a Nokia flip phone. Not sure what we're going to do when that finally breaks down. Her previous phone was held together with rubber bands by the time we replaced it.
Bregxit
AG
quote:
quote:
Where do you...where do you put it when you hike?
cecil77
AG

You guys are young, but it's not just hands, it's eyes as well.

I use Teamviewer for remote support, and a phablet sized phone is much better than my Nexus 5. I don't quite have to put on reading glasses for the larger screen. I'd planned on a Nexus 6 until they announced the price, so the OPO is looking interesting.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.