There's a (not so) little brown spot on the Sun today....

1,375 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by wangus12
labmansid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Took this shot a little while ago. This is the largest spot that has appeared on the Sun in quite some time. I believe I heard that the active region including the giant spot is about the same size as the planet Jupiter. Also, this region is capable of producing some impressive flares, and has done so recently.

bbattbq01
AG
Are we all about to die??

Nice pic.
heineman78
OMG!!! THE SCORCH TRIALS ARE UPON US!!!
cochrum
AG
Awesome pic. What kind of scope did you use?
labmansid
quote:
Awesome pic. What kind of scope did you use?

Thanks for the comments.
I used a Canon long telephoto lens with a Canon 7D DSLR camera. I had a special solar filter on the front of the lens to reduce the light to a safe level.
Actually that sunspot is actively flaring right now. Might be a pretty big one, too. I wish I had a good way to show what it looks like in Hydrogen alpha light, it looks really cool. There should be some good pics of it later on at Cloudy Nights Solar section.
wangus12
AG

From the Solar Observatory this morning.
GoAgs92
AG
even the sun gives ITSELF freckles...******* sun

double aught
AG
King of Pain
Jason_Ag98
AG
I went out to check out the solar eclipse and was able to see the sunspot with the naked eye (well, with a couple of crossed polarizing filters). Cool!
wangus12
AG
A few of the shots I took with a handheld digital camera and a pair of welding goggles. Apologize for the size. In the last shot, you can see the sunspot just above the cloud at the bottom.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.