OSX Yosemite - who's using it

1,721 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by nwspmp
biobioprof
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I tend to wait, but this one is kind of tempting, especially since I actually use Apple Mail. Anyone already using it? Thoughts?
howdydamnit04
AG
Mail seems to be a bit buggy since I updated this weekend. Quite a few crashes. I'd hold off a week or two.
tfunk02
AG
Just got it today and realized that Parallels is claiming I have to upgrade to the new version for it to work ($50). I'm sick of giving them money after every update. Looks like I'll just bootcamp it for now.

I'm not much help on anything else. I haven't had time to play on it much.
MGS
Yeah, I got sick of Parallels' subscription model and switched to VirtualBox.
Physical Graffiti
AG
I'm using it and use the Mail app too. I have not experienced any crashes but I am experiencing a delay in sending/receiving.Other than that, it is working well. I love being able to send iMessages as well as SMS from my desktop. I've also answered a call too and that was nice.

An Ag in CO
AG
Installed on both MacBook Pro and Mac Pro and have not had any issues other than some duplicate events showing up on Calendar related to implementation of Family Share. Only had one installed program not compatible and just haven't gotten around to installing the update. Really like some of the new features.
Token
AG
Love the sms from laptop. Killer feature
rynning
AG
How long does the upgrade take from Mavericks?
Token
AG
Took about an hour for me
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
I'm using it, but I'm unable to figure out how to use some of the main features which were promoted.

- I have an iPhone 5, but I haven't been able to see how the Continuity feature is used. Both my laptop and phone are completely updated, but I'm not showing the feature kicking in.

- The SMS feature. I try to send a text message from my computer to my non-iPhone contacts, but no luck. Doesn't go through.

Best thing so far is answering the phone from my laptop. So far, so good.
Disarmer
AG
quote:
How long does the upgrade take from Mavericks?
IIRC, it's a little over 5GB so it depends on what kind of download speeds you can get.

I've updated to Yosemite and I actually really like it. I think the new dock is very clean and there are a few little things here and there that I keep noticing that don't make a huge difference, but make it a slightly better experience overall. Also have not had any issues with Mail yet.
khkman22
AG
Anybody else having the issue where the wi-fi connection keeps dropping?
2006EE
AG
I am. I can't get mail to work at all. My mail preferences completely disappeared and I can't make it my default mail client. Talked to support and they had me re install OSx. That didn't help.
nwspmp
One thing to note; if you run an OpenVPN based connection, then you really need to ensure that your provider has an updated client before running the upgrade. One of our executives, upgraded his Mac without letting us know and his VPN is hosed since Yosemite disallows the running of unsigned KEXTs and the Tun/Tap kexts in many clients aren't signed. Tunnelblick does have updated ones and as soon as I get home, I'll be testing them with my own MBP...

Just an FYI...
FancyKetchup14
AG
quote:
One thing to note; if you run an OpenVPN based connection, then you really need to ensure that your provider has an updated client before running the upgrade. One of our executives, upgraded his Mac without letting us know and his VPN is hosed since Yosemite disallows the running of unsigned KEXTs and the Tun/Tap kexts in many clients aren't signed. Tunnelblick does have updated ones and as soon as I get home, I'll be testing them with my own MBP...

Just an FYI...

I'm sorry but can you re word this? Except this time could you do it in english?
JonLobb
quote:
Anybody else having the issue where the wi-fi connection keeps dropping?
my wi-fi connectivity has actually gotten a lot better since I upgraded to Yosemite on my Air. With Mavericks it would drop constantly.
VanGogh@1
My wifi connectivity improved with Yosemite as well. To get text message forwarding you need to enable Bluetooth on both devices and activate forwarding in your messages settings.
nwspmp
quote:
quote:

Just an FYI...

I'm sorry but can you re word this? Except this time could you do it in english?
If you use a remote VPN connection (for a remote worker back to their office, or a privacy-based VPN) that's based on the OpenVPN software, then there are problems with the software and Yosemite.

Yosemite is now requiring any driver-level software (which a VPN uses to make it's connection) to be cryptographically signed, ensuring that the software that's running is legitimate and hasn't been tampered with, since the release from the manufacturer.

Some OpenVPN based clients (of which, our Watchguard is one) haven't released a compatible driver yet.

Tunnelblick is a very commonly used VPN client software and has signed drivers. I'm going to be attempting this weekend to use those drivers in conjunction with the rest of our VPN client software to let it work.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.