Try this again..Surface pro 3 vs macbook vs laptop

1,667 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by ksp
ksp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The surface pro with detachable keyboard and touch screen also.

My old lap top is junk and I have an Ipad but need something that does it all.
Token
AG
Get a MacBook air
La Fours
AG
You can get a good Windows touch screen laptop for a lot less than a Surface Pro 3. If you have never used a Mac OS before, it's not like iOS. And there will be a big learning curve coming from Windows.

diehard03
So, you're really just looking for laptop, and you want guidance on which one to choose.

So, I say buy a laptop. it's the best I can say with the information given.
ksp
I wouldn't mind replacing a laptop with one of the above, hence the questions, if somebody has info that makes the other two superior to a laptop.
92ags
AG
I bought the Surface Pro 3 to replace my iPad and my MacBook Air. Primary reason is that I use a tablet for very specific reasons and I use MS Word and PPt all day every day. I was tired of the partition not working right and having to carry several devices.

I had a friend who had done the same thing with great success. I have had mine for 2 months now and do not regret the move. Has been great for me.

Best of luck.
jagouar1
AG
What the surface pro 3 excels at is being the jack of all trades but has some flaws. It serves both the laptop and tablet space well but not quite as well as a separate dedicated tablet and laptop. That is exactly what I wanted though because managing even 2 devices is kind of a pita when you could have just one. It's not just the device itself but keeping it charged, 2 sets of cables, accessories for each, etc.

Since getting my pro 3 don't use my ipad (sold it) or android tablet (gave to my parents). The surface pro 3 is my only device now and I am quite happy with it.
howitzercannon
AG
How does chromecast work with it?

I want a surface pro to replace my laptop and cover my need for a tablet, but I need it to be able to chromecast as well
mjpfeffer98
AG
My wife is getting a Suface Pro (I guess a 3) from her work soon, I'm curious to see how it is.
jg07
AG
The surface pro 3 is one of my favorite tech purchases of all time. I'm an Engineer and I use it as my main computer. I'm using a USB 3.0 port replicator to drive two additional monitors at work. It runs AutoCAD really well. I use the pen for signing and marking up plans. I carry it to all meetings and take notes using OneNote. Its so light that sometimes I have to check to make sure that I put it in my bag.
Kampfers
AG
I tested the surface pro 3 extensively prior to getting a macbook air just a few weeks ago. While I really liked it and repeatedly tried to convince myself to buy it, the keyboard quality simply wasn't "there" yet. I found myself repeatedly making typos which if I'm using it for my job, is simply going to add a lot of time and annoyance to my day. Got a macbook air (first mac, actually), and have really enjoyed it so far. The build quality is exceptional.
ksp
Awesome people, thanks for the great feedback!
92ags
AG
Kampfers. The keyboard that serves as a cover for the SP3 is a bit flimsy I will give you that, but I am on the keyboard all day (communications company), and I have gotten quite used to it.

You could also get a blue tooth keyboard and use it with the dock. I bought the dock for it as well and having the 4 or so extra ports is awesome. I would agree with the poster above and it hurts me to say this as a former "Apple Fanboy"... but I love the SP3. So much so that I just traded in my Note 3 and moved to the Nokia 1520 Windows Phone so I could be in the same 'eco system" and unbelievably I really like the phone and windows 8.1...

(Can't believe this is me). Heck I even have an Apple sticker on my Jeep.
m-walker
AG
I gave microsoft every chance I could.

13in macbookpro here
Kampfers
AG
quote:
Kampfers. The keyboard that serves as a cover for the SP3 is a bit flimsy I will give you that, but I am on the keyboard all day (communications company), and I have gotten quite used to it.

You could also get a blue tooth keyboard and use it with the dock. I bought the dock for it as well and having the 4 or so extra ports is awesome. I would agree with the poster above and it hurts me to say this as a former "Apple Fanboy"... but I love the SP3. So much so that I just traded in my Note 3 and moved to the Nokia 1520 Windows Phone so I could be in the same 'eco system" and unbelievably I really like the phone and windows 8.1...

Ha, I'm almost the opposite. Finally caved and got a mac, love it. As far as the bluetooth keyboard, it just wouldn't be as convenient. I'm on the move a lot and wouldn't want to lug it around.

Don't get me wrong, the SP3 is a fantastic piece of hardware. It just wasn't for me this time.

jagouar1
AG
quote:
quote:

Ha, I'm almost the opposite. Finally caved and got a mac, love it. As far as the bluetooth keyboard, it just wouldn't be as convenient. I'm on the move a lot and wouldn't want to lug it around.

Don't get me wrong, the SP3 is a fantastic piece of hardware. It just wasn't for me this time.

To me the surface pro is a better "on the go" machine than any laptop because it has the tablet aspects. For example you can easily use the sp3 while standing or walking around and has the pen and onscreen keyboard for those aspects (I've actually used both quite a bit when walking around.... its VERY useful to be able to do that). Any traditional laptop has to be pretty stationary in order to actually use it.

Then as mentioned when you are at home dock it and use your monitor and kb/mouse. The sp3 is designed for use with a dock where mbp has had that functionality tacked on by 3rd parties (henge docks with the best implementation) but because they are a 3rd party the integration isn't as seamless or smooth as sp3. IMO the sp3 is quite a bit more flexible in the ways it can be used and that was the big seller for me.
ksp
Loved checking out the SP3, neat little machine. APPS are lacking but assume that will get a little better over time.

Going to pull the trigger this weekend on something, again thanks all for the feedback.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.