Any of you photogs do time-lapse?

1,759 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by bthotugigem05
bthotugigem05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't sleep very well so I'm usually up in time to plan for sunrise time-lapses. I use a Sony a7 that has an intervalometer app that I've been using to put a few together. I use Lightroom to apply my normal editing workflow and then Photoshop to put the videos together and do the zoom effect.

Here are a few that I've done recently. I locked the exposure on all of them, which wasn't smart, but I do like the effect so far, looking forward to exploring this more once I get some more RAM for my iMac so it doesn't almost explode every time I put one together.

labmansid
All right, another Time Lapse junkie! I have been doing some TL for the last couple of years or so. I have always been fascinated by it.

Looks like you already have a pretty good grasp of the concept and technique. There is a lot of good info, samples, and resources at Timescapes.org. I use my Canon DSLR along with a Velo shutter release that has an intervalometer function built into it. Like you, I use Lightroom to do the post work on the images, but then use QuickTime Pro to assemble them all into the movie.

Here is one I did this summer of Kyle Field.
I did one of some bluebonnets a year and a half ago.
A fading thunderstorm at Lake Somerville last summer.

Anyway, good to see someone else doing some TL work. Keep us posted of some more.
Pro Sandy
AG
Oh Wow!

Those were awesome!

Sid, I loved the bluebonnet one. That's like watching a documentary on Discovery Channel! The milkyway one, whoa. All the shooting starts were great and the clouds looked surreal.

OP, I loved the zooming out on yours. I liked the concept of watching the sunrise and seeing how the landscape changes.

Yalls work is great!
ABKitch
AG
these are all awesome...thanks for sharing!
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Good job by both of you.

I loved that Lake Somerville sequence.
Karrde
AG
I've done a few small ones, but unfortunately they were at work and I can't share them :/
OkinTexas
quote:
I don't sleep very well so I'm usually up in time to plan for sunrise time-lapses. I use a Sony a7 that has an intervalometer app that I've been using to put a few together. I use Lightroom to apply my normal editing workflow and then Photoshop to put the videos together and do the zoom effect.

Here are a few that I've done recently. I locked the exposure on all of them, which wasn't smart, but I do like the effect so far, looking forward to exploring this more once I get some more RAM for my iMac so it doesn't almost explode every time I put one together.

Stunning. I can't offer any advice, but I'll head only watch these.
OD
quote:
All right, another Time Lapse junkie! I have been doing some TL for the last couple of years or so. I have always been fascinated by it.

Looks like you already have a pretty good grasp of the concept and technique. There is a lot of good info, samples, and resources at Timescapes.org. I use my Canon DSLR along with a Velo shutter release that has an intervalometer function built into it. Like you, I use Lightroom to do the post work on the images, but then use QuickTime Pro to assemble them all into the movie.

Here is one I did this summer of Kyle Field.
I did one of some bluebonnets a year and a half ago.
A fading thunderstorm at Lake Somerville last summer.

Anyway, good to see someone else doing some TL work. Keep us posted of some more.

Loved that third one. I'm slowly gearing up to take astronimical pics. Can't wait till I have the stuff I need.
bthotugigem05
AG
The Somerville one is incredible! What sort of equipment did you use for that?

Here's one from Central Park in NYC that I was really happy with, lots of dodging and burning and whatnot before going into the time lapsing machine.

Central Park Sunrise
wee_ag
AG
Nice work!

I've been experimenting with timelapses for a couple of years and from my experience and what I've read, locking your exposure and aperture is the best way to avoid flicker in your timelapse (sudden jumps in brighter and darker frames), unless you are shooting from day to night or night to day, which seems to be what you like.

I've got a Vimeo portfolio of some of my work here: https://vimeo.com/adkphoto/videos

Adirondack Timelapse: Perseid Meteor Shower - 2013

Psalm 19 - The Glory of God

The Dreamboat Gets Married

Adirondack Timelapse: Milky Way over Helldiver Pond

I shoot with a Canon 5D Mark II and use an external intervalometer and edit using Photoshop, Premiere Pro and After Effects.
labmansid
quote:
The Somerville one is incredible! What sort of equipment did you use for that?

Here's one from Central Park in NYC that I was really happy with, lots of dodging and burning and whatnot before going into the time lapsing machine.

Central Park Sunrise
I like the zooming effect you get with yours. Might have to check into that. Is it something fairly automated in Photoshop, or somewhat tedious?

Glad to see you are still doing some TL, wee ag. Putting that slider to good use.

I used a Canon 7D with their 10-22mm wide angle lens I believe at 10mm, and an intervalometer/remote shutter release. I recently got a refurb 6D, and am anxious to see how it does with nighttime TL.

I got kind of lucky with the thunderstorm. I had gone to the lake with the intention of just trying to get someplace nearby that might be relatively dark with a clear horizon for the Milky Way. Had no idea the storm was going until I got down there and started setting up before it got dark. I did manage to get a short closeup of the storm beforehand as it was getting dark and the storm was fading.

Short lightning storm
bthotugigem05
AG
It isn't completely automated, but takes like a minute to do. This video (the free preview) explains it starting at 14:58.
bthotugigem05
AG
Put together a time-lapse short film, thought I'd share here:
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.