Syncing itunes libraries between computers

581 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by JonLobb
moore42
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I currently manage my itunes music on my work laptop with music saved on a external hard drive.

I now want to move my library to my home desktop to maintain and back it up to the external hard drive.

That being said, I primarily listen to itunes music at work.

How can I keep the itunes libraries on my home computer and my work computer in sync?
moore42
AG
I am also trying to set up Google Drive so I have access to other documents. Supposed I buy the 100 GB plan for $1.99 a month. How can I make this work for my storage of the itunes library and both computers just sync with google drive?
bmks270
AG
Try Google play.

Ganondorf
AG
I don't know much about iTunes but i assume you select a folder that your stuff is saved in? If that is the case then you select your Google drive folder on both machines and then they will be reading from the same stuff.
JonLobb
under File turn on "Home Sharing" on the computer currently containing the music, Computer A

now, on the new computer, Computer B, log in with the same Apple ID as Computer A

Along the top ribbon under the play button there will be a drop down for selecting the library. Select Computer A from the drop down. At the bottom of iTunes there should be a button that says something to the effect of "sync music not on this device."

That will copy the music from Computer A to Computer B

I haven't done this in a while, but IIRC that is the proper procedure. It is possible, I have done it a few times. If that doesn't work I can look and see how, or you can google "iTunes home sharing"
irock2513
AG
You could also sign up for iTunes Match... makes the process very simple, but there is a $30/yr fee. It also takes ads away from iTunes Radio, if you ever use that
moore42
AG
I think its time to upgrade to iTunes match for the music since i'm pretty much all-in on itunes and then use google drive to sync/share/access docs.

$25 a year isnt that bad.

MGS
quote:
Try Google play.

+1
adamsbq06
AG
get itunes match
Disarmer
AG
quote:
under File turn on "Home Sharing" on the computer currently containing the music, Computer A

now, on the new computer, Computer B, log in with the same Apple ID as Computer A

Along the top ribbon under the play button there will be a drop down for selecting the library. Select Computer A from the drop down. At the bottom of iTunes there should be a button that says something to the effect of "sync music not on this device."

I haven't done this in a while, but IIRC that is the proper procedure. It is possible, I have done it a few times. If that doesn't work I can look and see how, or you can google "iTunes home sharing"
This method works great, but requires both devices to be on the same network. If the OP is trying to sync home and work computers, it won't work very well.
adamsbq06
AG
hence the iTunes match suggestion...
JonLobb
quote:
quote:

This method works great, but requires both devices to be on the same network. If the OP is trying to sync home and work computers, it won't work very well.
i saw work laptop and was assuming that the laptop was on the same network. if he'd said work deskop that would be different.

this now begs the question for OP.

is the laptop at home on the same network, or at work?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.