HBO launching it's own standalone streaming service

1,947 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by howitzercannon
hurricanejake02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
USA Today Article

quote:
The media company confirmed it will launch a standalone service for streaming its programs starting in 2015 that will not require a cable subscription. The service was revealed by HBO Chairman and CEO Richard Plepler during Time Warner's investor meeting on Wednesday.

"That is a large and growing opportunity that should no longer be left untapped," said Plepler of the rise in broadband-only homes. "It is time to remove all barriers to those who want HBO."

Is this the beginning of "a la carte" offerings? Is everyone just going to launch their own streaming service?
BEaggie08
AG
BOOM!

This is outstanding news.
Fenrir
Hopefully they offer their newer seasons and not just older ones like their current Amazon Prime offerings.

Also curious about the price, surely it will be more than the $16 or so that cable companies charge for HBO.
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
Hopefully they offer their newer seasons and not just older ones like their current Amazon Prime offerings.

Also curious about the price, surely it will be more than the $16 or so that cable companies charge for HBO.
I think it will have to offer current shows and I don't think it will cost more than $15 - 20 a month. Otherwise, why not just get Amazon Prime (with it's other shows and shipping benefits) or get HBO from your cable company?
BBQ4Me
AG
Hope this is the start of a-la-carte.
Fenrir
If it's cheaper than the cost of getting HBO through Cable, I can't imagine it will have newer shows/seasons.

Even if it costs a little more than the cost of getting HBO through cable, it's still a savings for those that don't want cable in the first place.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
No GoT no care
Predmid
AG
^
That.
Aggietaco
AG
quote:

And the start of price hikes and caps with your ISP.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:

And the start of price hikes and caps with your ISP.

Suddenlink is way ahead of you
jagouar1
AG
I do think this is a good thing but the fact that the price was not announced makes me think it will be expensive. And to me the current price is expensive. $10 would be good but I could stomach $15. $20 (which is what I expect) is too much.
LostInLA07
AG
I bet it'll be the same as what they charge through cable/sat. HBO would still make more $ bc they wouldn't have the cable company taking their cut.
Guitarsoup
AG
My guess is $19-25/month
MSCAg
AG
$15 would be an awesome price point. Much higher than $20, I'm not sure how effective it'll be.
Ragoo
AG
With HBO online, chromaecast/appletv and huluplus what live content would you miss?
Aggietaco
AG
You must be female. Sports.
Ragoo
AG
Watchespn
MSCAg
AG
Watch ESPN requires a cable subscription, unless you mooch someones.

If ESPN went this route, that would be the ultimate game changer.
jr15aggie
AG
If ESPN would follow suite my cable would be disconnected the next day.
JonLobb
there are dozens of websites that stream every sports game you can imagine. that's a non-issue.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
there are dozens of websites that stream every sports game you can imagine. that's a non-issue.

Legally?
JonLobb
quote:
quote:

Legally?
dude. internet
k20dub
AG
quote:

I would rather watch in Full HD on my big screen then click 15 different links with pop ups every 3 minutes. Maybe that's just me.
JonLobb
quote:
quote:

I would rather watch in Full HD on my big screen then click 15 different links with pop ups every 3 minutes. Maybe that's just me.
I watch nearly ever Ravens game this way, just mirror from my laptop. Usually in SD though, but no popups.
EMY92
AG
quote:

It wouldn't make sense for ESPN to do this. Right now, they get $5/month from every cable and satellite customer, even if only half of them watch sports. They don't want to lose the funding from the non-fanatical sports fans.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:

It wouldn't make sense for ESPN to do this. Right now, they get $5/month from every cable and satellite customer, even if only half of them watch sports. They don't want to lose the funding from the non-fanatical sports fans.
They could still get $5 from every cable and sat customer and an additional $20 from every cable cutter that wants to watch sports.
Aggietaco
AG
quote:
quote:

Not to mention all of the ****ing soccer ads and Jaguar commercials.
rbcs_2
AG
quote:
quote:

Now that's an odd choice.
BBQ4Me
AG
CBS just announced their service for $6/mo. Great? No because they stupidly don't include NFL games
JonLobb
NFL tv licensing is one of the most brutally ****ed up things in entertainment right now.

How many college football games are on TV on saturday throughout the day? 40? 50? more?

How many NFL games are on TV on sunday in any given market? 5

oh you want to see somebody OTHER than the Cowboys and Texans play every week? That'll be $200 a year please.

go f yourself NFL
Fenrir
quote:
CBS just announced their service for $6/mo. Great? No because they stupidly don't include NFL games
People realize that antennas still work right?
hurricanejake02
AG
quote:
quote:
I have to assume that the $6/mo covers you having online access to all content - not just what you set up your TiVo and antenna to record. Worth it? Probably not if you have an antenna and can manage a DVR that works with it.
Fenrir
Doesn't cover NFL games. That's a pretty important part of their content. Every content provider having their own subscription system is not going to be sustainable.
BBQ4Me
AG
quote:
quote:

I live too far from the CBS station to get a decent signal
MSCAg
AG
quote:

That's too high. Hulu is 8 or 9 bucks and that's NBC/Fox/and ABC.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.