PC Build

2,693 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by pnut02
JJxvi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not rate my build, but more like "I haven't tried this in over 10 years so please look at this and help me fix it before I **** it up"

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wYZGdC

Will throw in the optical drive from my last system as well
pnut02
AG
First thought, I would suggest at least a 256GB SSD as your primary OS drive, then use your 1TB for the data drive. I'm a fan of the Samsung Evo and Pro lines, but there may be others out there that are just as good. Impressive build!
JonLobb
Yeah, you're definitely going to want to stick a good SSD in there. I recommend the Samsung Pro line as well, 256 should be about right.

Stick with the Pro line, the Evo is pretty meh.

But with all the computing power you've got in there between the i7 and the GTX 970 that 1TB HDD is going to be a bottleneck.

If this were my build, and it's pretty similar to my last big budget build, I'd swap out that fancy WD black hard drive for a standard WD blue for 3/4 the price and then add an SSD.

Only other thing I would recommend is a bigger PSU. 650W seems a little light.

You've got the MOBO and the GPU to go SLI with a second 970 in the future, but that PSU just won't get you there, so if you want the second 970 you'll also be forking over another $100-$200 for a new power supply at the same time.
JJxvi
AG
Got a power supply recommendation? I do have one friend who is recommending 1000W which seems really ridiculous for this build. I cant imagine this drawing more than 500W so it seems the power supply would always be running at a very low percent of capacity which Ive heard is also bad, but I can see your point about future SLI.
JonLobb
My big rig has an NZXT Hale 700W power supply.

I'm a big fan of NZXT products in general, especially their power supplies. It's a great modular system with sturdy connections and cords.

It's not the cheapest power supply out there, but also not the most expensive. I have the Bronze level PSU, but if you have the coin you can pay extra for more efficient versions.
agdoc2001
AG
Unless you're going 4K, why bother with SLI? That single 970 will run almost anything on ultra in 1080p (other than the unoptimized crap Ubisoft puts out). I'd keep the power supply, but I agree with ditching the WD Black and getting an ssd.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JonLobb
with this setup and the possibility of the SLI in the future I would say either the NZXT Hale82 700W (the same that I use). The GTX 970 draws about the same power as the GTX 760s that I have.
JJxvi
AG
Speaking of WD hard drives. I noticed Mainstream and Performance and something else branded drives that Id never noticed before, are those just rebranded blues/greens/blacks or what?
JonLobb
quote:
Speaking of WD hard drives. I noticed Mainstream and Performance and something else branded drives that Id never noticed before, are those just rebranded blues/greens/blacks or what?
were they they grey and orange boxes?
JJxvi
AG
Orange/yellow is the color I remember
JonLobb
quote:
Orange/yellow is the color I remember
yeah, those are the last generation of hard drives. Fry's persists in filling their shelves with them for some reason. I suspect they're sitting on a mountain of them in their warehouse.
JJxvi
AG
Ah, thanks
JJxvi
AG
I guess I'll probably get a an Samsung 850 pro 256. My old machine had a 640 GB HDD in it, I'll see if that one still works fine and shove it in instead of buying a new HDD right now.
JonLobb
yeah, HDD are cheap.

another option that's a little different

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-22-178-381-_-10152014_1

NewEgg has the 1TB hybrid drive on fire sale right now for $70. It's not quite as fast as a true SSD, but from the benchmarks I've seen it's pretty dang close.
JJxvi
AG
Pleased with how this turned out, thanks for the input!
JonLobb
is it done?

what did you end up with?
HossAg
AG
Hey JonLobb, a little off topic, but I'm getting a home pc for the women to use for basic tasks like word, web browsing, etc. No gaming or graphic intensive usage, but I want it to be fast. We have an old Vista computer that has a Pentium in it, and it's just slow as molasses. I'm sure this'll be fast enough, but wanted to run it by here for y'all to look.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&sku=1059532&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Between the I5 and 8 gb of ram, I'm assuming it'll run multiple Windows of basic stuff easily.
pnut02
AG
Hoss, keep an eye on Slickdeals.net and the Dell outlet store as well (if you haven't been already). You might be able to find a better price for a similar configuration.
HossAg
AG
Gotta have it by the 26th, this is pretty much the best deal I could find. (No tax and free expidited shipping)
JJxvi
AG
quote:
is it done?

what did you end up with?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sw6m7P

Yeah done. This setup plus a Pioneer DVD-RW optical drive and a 640GB WD caviar blue HDD from an old machine.
JonLobb
quote:
Hey JonLobb, a little off topic, but I'm getting a home pc for the women to use for basic tasks like word, web browsing, etc. No gaming or graphic intensive usage, but I want it to be fast. We have an old Vista computer that has a Pentium in it, and it's just slow as molasses. I'm sure this'll be fast enough, but wanted to run it by here for y'all to look.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&sku=1059532&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Between the I5 and 8 gb of ram, I'm assuming it'll run multiple Windows of basic stuff easily.
that will be blisteringly fast for basic word processing and web browsing.
pnut02
AG
jjxvi, Amazon has the Samsung Pro 256GB for $135 (+ tax) right now

www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-Series-2-5-Inch-MZ-7PD256BW/dp/B009NB8WRU/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.