Rate my build

1,299 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by JonLobb
JonLobb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Super budget PC gaming rig for my brother

Mobo: AsRock B85 Anniversary LGA 1150
CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 Haswell Dual-Core 3.5Ghz
GPU: XFX Radeon R7 265 2GB
SSD: SanDisk 64GB Ultra Plus
HDD: WD Blue 1TB
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3 2400
PSU: CoolerMaster Extreme 2 - 525W

eh? what say you
Stasco
AG
As someone who appreciates cost control, I'd say that's pretty solid.
stridulent
AG
I'd recommend at least 120gb on an SSD. Also good to include what your primary uses for the rig will be.
MSCAg
AG
What does the total cost come to?
JonLobb
CPU, MOBO, HDD, GPU came to just over $400

the SSD, RAM, and PSU are being recycled from another build. I think there's about another $150 there.

Total investment probably comes to around $600, maybe a little under.
mid90
AG
I'm not a computer expert by any means, but I'm not sure how much 8GB of RAM will do for you if you've only got an i3 processor.

Price seems great though.
Krys
AG
quote:
I'm not a computer expert by any means, but I'm not sure how much 8GB of RAM will do for you if you've only got an i3 processor.

That i3 supports up to 32GB of RAM.

Really good value build
Maximus_Meridius
AG
quote:
I'd recommend at least 120gb on an SSD. Also good to include what your primary uses for the rig will be.
This. I tried a 64 on my build, and with the way Windows allocates some hidden program files it filled up very quickly. I changed out to a 256 gb Samsung. Wasn't that expensive from Newegg.
stridulent
AG
quote:
quote:
This. I tried a 64 on my build, and with the way Windows allocates some hidden program files it filled up very quickly. I changed out to a 256 gb Samsung. Wasn't that expensive from Newegg.

That, and your main programs will benefit greatly from being on the SSD as well, whether they be games, multimedia editing applications, or your basic Microsoft Office applications. Leave room for them!
JonLobb
I have the 64GB SSD because it's left over from my main rig, which was not a budget rig by any means.

I started with the 64, but realized quickly it wasn't big enough so I swapped it out for a 240GB SSD.

I'll probably do the same in the near future for this new one, but the 64 should serve its purpose for the time being.
JonLobb
does anybody have any experience with the i3-4150?

I only have a desktop with an overclocked to hell and back i7-4770k and a MacBook with an i5.

even the mobile version of the i5 is absurdly fast for 99% of things, I run Autocad and Photoshop without a problem.

the desktop version of the i3 should be comparable to the mobile i5 correct?
wrinkledink
AG
Would this desktop handle GoPro video editing (60fps video) OK?
JonLobb
quote:
I've edited video on my MBA before and it worked well.

The benefit with the Air though is the PCI-e SSD. If I were building a rig with video editing in mind I would buy the largest SSD I could afford, maybe even spring for a PCI-e SSD. Video editing is very data transfer intensive.
pnut02
AG
I may be completely wrong, but I believe you want to stick with a standard hard drive when doing audio/video editing due to the number of read/writes.
SpicewoodAg
AG
quote:
quote:
I've edited video on my MBA before and it worked well.

The benefit with the Air though is the PCI-e SSD. If I were building a rig with video editing in mind I would buy the largest SSD I could afford, maybe even spring for a PCI-e SSD. Video editing is very data transfer intensive.

Not sure I agree with this. Video editing has two main phases - editing, and rendering. You "see" performance differences mostly during rendering. Editing is relatively undemanding because your own speed editing clips, trimming, etc is so slow compared to the computer. Most people edit videos that are a few minutes long. Loading the source material (clips) is primarily I/O - so disk speed matters here. But once the clips are loaded the disk speed doesn't matter much unless you fetch other items (like sound). But these files are typically not huge so I/O speed isn't a big deal at all. If you are short on RAM, the disk speed will matter if your system is forced to use the swap file a lot. But an 8Gb system is more than enough for most people. Edit long HD videos? Get 16 Gb.

Rendering is a transcoding - and it is cpu intensive. Watch the Windows Task Manager and you will see the CPU cores hit 75-100% unless there is another bottleneck or the software can't fully utilize the CPUs. Most purchased video editors can use four CPU cores - some will use more. So rendering benefits from fast CPUs with multiple cores.

bearamedic99
AG
I've been looking for plans for a budget gaming rig/media storage. Do you think this will run the Borderlands prequel?
JonLobb
quote:
I've been looking for plans for a budget gaming rig/media storage. Do you think this will run the Borderlands prequel?
should. So far he's run Fallout: New Vegas and Just Cause at ultra settings and gotten better than playable frame rates.

bearamedic99
AG
Okay, I'm putting together a list of these parts on PC part picker and it mentions that the RAM requires 1.65V where the CPU recommends a maximum of 1.5V. Is that a big problem?

This will be my first build and I'll be googling stuff on building it but will I also need to buy wires?
Predmid
AG
quote:
Super budget PC gaming rig for my brother

Mobo: AsRock B85 Anniversary LGA 1150
CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 Haswell Dual-Core 3.5Ghz
GPU: XFX Radeon R7 265 2GB
SSD: SanDisk 64GB Ultra Plus
HDD: WD Blue 1TB
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3 2400
PSU: CoolerMaster Extreme 2 - 525W

eh? what say you

4 thrifty pennies out of 7
JonLobb
quote:
Okay, I'm putting together a list of these parts on PC part picker and it mentions that the RAM requires 1.65V where the CPU recommends a maximum of 1.5V. Is that a big problem?

This will be my first build and I'll be googling stuff on building it but will I also need to buy wires?
i'd go with different ram if I were you. This ram works fine, I'm using it because I picked up a bunch of it at discount a little while ago. There's plenty of other options that are just as good for the same price you'll find it now.

If you do find a good deal on it though, it runs at 1.5V just fine. I'm now running it in 2 different Haswell based desktops with no issues.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.