iOS8 adoption lagging

1,982 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by VanGogh@1
biobioprof
How long do you want to ignore this user?
relatively speaking.

I haven't updated my 5s or iPad Air yet. I'm seeing claims that 8.0.2 still has some problems. Anyone here seeing those?
agfan2013
AG
Works fine now on my 5 and iPad 3. What they did to the camera roll is just stupid, there no longer a folder for all of your pictures in one place. Heard from a friend they were brining it back in 8.1 but I can't for the life of me figure out why Apple would do something so stupid.

On the whole I don't think its a big deal, ios7 was a big step and one that I absolutely loved and still use a ton of those features it added in. Ios8? Not so much, kinda boring for a guy that doesn't use his phone for much more than calls, text, and web browsing.
MahatmaKJeeves
Running it on an iPad 3 and a 2 1/2 yr old 4s. Would not bother with the update on a 4s. IS08 has a few nice features, but some things like starting a text have some built in delays. Also when someone sends you an email with dozens of recipients instead of bccing them like they should, those emails are slow to load. Have not noticed any other problems with it.
Malachi Constant
AG
I have 8.0.2 on my iPhone 5 and iPad Mini (non-retina).

Phone is still perfect. I've had one or two slowdowns on the mini, but nothing major at all.
ORAggieFan
Have on my 6 and iPad Air. Wife has on 5s and iPad mini. No problems. I like what they've done for the most part. Typing is better. Some browser enhancements. Double click also showing recent contacts.
nwspmp
I have it on my iPad Air and my iPhone 6 and had it on my iPhone 5 for a couple of days until I got my 6. The only problem I've had has been with the aftermarket SwiftKey keyboard; sometimes it shows up, sometimes it doesn't.

Other than that, 8.0.2 has been just fine.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Only issue I have on my 6+ is the screen will often freeze when it's rotated and won't go back without locking the screen and go back in.
culdeus
AG
when a jailbreak is out I'll jump, not till then. Same as always.

agracer
AG
quote:
but I can't for the life of me figure out why Apple would do something so stupid.
They're a technology company. They all fall victim to their own perceived greatness and forget that the end user matters more than what they think is the right, or wrong way to do things. MS and Google do stupid crap too.
JonLobb
quote:
quote:
but I can't for the life of me figure out why Apple would do something so stupid.
They're a technology company. They all fall victim to their own perceived greatness and forget that the end user matters more than what they think is the right, or wrong way to do things. MS and Google do stupid crap too.
some focus group, many probably, must have told them it was a good idea.

they don't do anything arbitrarily.
Aero95
AG
My Mini Retina is mostly useless and unreliable after the update. WiFi and cell connectivity is mostly not working, and very slow and won't stay connected when it does connect. I'm really pissed with my first iOS device and if this were my phone I would have sold it by now and gone to Android. Fortunately my Android phone works great.
biobioprof
quote:
My Mini Retina is mostly useless and unreliable after the update. WiFi and cell connectivity is mostly not working, and very slow and won't stay connected when it does connect. I'm really pissed with my first iOS device and if this were my phone I would have sold it by now and gone to Android. Fortunately my Android phone works great.
I read somewhere that doing the update over the air vs on a computer tends to leave a huge block of the storage designated as "Other". Wonder if that could be related to who has problems.
nwspmp
Is that on the 8.0, 8.0.1 or 8.0.2 update?

My iPhone 5 was "ehh" on 8.0 and useless on 8.0.1 but works fine after 8.0.2 (by that time I'd gone to my 6 though)
Wildmen06
AG
Any chance part of the issue is it needs 4GB to install. I almost dident upgrade because I was too lazy to clean up my phone
htxag09
AG
quote:
Works fine now on my 5 and iPad 3. What they did to the camera roll is just stupid, there no longer a folder for all of your pictures in one place. Heard from a friend they were brining it back in 8.1 but I can't for the life of me figure out why Apple would do something so stupid.
Dro07
AG
ipad2 is slow as crap. Regret upgrading it
htc0008
AG
I have a 4s and made the upgrades to 8.0 and 8.0.1 with no problems on the device. I began experiencing dropped calls in the car over Bluetooth so I downloaded 8.0.2.

This upgrade turned my phone into a brick that would not stop restarting. I attempted to take my phone through a hard reset and a restore with no luck. At that point I went down to the Apple Store and they only offered to sell me a phone I would have to wait 4-5 weeks to receive.

That dog wouldn't hunt so I called apple support from a pay phone (yes they still exist) they authorized me to get a free replacement.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
quote:
I have a 4s and made the upgrades to 8.0 and 8.0.1 with no problems on the device. I began experiencing dropped calls in the car over Bluetooth so I downloaded 8.0.2.

This upgrade turned my phone into a brick that would not stop restarting. I attempted to take my phone through a hard reset and a restore with no luck. At that point I went down to the Apple Store and they only offered to sell me a phone I would have to wait 4-5 weeks to receive.

That dog wouldn't hunt so I called apple support from a pay phone (yes they still exist) they authorized me to get a free replacement.

Bad idea upgrading to that on a 4S. Everything under the sun online was recommending 4 and 4S owners to not upgrade to the new iOS for multiple reasons. Your new 4S will probably already have the 8, but if you can avoid it I would on that phone.
YouBet
AG
On my iPad, swiping is unresponsive in several apps.

The return key doesn't work while typing on TexAgs. I have to type everything out first and then go back and hit return where I want to break out paragraphs.

Still can't receive texts from certain people on my windows phone when group texting due to a known Apple bug which I guess they refuse to fix. That is maddening but I guess unrelated to the OS.
biobioprof
quote:
On my iPad, swiping is unresponsive in several apps.

The return key doesn't work while typing on TexAgs. I have to type everything out first and then go back and hit return where I want to break out paragraphs.

I have that return key problem on my laptop too, using Safari.
Joe Cole
the fact that a few of my 3rd party charge cables now simply "don't work" with ios8 is reason enough to make me switch platforms
aTm2004
AG
If ghosts are real, Tim Cook better be on the lookout for Steve Jobs.
VanGogh@1
Anecdotal stories are what I use to make decisions for me too. You guys should take a statistics class.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.