Proxy server virus???

434 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by TracerX
G. hirsutum Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My dad got prompted for an Abode flash upgrade, turns out it was some kind of virus that put a bunch of crap on his computer. He managed to get most of it off but now he cannot connect through Internet explorer or chrome, says proxy server error. I went into Internet options and changed the proxy server settings but it keeps switching back on. I think there is something left over from the virus that is preventing him from changing the settings. Can someone help? I have gone through several google results and can't seem to find anything that has helped. His email client is functioning so he is connected to the net.
92_Ag
AG
It can be a number of things, and certainly someone on here may work to direct you through all of the steps to diagnose and repair your PC. But this site bleepingcomputer.com might be a good place to check as well. They've seen most of these variations and can walk you through a thorough repair.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
When I would go to Internet options and turn off proxy server it would come back on. I rebooted in safe mode and did the same thing and it stuck. Seems to have fixed the problem at least on the surface.
TracerX
I'd still follow 92_Ag's suggestion about bleepingcomputer. If something was switching it back or locking it you may not be completely cleaned up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.