Considering Cutting Cable starting 11/1

1,732 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by North American Flagship
Token
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wondering what y'all's thoughts on were for things i need to have to survive without it.

I already have:

Slingbox at my parents' house
Apple TV
Netflix Subscription

I don't need Hulu plus since i have piratebay

What HD Antenna should i buy?
Aggietaco
AG
No such thing.
BEaggie08
AG
quote:

I'd remove this part of your post. It will not get a good reaction around here and will likely take the thread off topic.

quote:
While some antennas are marketed as HD, there is no such thing. You just need an antenna that is capable of receiving the signals you want. See antenna web and insert your address to determine what antenna you need to get the channels you want.

I'd also recommend Amazon Prime if you shop online frequently. Their instant streaming library is steadily improving and they have recently added HBO content > 3 years old.
jeffk
AG
Live sports is the only thing that causes us hiccups.

And we use Amazon Prime instead of Netflix.
92_Ag
AG
quote:
quote:

I'd remove this part of your post. It will not get a good reaction around here and will likely take the thread off topic.

quote:
While some antennas are marketed as HD, there is no such thing. You just need an antenna that is capable of receiving the signals you want. See antenna web and insert your address to determine what antenna you need to get the channels you want.

(sic)
Agree with both statements above. Also once you get your recommendations from antenna web, go to SolidSignal and supply them with your recommendations from antenna web. They've been very helpful at validating/recommending a good setup, taking into account some things that antenna web doesn't (like in-attic mounting vs. set-top, etc.) I've purchased a few things from them in the past and always been very pleased with their level of service.
Barry Kripke
AG
I'm absolutely shocked that token is a thief
One Nine
Don't forget beeg.com
Token
AG
quote:
I'm absolutely shocked that token is a thief
Token
AG
I should also add that I have the following logins:

HBOGO
Showtime
Espn
Sec network

So i'll be OK on those fronts. Only thing I'm scared about is the NFL and nba. I want to see the rockets. I guess I'll use the slingbox and have it stream to the apple TV

Thanks for the website suggestions. I will check them out
Pro Ag
AG
We really need to come up with a term for this that isn't "cutting cable". Having a slingbox set up at your folks house and using other people's logins is something different.

And I'll say that without caring how you get the content, it's just not cutting cable.
Token
AG
ok how about it put it this way:

I am not going to be paying for it anymore, because i can't justify paying 160 a month for OK uverse internet and 400 channels i dont watch.

Comcast internet is the way to go
TracerX
quote:
We really need to come up with a term for this that isn't "cutting cable". Having a slingbox set up at your folks house and using other people's logins is something different.

And I'll say that without caring how you get the content, it's just not cutting cable.
Consolidating cable?
Token
AG
i like consolidated cable. sounds catchy
Damien Thorn
I'm perfectly tolerant of you lying, cheating, and stealing but I'm not sure how that will be received on an Aggie bulletin board.
Nom de Plume
AG
So instead of paying for cable, you're going to steal it all.

Great plan.
Token
AG
at least i'm honest about it
kb2001
AG
quote:
Only thing I'm scared about is the NFL and nba.
NFL is over the air, your antenna will get the channels you need. You'll miss out on all the other games that you could get with Sunday Ticket

If you watch college football, wait another month and cancel it after the conference championship games. There isn't really a good alternative unless you can get someone's login for WatchESPN or use the slingbox for that as well. There is almost a way to see the game, the quality from streaming sites is usually terrible

lctag
AG
For those of you that mooch off your parents' cable and/or friends' login credentials, do you at least pay them a nominal fee monthly? If not, don't you feel like a charity case? Do they fill your car up with gas and pay your
insurance too? Definitely not "cutting the cord" in multiple respects.
Token
AG
I pay 25 a month to my parents for the cable box and login. I bought slingbox
lctag
AG
That is better (the $25), and makes me feel better about the situation - even though it's not my business. I bet you are in the minority on chipping in unfortunately.
Iowaggie
AG
Given your affinity for the most disappointing team in the NBA's Southwest division, you'll want a plan to watch NBA games without great television access.

Which seems like something a lot of Rocket fans had to do last year anyway.
lctag
AG
How about DVR functionality for your OTA channels? What are your plans? Not necessary?
Token
AG
that's a good question. I do have a TiVo lying around. I'm not sure if i want to add an additional 19 bucks a months expense

Currently, after i cut cable, my expenses will be as follows:

Cable: 40 a month
slingbox cable box: 25
netflix: 8.60 a month

Should i get 50mbps internet or do y'all think getting faster makes more sense?
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
I may have missed it, but what is your current? If you're in the double digits, you probably won't notice much improvement beyond doing multiple streams at once (we have 24 and can have 3 streams going with high quality content with no issue at all).

For the slingbox, your parent's up speed is going to be the bottleneck in all likelihood.
Token
AG
my parents have comcast and theirs is 25 down/5up, so i should be ok

Currently i have uverse and the internet is supposed to be 24MB internet, but i usually get like 5down/5up all the time. It'll be a drastic difference, whatever comcast gives me
jeffk
AG
You can get a cheap PC running Windows Media Center and a TV tuner card to use as a DVR.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Wow - I have U-verse 24mbps and it's always pretty much locked in at the quoted rate.

I'm guessing alot of that depends on location and infrastructure though.

I will say this about U-verse - if you pick up their TV packages from September until January you can make money or break even. Have done it for a few years now and my bill for the lowest tier (that has college football & SEC network, etc.) is about $50/month after incentives and they send me about $250 in VISA gift cards. Just cancel in January, ship it back and you broke even (or, last year I made $30) to watch college football. Until they stop allowing that, I'm sticking with U-Verse.
lctag
AG
The Windows Media Center and TV tuner suggestion is a good one. I did that for several years after I "cut the cord." I recently moved to a Tivo Roamio (basic 4 tuner model for OTA). I'm in it for the long haul without cable, and hate monthly bills, so I paid the lifetime service fee upfront. If you want other DVR options maybe check out SimpleTV or Channelmaster had a stand alone option.
testosterbone
AG
Do you want to borrow some money?
Token
AG
got xfinity 105mbps internet with a free modem, digital tuner and 45 channels (all HD) + HBO for 55 a month after taxes and fees. That is an incredible deal. Called them to get the deal and told them that verizon was giving me a better deal and they caved and gave me this
North American Flagship
For the morality police:

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.