Nvidia Shield Tablet

697 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by KidDoc
KidDoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SO I'm currently without a tablet and only have my work laptop. I don't really want a full laptop for gaming or leizure time as they are expensive and tend to have hardware and heat issues from my past experience. I want a bit more functionality than most tablets have, namely being able to plug into HDMI and stream my dish anywhere on a TV by the pool.

Anyway this leads me to the Nvidia Shield Tablet which runs $299 and seems to be able to do all the things I want. Add in a wireless keyboard & mouse and I will basically have a laptop/tablet mixture that can also play all of my steam/PC games which is fairly impressive.

Anyone have personal experience with this tablet? It sure seems nice and reviews are good. Mostly just waiting for a sale to snag one because I'm cheap like that.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
OD
Just scanned through their site.

So am I correct in assuming this thing is useless without a powerful desktop?
KidDoc
AG
It is basically a nice high performing tablet without a gaming PC. With a gaming PC it can basically shadow all of your games anywhere you can get a good wifi connection.

At least that is how I understand it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KidDoc
AG
This is the best brief user review from Amazon from a verified purchase that I could find.

----------------------------------------------------
Wow is the Nvidia SHIELD is powerful. It's nearly twice as fast on the 3dMark benchmark tests as the Tegra 4 processor the SHIELD's new K1 chip replaces. It's also twice as fast as the iPad Air. The SHIELD essentially puts an Xbox 360 or a PS3 in the palm of your hand.

The SHIELD Tablet has a subtle industrial design, largely masking the amazing processor under the hood that makes this the ultimate handheld gaming device (at the moment).

It features an 8 inch 1920x1200 full HD display that is very responsive and accurate to touch with fantastic image quality. Its front facing onboard speakers also sound great.

The Nvidia SHIELD can be plugged into an HD television and placed into 'console mode' where it will turn off its internal display and function like a game console complete with its own interface and store. It works well, but I found exited games dumps me back to an Android desktop and not the easy to navigate menu I initially started with. I suspect it might work better if I use an Nvidia controller vs. the standard bluetooth one I was using.

There aren't many games written specifically for the new chip yet, but what is available is very impressive and a sign of many interesting things to come. The 'pack-in' game, Trine 2, looks beautiful on the display and on a 1080p television. It runs at a smooth framerate and is every bit as good as an Xbox 360 as far as its graphical capabilities are concerned.

The Reicast Dreamcast emulator runs beautifully at a nearly 60 frames per second. It almost feels as good as the original. It can deliver double the frame rate as a Tegra 4

Without question this is the ultimate gaming tablet at the moment. I am very impressed with its K1 processor's performance, especially just how much faster it is over the capable Tegra 4. We are in an exciting time for mobile development!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.