Anybody taking advantage of the new AT&T promotion to double your data?

2,263 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Nobody Knows My Name
khkman22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Currently I have unlimited and wife is on the old 200 MB plan. Including our corporate discount, the base price is $90/mo. after taxes because we don't have a texting plan. Even with $5-10/mo. in texting charges, we usually top out at $100. Because of this, none of the eligible plans make sense for us.

However, I was just wondering how the pricing terms will work out in the future. I currently have the same voice plan from 2004 - 2 lines and 500 minutes with rollover for $50/mo. Basically I can keep this plan at the same price as long as I would like until I ever decide to switch because of my original contract I signed that I keep renewing. The current promotion says you can keep the data as long as you like as long as you like, assuming you don't want to change plans or switch carriers and then come back. But do they have to honor the current prices as long as you are on the plan you choose? I am thinking they can change it at any time since you are not signing a contract (assuming going with the NEXT plan), but wasn't real sure.

I know they want people off of unlimited and this is a great promotion to do that, but are they doing it because it gives them more flexibility in the future as far as price increases?

Promotion details here.
BBQ4Me
AG
Didn't the plan used to be 10GB for $130?
If so, is there any catch to change? Eg, contract?
khkman22
AG
quote:
Didn't the plan used to be 10GB for $130?
If so, is there any catch to change? Eg, contract?
I think the 10GB plan includes 2 device access fees for $130 ($100 shared data + 2x$15 access) if I'm not mistaken. The new $130 plan does not include the 2 devices, so it's really $160 for 30GB. I don't think there is any catch to switch at the moment, not including possible termination fees for recently signing a 2-year commitment.

The only catch I am unsure about is can they decide to change the 15GB plan in the future to $150 (or whatever price the decide on) instead of $130 and you have to suck it up and pay for it because you haven't signed a contract that allows you to be grandfathered at the old price?
CypressAg13
AG
Currently have 3 family members on unlimited data plans. Looking at it on the surface, this would be a pretty good sized discount, 30 gigs would be plenty for the three of us, and we'd be able to get new phones using their Next thing.Need more details before any changes are made, but this deal is good enough to at least start to consider giving up the unlimited data.
PooDoo
AG
I'm about to switch to Cricket. 5 phones unlimited text & calls with 10 GB each for $180 total
Ezra Brooks
AG
I've been evaluating my options with AT&T as and haven't seen the double your data offer, so I'm interested.

I'm very interested in upgrading to the HTC One and have inquired what my options are to LOWER my monthly bill if possible. The wife and I are currently on a 500 minute share program, her with 1000 texts and 2 gig data and me with a legacy iPhone unlimited data plan and only 200 texts.

I've been a bit frustrated with how difficult their website is to follow and their in-store reps haven't been much more helpful.

The reps seem to ONLY speak to the Next or 2 yr. Agreement against the Unlimited Talk/Text and levels of data - they've offered no other options.
Sling Blade
AG
I upgraded to it...went from 10GB for 3 lines and went to the 15GB Plan which was automatically upgraded to 30GB.

I'll update when I get my first bill.
tfunk02
AG
quote:
I'm about to switch to Cricket. 5 phones unlimited text & calls with 10 GB each for $180 total

How'd you get that deal?
A History Of Violence
AG
Rather than double data, since I didn't use all 30 GB, I took the opportunity to cut my costs.
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
quote:

How'd you get that deal?
https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans
khkman22
AG
Now I know why I haven't changed plans over the years. I put everything into a spreadsheet to see if it might be worth it to switch to NEXT and the 10GB shared plan. Even if we upgraded my wife to the 3GB data plan and I kept the unlimited, we save about $1,100 over two years when comparing to the NEXT plan. That assumes we don't upgrade right away on NEXT, but after two years are up (it's even more expensive to upgrade every 12-18 months). Even if we upgraded to the 3GB plan and added the family texting plan, it would still be about $400 cheaper over two years. I'm probably going to stay on this plan until they kick me off or if they don't let me add a line in the future for one of my kids. And I'm thinking it may be a good idea to upgrade to the 3GB plan so I'm grandfathered into that and they don't take away all options for people on these old plans to force them onto the Mobile Share plans.
Ham Slice MRE
AG
Too much time on your hands?
tfunk02
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

How'd you get that deal?
Totally missed those group discounts when I went to the site yesterday. Thanks! I may move the family over to Cricket now.
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

How'd you get that deal?
Totally missed those group discounts when I went to the site yesterday. Thanks! I may move the family over to Cricket now.

I'm in the middle of a 2-year with Verizon, but I'm strongly considering it as well.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
FYI... You can double the 10GB plan as well. It is not advertised and you cannot do it online. You have to dial 611 (if you're dialing from your AT&T wireless phone) and speak to someone in the "customer relations" department. I asked for retention as soon a customer service representative answered the phone. I told them I'm considering switching to Sprint's 20GB for $100 family share plan and asked if AT&T had anything that could match it. She quickly said they could double the 10GB plan to 20GB at no additional cost.

More info here:
AT&T now doubling 10GB plans to 20GB
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.