So if I'm currently on Verizon and want to switch to T-Mobile, can someone explain?

842 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Token
nguyenning
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know T-Mobile will pay off my ETF... so I'm wondering what happens if I sign/renew a 2-year contract with Verizon today and get an iPhone 6 Plus for $299. Can I then just switch over to T-Mobile and have them pay off my Verizon cancellation ETF? Keep the iPhone 6 Plus that I got for $299... and give T-Mobile some old blackberry or something? Then, sell the Verizon iPhone 6 Plus for the extra spending cash I'd need to get the iPhone 6 Plus through T-Mobile.Does all of that make sense? That sounds too good to be true... like there's some kind of loophole.
akaggie05
AG
The problem is that the iPhones for Verizon and T-Mo are not the same phone. Verizon's network uses a combination of CDMA2000, EV-DO, and LTE. T-Mo uses GSM, UMTS, and LTE. Apple produces carrier-specific parts for each carrier that support different air interfaces. Someone correct me if this has changed.
BloodyAg
I don't think akaggie read your post completely
spider96
AG
You have to give t mobile your verizon phone. They'll give you an amount for the phone. It may not be what you paid verizon. You are then reimbursed for your etf after you pay it off.
BloodyAg
ng, yes you can trade in you old bb and they'll pay off your ETF.
SpicewoodAg
AG
The old BB will probably earn you about $10. I switched from Sprint and traded in my SG3. I think they gave me $40 for it.
nguyenning
AG
So in summary, I can sign a 2-year contract with Verizon and get a new iPhone 6 through them for $199-$299.

Then go to T-Mobile and they'll pay off my ETF with Verizon and I can just trade-in some crappy blackberry or something? Then, buy their cheapest phone like the 768 flip phone... and swap over my sim card to the iPhone 6 that I got from Verizon.

Does all of that make sense? Sounds way too good to be true
EMY92
AG
quote:
So in summary, I can sign a 2-year contract with Verizon and get a new iPhone 6 through them for $199-$299.

Then go to T-Mobile and they'll pay off my ETF with Verizon and I can just trade-in some crappy blackberry or something? Then, buy their cheapest phone like the 768 flip phone... and swap over my sim card to the iPhone 6 that I got from Verizon.

Does all of that make sense? Sounds way too good to be true
Your Verizon iPhone won't work on T-Mobile. An AT&T iPhone would, however.
VanGogh@1
This is false. The Verizon iphones come unlocked and fully support Tmobile's bands. Verizon's iphones support all carriers except for Sprint.
wrinkledink
AG
verizon coverage > tmobile coverage
spider96
AG
quote:
This is false. The Verizon iphones come unlocked and fully support Tmobile's bands. Verizon's iphones support all carriers except for Sprint.

Correct

I stand corrected. You might have a bit of trouble activating but all of the radios are there.
khkman22
AG
quote:
quote:

Correct

I stand corrected. You might have a bit of trouble activating but all of the radios are there.
Is this only for the iPhone 6, or will the Verizon 4/4s, 5/5s work on AT&T if they are unlocked?
spider96
AG
The post on the Apple forum I read was for the iPhone 6 only.
Token
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Correct

Is this only for the iPhone 6, or will the Verizon 4/4s, 5/5s work on AT&T if they are unlocked?
verizon iphone 5 came unlocked for GSM. iPhone 5s verizon is also sim unlocked as well. The only downside is that the verizon iPhone 5 doesn't support att LTE bands

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.