The Passport - BlackBerry's Last Gasp?

3 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by slappy
Iowaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not sure if anyone still has a BlackBerry, but you still might be interested.

It is the size and shape of passport.

CNET Review
mid90
AG
why would anyone want that?
powerbelly
AG
It seems like it would be really top heavy when you are typing.

Doesn't make any sense.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
I miss my keyboard...
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
And no way in hell I would buy that phone. Looks terrible to use
benMath08
AG
Maybe, MAYBE if this had been released before the first iPhone, Blackberry would not be in the gutter. Way too little, way too late.
rynning
AG
But does it bend?
JonLobb
Blackberry needs to, if they haven't already, ditch any appearance of a "consumer" oriented product. There are tons of companies in the corporate IT space doing just fine without any consumer facing products.

They'll continue to waste money trying to compete with iPhones, when what they need to be doing is focusing 100% on making a device that you'll have in addition to your iPhone, most likely that was issued to you buy your company for accessing secure information.

Up until just a few months ago I had my personal iPhone and my work issued Blackberry, and the combination was perfect. The Blackberry was head and shoulders above the iPhone when it came to accessing work email, calendars, contacts, documents, passcodes, etc.

Now we have these "Good" apps for our iPhones that are absolutely horrendous.
MSCAg
AG
Yeah, they need to accept they lost the consumer market and go strictly for business. Focus on an email/work platform and make security a bit part of their products.

Its probably their only shot.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
Blackberry needs to, if they haven't already, ditch any appearance of a "consumer" oriented product. There are tons of companies in the corporate IT space doing just fine without any consumer facing products.

They'll continue to waste money trying to compete with iPhones, when what they need to be doing is focusing 100% on making a device that you'll have in addition to your iPhone, most likely that was issued to you buy your company for accessing secure information.

Up until just a few months ago I had my personal iPhone and my work issued Blackberry, and the combination was perfect. The Blackberry was head and shoulders above the iPhone when it came to accessing work email, calendars, contacts, documents, passcodes, etc.

Now we have these "Good" apps for our iPhones that are absolutely horrendous.
Yeah, our BES server went down this summer and our IT department finally said, screw it, we aren't going to keep supporting them. I think there were 12 of us still clinging to our BBs. I wish I still had it. I've now got a Galaxy s3.

I've had a BB for a work phone since 2003-04 ish. I got rid of mine for a personal phone back in 2011 or so. But if all I'm wanting my work phone to do is send emails and phone calls, give me a bullet proof old school BB with a good keyboard that I can type 50+ wpm on.

this new thing looks like a piece of crap.
Herne the Hunter
quote:
And no way in hell I would buy that phone. Looks terrible to use
Agreed, retro does not work in the world of consumer smartphones.
Phat32
AG
Why they won't do a software solution for corporate email that competes with Good (not tough), I have no idea. Use existing BES infrastructure and give us a Blackberry email solution on our iPhones/Android.
Iowaggie
AG
I'd be interested in knowing* how many of the carriers are actually going to carry the Blackberry on their lineup of phones. T-Mobile doesn't appear that it is.

*Not interested enough to actually look up any except T-Mobile, though.
JonLobb
quote:
I'd be interested in knowing* how many of the carriers are actually going to carry the Blackberry on their lineup of phones. T-Mobile doesn't appear that it is.

*Not interested enough to actually look up any except T-Mobile, though.
I'm not sure how many companies use T-Mobile for corporate phone plans. I'd be surprised if Verizon and AT&T, which have huge B2B businesses, didn't carry it.
iceman08
AG
"Good" apps for work iPhones...I don't like them either .. takes forever to load everything up

I really miss my work BlackBerry but the company just didnt adapt to the market

Sad state of affairs for BB
JonLobb
quote:
"Good" apps for work iPhones...I don't like them either .. takes forever to load everything up

I really miss my work BlackBerry but the company just didnt adapt to the market

Sad state of affairs for BB
our company's decision was because they wanted to "synchronize" with our client facing apps, which are heavily focused on Apple users.

"We ask our clients to use our products on Apple devices, we should all do the same as well"

some genius probably got a promotion and a bonus for that brain fart too
easttexasaggie04
AG
Surely that phone is a joke.
slappy
AG
Their Z30 is awesome. Too bad it wasn't marketed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.