Home PC running very slow..Feedback Needed.

853 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by dubi
TAMU74
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
About 3-4 days ago my home PC started running noticeably slower.
I have run 2 "full" virus scans in the last 2 days and some general maintenance to no avail.
I'm beginning to think it is not a virus, but not sure what the cause is.
I have not downloaded anything new except an update for Microsoft and the computer was fine before that download. That's the only thing I can put a finger on that might be an issue.
My computer OS is Vista Home and I'm running IE9.
Any suggestions/feedback appreciated.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Microsoft should have created a restore point when it updated, you can try rolling back. If that doesn't work, it's fresh install time.
Wildmen03
AG
CCleaner to clear up some crud that could accumulate.
HossAg
AG
I like doing the windows key + r key and typing in %temp%. Delete all of those files and it typically makes it run faster
boogieman
AG
Run a virus/malware scan in safe mode.
SpicewoodAg
AG
Any performance issue with a computer should look at the fundamentals:

- when it is slow, how busy is the CPU?
- how much memory does it have and how much is used?
- when the system is slow, is the hard drive light blinking a lot?

Learn to use the task manager and both the performance tab and the processes tab.
MSCAg
AG
Try and the cccleaner and some other stuff.

That said, it really seems that after 5 years or so, OS's just get clunkered and the best thing is to do a clean install.
SpicewoodAg
AG
Any computer running Vista will run noticeably better with Windows 7. If reinstalling is at all a consideration move to Win7.

But without more information on the system itself (cpu, memory, etc.) just running scans is like throwing darts.
TAMU74
AG
Thanks to all for the feedback.
Spicewood...I have been told that replacing an OS can/will cause lots of problems.
I did try using Chrome last night and it worked fine.
Just don't understand why IE is now slow.
I have plenty of memory and I don't think the CPU is the issue.
This all started post MS update download.
I think the best thing at this time might be the system restore to an earlier date.
SpicewoodAg
AG
Replacing an OS sometimes causes problems. But replacing a bad OS with a better one usually produces good results. Unless your computer is so old that Win 7 doesn't support the hardware chances are very good the system will be faster and more stable under Win7 than Vista, now a 9 year old OS. Note that you are running what is now an old IE release. The current release is IE11.

If it is just IE that is running slowly then I would focus on IE. Clear the cache (cCleaner will do this).

You say you have plenty of memory. But do you know how much is in use? Maybe something is consuming a bunch of memory and your system is forced to use the swap file heavily.
TAMU74
AG
OK.
I'll try CCleaner first and see what happens.
I understand that IE9 is the latest browser that Vista will support.
If that is correct, is there a new version of IE9 or do I need to uninstall/reinstall 9??
dubi
AG
Vista
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.