Perplexing iPhone Problem

739 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by CDub06
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saturday night after the game my phone started rebooting about every 2 minutes. The screen would fade, sometimes various colored lines would appear and then it would shut off. The Apple logo would appear, it would boot back up, be usable for 2 more minutes, then repeat the cycle.

I had not installed any new apps or done anything to trigger this behavior to my knowledge.

I did some various troubleshooting and turned off some of the services, etc with no luck. I did not have a backup since June (my bad...) so I did not want to try a restore. And since I could not back the phone up in the 2 allocated minutes, I did not want to reset my phone.

I took it to the Apple Store and he inspected the inside and said everything looked perfect as far as hardware, connections etc. We did the reset and it fixed the phone.

However, as soon as I restore the phone to the backup I had from June (did not have the issue then mind you), the same issue starts again (also before all of the apps load). I've cleared data, removed email accounts. I cannot figure out what could be causing this issue. The only solution seems to be doing a factory reset. I just don't want to start from square one so I'm trying to figure this thing out. Any ideas?
schmendeler
AG
what do you mean start from square one? it's not like a house you were building... just wipe it and sync your contacts, music, and apps you want...
HECUBUS
AG
Is your memory full?
CDub06
AG
The memory is not full. I even cleared all pictures to see if that would affect it.

You're right, this isn't a HUGE deal. I was very curious as to why this is happening. Also, I wanted to avoid having to reconfigure my settings, preferences, accounts, apps, etc. Not a huge deal, just quite annoying.

Charpie
AG
I wipe my iPhone every three months. I have my contacts backed up and constantly upload pics to the cloud. You are making a big deal over nothing.
Unemployed
AG
quote:
I wipe my iPhone every three months. I have my contacts backed up and constantly upload pics to the cloud. You are making a big deal over nothing.

Good for you.

His phone has an issue. Although there's a workaround, why not try to figure out what the problem is and fix it?
schmendeler
AG
Sounds like the problem is fixed. He needs to stop reintroducing the problem by using that June restore point.
CDub06
AG
I just can't figure out how going back to June is re-introducing this issue that just popped up in September.

Nonetheless, I shouldve left well enough alone. Since this afternoon, doing a factory reset failed to correct the problem. After 10 or so attempts with a 100% success rate, the 10 or so I've tried since lunch have been failures. So now I have a clean phone that resets itself every two minutes.
Whitetail
AG
My wife's phone had those issues. Took it to the apple store, they told me it was water damaged.
CDub06
AG
Dude at Apple said there was no water damage or damage of any kind. I kind of thought it was the battery or a connection. Still didn't explain why it fixed itself when I cleared it...

Anyway, I let it sleep all night and it appears to be working again. I'm going to leave it as is since troubleshooting was getting me nowhere good.
Whitetail
AG
I wasn't implying that was your problem. Just saying that's what my wife's problem was. I thought they were full of it but when I got home from the store she did admitting to spilling some water on it.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
I wonder if you update to iOS 8 if it might fix it?
CDub06
AG
As tempting as that is... It's working now (except the battery indicator won't budge off of 100%) so I am not going to touch it. Thanks y'all.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.