Switching from Android to iPhone

6,473 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by TracerX
AggieFrog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Touch ID + Apple pay is awesome.

It's a good implementation, that I agree. However will it replace just swiping with a CC (which isn't exactly difficult today)? That's yet to be seen.
Token
AG
so all of the reviewers who said the same thing as i did are insane? They all said the fingerprint scanner works about half the time on the first try.

Google wallet is very cumbersome to use in a tight pinch like when waiting in line. I have an nexus 5 that i dont even bother using google wallet for because you have to have to type in a pin, etc, before you can pay. being able to just put the phone next to a NFC reader and holding your thumbprint is very easy to do. Speed is king. That's why touch ID, the way it's been implemented, is such a good idea. no swiping, very very few misreads, if ever. The samsung one (and whatever one LG put on the back of their phone that made me laugh) work like the finger print reader on my IBM laptop. It takes two-three tries (sometimes more) to use. What's the point of having it there if it's half-baked? Spec wars are stupid. I remember when Intel and AMD used to have theirs in the late 90s and early 00's. Then everyone realized that specs aren't the end all, be all. it's software + smart tech.
Unemployed
AG
quote:
quote:
Touch ID + Apple pay is awesome.

It's a good implementation, that I agree. However will it replace just swiping with a CC (which isn't exactly difficult today)? That's yet to be seen.

How else are you going to show off to people that you have an iPhone if you use your CC to pay?
VanGogh@1
VanGogh@1
Token, don't argue with Longstreet. It's not worth your time.
VanGogh@1
quote:
That's the problem with a lot of android phones. They rush a **** load of technology that only half works just to say they have the technology. If you want an excellent example, notice how samsung has 6 different galaxy gear watches in the last 365 days.

This.
Longstreet
quote:
so all of the reviewers who said the same thing as i did are insane?

Review are interesting, but I'd be more interested in your personal experience. Tell me about the S5 that you owned.

quote:
They all said the fingerprint scanner works about half the time on the first try.

That's not what you said though, is it?

quote:
Google wallet is very cumbersome to use in a tight pinch like when waiting in line. I have an nexus 5 that i dont even bother using google wallet for because you have to have to type in a pin, etc, before you can pay

All right man, I'm about to lay something heavy on you, ya might wanna take a deep breath and sit down. Ready?

When I used Wallet, I would take the oh-so-horribly-TERRIBLY long one second that it takes to enter a 4 digit pin, and I would do it

while the cashier was ringing up the last item.

OMFG!! I JUST BLEW YOUR MIND DIDN'T I?!?!

quote:
being able to just put the phone next to a NFC reader and holding your thumbprint is very easy to do.

That really is excellent implementation of the concept. Used often, it will shave entire seconds off your weekly routine.

quote:
Speed is king.

I wish like hell you'd explain that to the 4S I use at work.
Barry Kripke
AG
quote:
quote:
That's the problem with a lot of android phones. They rush a **** load of technology that only half works just to say they have the technology. If you want an excellent example, notice how samsung has 6 different galaxy gear watches in the last 365 days.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Everything can't roll out as smoothly as iOS maps did.
TX AG 88
AG
updating this. after several weeks of iPhoning, I'm mostly happy.

The main thing I miss is the Back button. That function is super handy and iOS apps are not completely consistent with the placement of their on-screen "return to last menu" functions. "Back" was awesome.

I have a harder time typing on the apple, regardless of keyboard used. Especially near the edges and corners of the screen. The physical configuration of the front of the phone, with the raised border of the screen surround, makes it more difficult to tap close to it. I never even noticed the frame/edges of my Galaxy S3.

iOS does not handle the non-native keyboards well, yet. Maybe the next update. I tried setting SwiftKey as my default keyboard, but sometimes (randomly) the native one (or worse, no keyboard at all) comes up. And, only the native keyboard has the microphone icon to switch to voice input mode.

Android was easier to open and call my wife with, until I figured out I can do voice dial calls without unlocking the phone.

That's it. None of those gripes make me unhappy with the phone. But unless I just really become enamored with some aspect of Apple life that has as yet escaped me, my next phone will be "whichever seems the best bang for the buck at the time". I don't see iOS as a must have, or even a strong attractor, in my next phone selection.
2006EE
AG
Switched from iPhone 5 to HTC One M8 at the end of April.

Ordered the iPhone 6 this week. Didn't hate andriod just missed apple.

Side note: When my phone gets here I will have an HTC for sell if anyone in the Austin area wants dibs let me know.
cr0wbar
AG
You'll miss your android. Like I miss mine
2006EE
AG
quote:
I doubt it. I don't use widgets and prefer the apple keyboard. Andriod was an experiment really. I have two macbooks, apple tv, ipad 2, ipad mini with retnia, and my wife has a 5s.

Also, I will sell you an HTC M8 when my phone gets here. I'll throw in a car charger, dot view case, and 32gb sd card.
HossAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Maps app, ios 8.0.1, still many bugs with ios 8 have been reported, can't make a phone that won't bend, etc. That can be argued both ways, and many times with Apple, it's not even "New" technology. And don't tell me I'm wrong on all of those things, because I have first hand experience with each one, and I've seen the bend tests.
cr0wbar
AG
quote:
quote:
I doubt it. I don't use widgets and prefer the apple keyboard. Andriod was an experiment really. I have two macbooks, apple tv, ipad 2, ipad mini with retnia, and my wife has a 5s.

Also, I will sell you an HTC M8 when my phone gets here. I'll throw in a car charger, dot view case, and 32gb sd card.

Ha- I was responding to OP originally. You guys sound like an Apple family. My fiance strongly dislikes the android phone I bought her- wants to go back to Apple. Different strokes
TX AG 88
AG
one other thing i forgot that kinda bugs the sh*t out of me... when typing, sometimes i'll look down and see a misspelled word. I can't (usually) click to get the cursor right at the letter i want to replace... it will only put the cursor at the very end of the word, or in front of it. I can't just fix the wrong letter, I have to erase and retype the whole word. But, sometimes it lets me edit a word from the middle. I haven't figured out what determines when I can and when I can't, but when I can't it makes me mad.
Brenner
AG
Hold your finger on the screen for a second.
Aggietaco
AG
quote:
one other thing i forgot that kinda bugs the sh*t out of me... when typing, sometimes i'll look down and see a misspelled word. I can't (usually) click to get the cursor right at the letter i want to replace... it will only put the cursor at the very end of the word, or in front of it. I can't just fix the wrong letter, I have to erase and retype the whole word. But, sometimes it lets me edit a word from the middle. I haven't figured out what determines when I can and when I can't, but when I can't it makes me mad.
Hold your finger in the text box and a magnifying glass appears so you can accurately place the cursor.

Google Voice and Hangouts is a pain in the ass to use on an iphone.
TX AG 88
AG
Ah, gotcha! Thanks!

Now is there a fast way to add punctuation?
2006EE
AG
quote:
Ah, gotcha! Thanks!

Now is there a fast way to add punctuation?
Somewhere in the settings there is a "double space to put a period" setting on the iphone.
TX AG 88
AG
been using that, but i wish there was one-button access to ? or !

on Android, hold down d for 1 sec and you got !
for ? you did the same with m

last thing: on my android lock screen, i had a message: TX AG 88's phone - if found please call XXX-XXX-XXXX (my wife's phone). not sure if i can do that on iphone, will look.
TX AG 88
AG
nevermind. wrote my message on a sheet of paper, took a pic and made that my lock screen wallpaper. Gets the job done...
2006EE
AG
quote:
been using that, but i wish there was one-button access to ? or !

on Android, hold down d for 1 sec and you got !
for ? you did the same with m

last thing: on my android lock screen, i had a message: TX AG 88's phone - if found please call XXX-XXX-XXXX (my wife's phone). not sure if i can do that on iphone, will look.

There are apps for that. Search for ICE apps. Many make lock screens like that.
TracerX
You can also activate the new medical id feature which includes an emergency contact. I would still use a lock screen picture (you can go paper simple like you did or, as 2006EE pointed out, there are apps that'll add that data on top of your lock screen wallpaper for you) as well though because that is new and not everyone will know you can hit the emergency id button to get that data.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.