Church website hosting?

556 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by wee_ag
wee_ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need to transfer church website over to Wordpress (or something similar) to allow multiple people access to it to make updates (can't do it by myself anymore). Our current host doesn't offer Wordpress unless we pay an additional fee. We already pay $336/year for hosting and I don't feel like we should have to pay more for such a basic service. We're a small church and the site's not that heavily traveled, here's what we need:

Wordpress or similar functionality
Couple of dozen pages will be on the site
Sermon Streaming (currently have a couple of years of back logged sermons available to stream & download)
Secured fillable forms
Online Giving (currently being farmed out to EasyTithe)
Calendar
Multiple email addresses

I know most of this is basic and is probably included in any hosting service, but I haven't looked into what's out there in years. Any recommendations (especially Ag owned options)?
DAM
AG
You are getting ripped off on your hosting. What does your plan look like? A crowd favorite for hosting is dreamhost or hostgator. I use 1and1.

dam
Short Round
+1 on you guys getting ripped off on hosting
John Beckwith
AG
Dreamhost is about $9 per month, WordPress support included.
n_touch
That is high for what you are getting. We recently moved our church to a Wordpress site, and have them on Hostgator. They do streaming as well, but that is from a third party. The only problem that they ran into was their emails. They were hitting their limit on a regular basis and we had to adjust that for them. Your streaming, and tithe payments are all done off site, so you do not have to worry about anything for that. If you need any help, please feel free to contact me through our website. Information in profile.
thewhiteegg
AG
If you're a nonprofit google apps for education is free and very good email/calendar/forms/docs. I think dreamhost offers a free plan for nonprofits that should be able to do a simple wordpress site. As far as sermon audio goes we've had good experiences with soundcloud, If you're doing video as well then youtube or vimeo might be an option. I'm not sure what the solution to online giving is, with security being extremely important we use a special service.
wee_ag
AG
Yeah, I thought that was high for the service we get. Although, our sermon streaming is done directly on site (not outsourced) so that could be one reason for the higher price. Here's the link http://www.adirondackbible.org/Sermons/Audio.shtml

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll do some research and will post back here in a bit.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.