Super Smash Bros

1,538 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Saxsoon
ag_derp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been playing the demo and I like it so far, I might get it. Anyone else excited for this game?
JayDay22
AG
Heck yeah! I reserved both versions already! This is my all time favorite game series! I got the demo codes email when I got home from the game last night, and even though I was exhausted I still played for 2 hours.
jarAGGIE05
AG
I hear that people getting an early look at the 3DS demo are also getting 4 download codes. Anyone have an extra code to unload? Purty please?
JayDay22
AG
I already gave away mine but I may be able to find another. I'll let you know on here.
Scooley01
AG
I would also love a download code! I haven't preordered yet, but it's been in my Amazon wishlist for a couple months now.
DrQuincy
AG
My son is a "Platinum" member and never received his codes...Sorry, bud...
Seven Psycho Ags
I'm in the same boat, Quincy. Oh well, I can wait a few more weeks for retail
Saxsoon
AG
Did they ever mention if there would be version specific characters because the 3DS lineup has leaked. Curious if that is indicative of the WIIU version as well.
jarAGGIE05
AG
They said that the roster will be the same on both. The differences will come in the stages and game modes. There will be some stages that carry over on both, but most of the 3DS stages come from 3DS games and Wii U stages come from console versions of games.
TX scallywAG
AG
Have to be platinum, have your 3DS registered, and have Email notifications turn on.

@Jar... art style looks a good bit different on 3DS version.... more cel shaded.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
jarAGGIE05
AG
Actually MHA, unless I'm mistaken, I think it has the same art style, but it looks more cell shaded because they added a black outline to the characters to make them more visible on the handheld's screen.
Super Aggie 64
AG
The demo will be available for everyone on 9/19.
Scooley01
AG
I know, but if I could play it today, I would rather

Plus, the Platinum code for the demo is officially stated to be an unlimited number of plays, while the full public demo may be limited.
stark_ag
AG
Can't wait to unleash the Killager
stark_ag
AG
Public demo goes live on the eShop channel at 11:00 AM Central time. Not sure what I'm going to do for the next hour and 20 minutes.
Scooley01
AG
Let me know how it is! I won't be able to play until I get home from work.
stark_ag
AG
Played about an hour before I had to go to work myself. Can't wait to get back to it. I played as Link, who I've always kept in my rotation, and the Villager, who is the newcomer I was most excited to try. The other 3 characters you can pick it the demo are Pikachu, Mario, and Mega Man. The only stage available is Battlefield, but you can change it to "final destination mode" to get rid of the platforms and items, which is what I did.

Impressions:
1) In general, movement feels somewhere between Brawl and Melee. Speed is in the middle, you can still jump pretty high, but "fast falling" drops you at Melee speed. Both characters I used controlled extremely smoothly, and the 3DS controls weren't a problem to use at all.

2) Link is just a beast. I've used him since N64 days, but in Brawl, I used some other characters more because he wasn't that great. He will definitely be back in at the top of my list. His dash attack looks like a jump attack from Ocarina/Majora, and is a serious kill move at ~90% damage. Basically all of his projectiles have been strengthened too. And this is all while bumping his speed up too. If you are a Link player, you're in for a nice surprise.

3) Villager is not great in the air, but I had a ton of success guarding the edges of the stage. Plant a tree on the edge, knock someone out to the side, cut it down as they are trying to come back. Got me a kill every time it connected. Also, his side smash drops a bowling ball that falls until it hits the ground, which is another great one to do standing on the edge. Side B shoots a rocket that is slow enough to dodge, but fast enough to force them to dodge, which can be used to set up some other attack that they don't have time to react for, which is very handy.

All in all, it exceeded my expectations. When I get home I'm going to give Mega Man a try. I had been lukewarm on the 3DS version, but after playing this, I may have to rethink that. Not sure I can wait til November for more of this.
ag_derp
AG
I dont know how to use Pikachu. Always lose with him dont know how to use him properly I guess.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Always been a Link guy except for brawl when I switched to ike and toon link. Great to hear.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also Im fairly sure at least Pacman is only in the 3ds version.
stark_ag
AG
Developers have said that rosters are identical between versions. Stages have some overlap, but will also have version exclusives. Haven't seen any Pacman gameplay on Wii U, but he'll be there.
wee_ag
AG
Wow, finally downloaded the demo for 3DS - never played any in the series... Maybe I'm old, but I just don't get it. I know it's a fighting game, but WTF is going on? Button smashing is about all I can figure out how to do.
Scooley01
AG
I played a bunch this weekend, it was a blast. Pikachu is fun, and Link is a beast, although I'm not great with him. I love playing with items, and the game really doesn't disappoint, though it does suffer being on a smaller screen (And I have a 3DSXL, I can't imagine playing on an original 3DS), or maybe I just need glasses.

Local multiplayer works flawlessly. If either player gets through the character/stage selection before the other, they get dumped into a practice room with a punching bag. The host of the game can end the practice for everyone by pressing L+R when they're ready...a nice feature, I think.
stark_ag
AG
quote:
Wow, finally downloaded the demo for 3DS - never played any in the series... Maybe I'm old, but I just don't get it. I know it's a fighting game, but WTF is going on? Button smashing is about all I can figure out how to do.

Let the demo sit on the title screen for a while until the instructional video starts to play and watch it. Pick a character and play against a level 1 computer. Try all the button combinations you just watched and learn what all the moves do. Take a few matches to familiarize yourself, then start trying to attack them. Raise the computer level as you get better. Fairly easy to pick up, but extremely difficult to master, so don't expect to be dominant if you've never played before.
stark_ag
AG
Anybody pick this up for 3DS? Came out on Friday.
JayDay22
AG
I did. It's awesome! Terrible distraction for a PhD student though.
Saxsoon
AG
WiiU comes out on Nov 21st!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.