Router/Modem help

344 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by TexasRebel
FancyKetchup14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just moved into my apartment and have been going through the trials and tribulations of having cable/internet set up through cox (they're the provider in the apartment). Problem I have is that the Ethernet port is nowhere near a coax jack. Will that prevent me from getting internet? Or will I have to wait until they send someone to move some coax cables to where the ethernet port is? Thanks.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Typically, the cable will come to you via coax (internet & tv) and then you'll run it into your modem, out of your modem through an ethernet cable and to your devices/routers/switches/etc.

If I had an apartment with ethernet ports on the wall, my immediate expectation would be that the apartment provides internet/tv and you just plug in. If they don't, the cable company will likely still send everything to you through coax and it won't matter much.

I could be misunderstanding, however.
FancyKetchup14
AG
I did a poor job of explaining where things were, this may help. In the living room and the bedroom there is a coax line coming from the wall for a total of two coax jacks in the unit. However, the ethernet port is nowhere near either of those coax jacks.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Right, but it won't interfere with your ability to get internet - it just may interfere with your ability to easily hardwire connections to other rooms.

If you hook your modem up to the coax and then go out of that and into a wireless router, you can ignore the ethernet ports completely.
FancyKetchup14
AG
I see. So modems don't require both ethernet and coax?
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
No - the modem takes the coax you get from the cable company in and outputs through ethernet cable.

Your incoming line from the cable company will almost certainly be the same coax that you get your TV through.

That's why I was saying that if those ethernet ports connect the rooms of the apartment and you wanted to use them to hardwire everything together (instead of using wireless) you'd have to run ethernet from the cable modem to those outlets on the other side, but if you are planning to use wireless, it won't matter at all.
AggieJason
AG
You likely already have internet through your complex if you have an Ethernet port in the apt. Get an Ethernet cable and test it (looks like a big phone cable). If it works, you don't need to order internet through Cox.
TexasRebel
AG
Is that a phone line... Or maybe a Uverse line?
FancyKetchup14
AG
The apartment does not provide internet. It's an older building that switched mgmt a few years ago. So my guess is that they used to provide internet but not anymore. I have two coax lines, one in the living room one in the bedroom, ethernet is in the dining room (it makes no sense).

This was all supposed to be set up last Tuesday, but when the installation guy came out he realized there were no wires coming from the cable box to my apartment, therefore he couldn't turn it on. Some contractors came on saturday and ran the lines and tested the cable out by just plugging the coax into my TV and just seeing if I picked up channels. Luckily I got about 60 of Cox's basic channel line up so we shouldn't have anymore issues. The installer is coming back out tomorrow so hopefully everything works out and I get the DVR along with my sports and HD stuff.

The guy before me had UVerse because he worked for them. I was thinking about just going through them to save trouble but A) UVerse is a ripoff compared to what I can get through Cox here and B) the apartment has a contract with cox now.
TexasRebel
AG
That port is the Uverse jack.

Not Ethernet. It only has. 6 conductors.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.