google nerd alert: voice/hangouts integration rolling out

1,262 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by reb,
reb,
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
this broke 10 hours ago but I'm just now seeing it.

Google Voice Integration Is Currently Rolling Out In Hangouts
reb,
AG
Hangouts 2.3 Update Brings Remaining Google Voice Integration And A Big Visual Overhaul (APK Download)
howdydamnit04
AG
And I just ported out from GV a couple weeks ago.
reb,
AG
i think saying "remaining integration" was a bit premature, voicemails are still in the google voice app.

there's another APK you need to install, the Hangouts Dialer. It brings, you guessed it, a dialer within the hangouts app. Play Store Link

I see some people in the comments threads saying MMS still breaks messages out as individual texts instead of properly grouping them. It seems like there will still need to be some app updates, maybe some Play Services update, to really iron out the integration. I'm fine with that as long as it doesn't require updating to L to get it. That'd be a worst case. Hopefully this becomes available to all 4.0+ users.

But regardless...it's 90% here. It's at least on par with Facebook and the other messengers, but not yet at the iMessage level.

Any thoughts/observations from you other Voice using folk?
wrinkledink
AG
Niiiice
reb,
AG
quote:

No one can really blame you. This update has been a G-D unicorn forever.

I've been tracking this closely for years now. My ticket out of Sprint is Voice integration on other carriers. I'm sitting here by a 2nd story window, barely getting 3G. I need to break up with Sprint and date other carriers.
hurricanejake02
AG
quote:
Same, here - about 3 months ago. And now I'm back to carrying 2 phones around.

Luckily, I went prepaid. I'll give 'em a while to get the bugs worked out, and then probably go back - once I'm sure this job (and it's provided cell phone) are going to stick around a while.
MGS
About time they added the dialer. How long has it been in the iOS version?
reb,
AG
over a year maybe?
cav14
quote:
But regardless...it's 90% here. It's at least on par with Facebook and the other messengers, but not yet at the iMessage level.

Can you make VOIP calls through iMessage? And is there also a desktop web application for it where you can still text and call not only other iMessage users, but any phone number (cell and landlines)? These are the biggest features that I've been using Google Voice for for years now. Its just awesome to be able to text and make VOIP calls without ever having to pick up my phone.

quote:
About time they added the dialer. How long has it been in the iOS version?

iOS version of Hangouts? Or iOS version of Google Voice? If you're talking about Google Voice, then the reason why the Google Voice version on Android never has had a dialer is because Google Voice is already integrated with the android phone's native dialer.
MGS
The iOS version of Hangouts can make VoIP calls using your GV number. It's not like the old GV apps, which just use your regular phone service.
Stasco
AG
I have the new app, but for some reason I'm still not seeing the option to roll GV into hangouts. Went into the settings and everything.

At first I though maybe it's because I'm on a Oneplus One which already has Voice+ to use a texting app for GV, but my wife isn't seeing anything either on her stock Moto X.

Hopefully it shows up in a few days.
ag09
AG
Its a standalone app. Search the play store for hangouts dialer
reb,
AG
I wish I was kidding, but Google turned off the voice merge for those that had it because the thing is so broke. I turned off hangouts sms because it was so bad just leaving it on while waiting. they said it'd be back shortly but then again I think they like to screw with us.
Stasco
AG
quote:
Its a standalone app. Search the play store for hangouts dialer

I have the dialer. I was talking about merging GV SMS into hangouts. Right now, if Voice+ (which is a CyanogenMod workaround) is turned off, then I can only send SMS from my native phone number through Hangouts.

Granted, Voice+ works, but that just tricks my phone into thinking my GV number is my native number. I would prefer having it baked in from Google.
cav14
I'm waiting for GV texting within hangouts too but frankly having the dialer in hangouts and GV texting within the actual GV app is still perfectly fine right now too. Isn't that how it is for everyone else anyways with the dialer and the messaging app as two separate apps? The only thing I'm hoping for is for GV to finally have MMS and receiving group texts support within Hangouts.
reb,
AG
i fear the entire Android mobile operating system life cycle will pass by without group MMS getting truly fixed. I almost feel like we're being too greedy by expecting it to be, as we have done fine (if you can call the onset of neurosis and rage "fine") on the scraps we've been given. We should be grateful for its brokedness.

reb,
AG
They heard me. This happened right after my last post.

Short codes work too! They have NEVER worked for me on sprint with voice integration.
Stasco
AG
Mine just activated too. Very nice.
cav14
Yeah Hangouts updated for mine too. Now I can send MMS that shows up as a url link to the receiver. However, I'm still not able to receive MMS myself...... are you guys able to receive MMS on your Google Voice now?
reb,
AG
i was able to, randomly. I opted in and did a lot of testing, and its broken to the point unusability for me. I had all sorts of weird things happen, conversations showing up on desktop but not phone, any group messages received had a 50% chance to just not arrive, MMS all around just broken.
howdydamnit04
AG
Reb I'd give it a day or so. When I ported to Att it took 2 days for MMS to work reliably. I assume they have someone manually adjusting your intertubes.
reb,
AG
yea that's what I'm going to do. I am hoping there's going to be some sort of 'all clear' from a google employee when they think it's got the bugs under control. I
cav14
So apparently for you to receive MMS, the sender has to be on either Tmobile or Sprint. AT&T and Verizon have refused to support MMS with GV. This has been the case for a while now since I've been able to receive Tmobile/Sprint MMS through my gmail.

So it looks like nothing has really changed in the MMS front other than actually displaying the tmobile/sprint MMS within Hangouts and also the work around to send MMS to people by sending a google hangouts link instead.

I don't get why MMS is so effing hard to implement on the technical side.
Token
AG
quote:

I don't get why MMS is so effing hard to implement on the technical side.
this is my biggest problem with hangouts
reb,
AG
cav, ive seen that shade being thrown over it as well, but its all just speculation, best as I can figure. Not that it would surprise me if verizon/at&t were being dicks just to make life harder, but there is a big vacuum of information right now.

I can't even send MMS. Much less receive it. I opted out of it on Friday, let the weekend go by, did a factory reset and opted back in. After another day of using it, It's just so broken. They've made it pretty clear that we are beta testing it...I mean, production ready apps don't give users a chance to click a big "OPT OUT" button when they open Google Voice. So given that, I'd just really like to know the roadmap of where they see this thing finally being once they finish doing whatever the hell it is they are doing. Throw us a bone! As far as what they see Hangouts becoming, all we've gotten are vague statements like "Hangouts is the future of Google Voice". It's never been clear at all what things would look like once they were implemented. Have we ever heard of the "Smart Reply" feature before a few days ago, before it was launched? This is the new setting you have in Hangouts, with Voice merged and conversations threaded, that will automatically respond via the channel you received your last message in that conversation from (so if you send me a message via hangouts IM, my response will automatically be set as hangouts IM as opposed to SMS. You can turn Smart Reply off by choosing to always respond via a particular channel).

It's all a big bag of wtf. And I'm annoyed that the reason they aren't giving us any answers is because they don't have them either. That might not at all be their fault, because of unavoidable issues like Verizon/AT&T oligopolist behavior, but the product still sucks all the same.

I was really hoping doing a factory reset and opting back in would magically fix it...gah.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.