Starting search for a new tv...

4,789 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by coastalAg
Jim01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So the wife really wants to put a tv on the back patio for football watching (yes I am a lucky man). Instead of buying a new tv I am pushing to just move our current tv (a 6 year old 46" Sharp Aquos) to the patio and buying a new tv for the living room.

I told her a new tv would be ballpark 1k. Any advice/input on what to get?

Right now now I am thinking something like this:Samsung 55"

Reasoning:
- I am unlimited on size because of how are living room is but I don't think I'd go much bigger that 55-60" range
- I don't think I really need or would use 3D
- 120 vs 240. This is debatable. Anyone have a strong opinion. Just not sure 240 is worth the extra cash.

Tv tv will be used for tv watching sports and regular tv and blurays. We have a wii and ps3 but seldom use them.
BEaggie08
AG
I'm beginning a search as well. I say the 240 is not worth an increase in price, and totally ignore 3D and "Smart" features in your search. Focus on picture quality, black levels, brightness, sharpness, sound (if you'll be using the speakers), and the look of the set. Definitely go 1080P with that size.

I'm struggling to make a decision on whether or not to buy 4k. I'm looking at a 70" - 80" set. Currently, I'm leaning towards buying 1080P for now and upgrading to 4k, three to five years from now.

Have you considered a 4k TV? The prices aren't bad at or below 55" (not <$1000, but not bad). Probably not necessary at the 55" either, but they certainly do look crisp.
stridulent
AG
240 Hz is pretty much reserved for 3D since it essentially needs double to display the content twice. 120 Hz is fine for 2D.
Jim01
AG
Most stuff I read said that 4k is still pretty young, so to hold off for maybe the next tv you buy.

I read about ignoring "smart" but there aren't that many models that don't have smart standard.

Looks like the price on that Samsung went up to $1099, but I am sure it will go back on sale for $899 at some point. At that $899 price it seems pretty hard to beat.
SpicewoodAg
AG
I agree on ignoring 3D. Vizio has dropped 3D from many of its 2014 models. 3D is basically a giant bust.

Most better TVs have "smart" features so it is hard to avoid. Just don't choose one set over another because of better smart features. In two years the manufacturer will have quit supporting the firmware and the smart features will be stagnant.

I do not think 240 hz is important at all. For sets that have it - you may even prefer the picture with it turned off.
HossAg
AG
I have the 3d version of that TV, but I've never used the feature, and I rarely even use the smart features. That one looks fine to me. Samsung makes really great TVs.
cr0wbar
AG
From my understanding regarding 4K- there is no current medium that transmits/broadcasts 4k. Cable does not- nor does blu ray. You need the special player to do so.

HossAg
AG
That's why I don't understand the hype for 4k. Almost nothing supports it right now, so why do we need it?
2012Ag
AG
I have the tv you linked. Love it.
OD
I had that Vizio 3D smart set for about a week. Whatever on the 3D, but the 'smart' part of the set was slow and cumbersome compared to my PS3 and even my Wii.

Took it back and got a basic Samsung.

One other thing: it appears that Plasmas are being phased out by most brands and I don't understand why. To this day, I'm kicking myself for not getting a Plasma over my 120 hz Samsung which still artifacts like hell when there is a quick pan shot, usually in football games. The plasma picture is much, MUCH better than any LED imo. (not counting the 4000k)
Average Joe
AG
At this point you don't really pay extra for 3d or smart features. I believe all Samsungs at that size are smart tvs. The 3d will will be included when you get to that price point and quality. Panasonic's LED line is also worth a look. I'm on mobile so I don't feel like looking it up, but they have a 60" on sale for $999 pretty regularly. 60as530 is the model number I believe. Good looking tv.

For $899 the 6350 is a solid buy. Not bad at full price, either, but you can get equivalent tvs that would be on sale for cheaper.
Average Joe
AG
quote:
From my understanding regarding 4K- there is no current medium that transmits/broadcasts 4k. Cable does not- nor does blu ray. You need the special player to do so.

There are 4k upscaling bluray players. Again, upscaling. So, you are right, only the player is full 4k.

And I agree with the other poster, no need for it now unless you just have to have the latest. Even if it is just a waste. However, I don't see it taking as long for the major players to broadcast 4k as it did for 720 and 1080.
SpicewoodAg
AG
It doesn't really matter if a Blu-ray player upscales to 4K. The 4K TVs all upscale. If they didn't, the picture would fill only 1/4 of the display.

Unless the upscaling circuitry in a BR player is better than the TV's - it is irrelevant.
Tailgate88
AG
Can someone recommend a "Dumb", 65-70", 120hz, non 3D tv? Don't care about anything except picture.
BEaggie08
AG
Netflix and Amazon stream some content in 4k and 4k blu-rays will be out in early 2015.

It's not a matter of needing the latest thing, but of buying the best thing for my needs. If I'm buying a 70" - 80" TV then it makes sense to explore 4k. I will say that I'd probably rather wait on something besides a normal LED panel (like OLED). In that case, I may be waiting forever.

I'll likely go with 1080P this time just because of the price difference, but if I could find a good 4k priced within $500 of a similar 1080P set then I'd get it now.
SpicewoodAg
AG
quote:
Can someone recommend a "Dumb", 65-70", 120hz, non 3D tv? Don't care about anything except picture.

You can still find the Samsung PN64F8500, but its $3000 or so. It and the Panasonic ZT or VT are the last great plasmas to be made. The F8500 has all of the best qualities of plasmas - black level, viewing angle, natural color with the brightness of LCD/LED. I wish I had the money for it - I'd buy one now.
OD
Spicewood, for awhile there, plasmas were dirt cheap as the frenzy for the new LEDs took place. Now that plasmas have been discontinued, are the prices going the other direction?

Why the hell are they discontinuing them???
SpicewoodAg
AG
The prices on the top end plasmas (Samsung F8500 and Panasonic ZT/VT) aren't dropping because they are the "last great plasmas" made. And videophiles will apparently pay for them.

Lesser plasmas are cheap. I just bought a Samsung 43 inch F4500 for $299. It's 720p but a fantastic bedroom TV. Picture out of the box was a bit dark, but upping the cell light and adjusting contrast/black level fixed that. And it has none of the overpowering contrast of so many LCD/LED TVs.

I think they manufacturers are dropping them because too many people still succumb to the showroom best picture which is usually the brightest. So LCD/LED wins the side by side "honey which has the best picture" test.
RedbeardAG
AG
I am in the market for a new TV. My 73" Mitsubishi DLP is on the way out after 5 years. (Little white dots are appearing all over the screen).

Looking to find something in the 70" zone. Right now I'm fighting the battle with my wife who thinks anything over 60" is unnecessary... You can't go backwards in size.

So I'm just keeping my ear the ground for any good deal on anything 65"+
Tailgate88
AG
Yeah I was hoping to stay in the $1500 range ...
Jim01
AG
I've thought about plasma's. This 60 Samsung is pretty cheap and has really good reviews on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BCPGYZM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1410657338&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40
OD
My mom and stepfather went "cheap" and got a 720P, 42 inch Samsung plasma. Every time I go by their house, I am amazed at how good the picture looks. Much better than my more expensive 1080P LED Samsung of about the same year. The refrest rate really comes into play on football games when they do the quick pan of the field. 120 hz was supposed to "take care of that," but it's hogwash. The pixelating on fast panning scenes is still very noticeable. DRIVES ME CRAZY.
YouBet
AG
I told myself to buy a VT when they announced they would discontinue. I got busy with life and procrastinated and when i got back to looking again they were all gone or up to $4k. Could have had one for $1k. Idiot!

i do have a GT which is a damn nice tv. It's the 2013. I'll probably just move it into our media room to replace my old Sony Bravia XBR3. I will say my Sony has been a damn good tv and still has a fantastic picture. It's just slightly too small.
The Catfish
AG
I just bought the Vizio E series 55 inch. It is a smart TV and the apps actually work pretty well, but I like the functionality of my roku which does the same thing.

So far, I have been very pleased with the TV. I tinkered with the settings, but the 'standard/factory' setting seems to be the best picture.

Pros:
-Price...I got mine for about $670 and it is readily available under $700 at Walmart and Best Buy.
-Picture - good enough picture for me in 1080
-Weight - really light
-Smart Apps actually work

Cons:
-Sound quality - like all TV's that have gone thinner, the sound has suffered. I paired it with a cheap Vizio sound bar and sub and it sounds great. No complaints.

I did a lot of comparing on the 55 in TV's and I couldn't find a better bang for my buck. I also considered the current LG 55 and Samsung basic 55. Price won out for the Vizio.
Ezra Brooks
AG
I went through the exact same process as the poster above at Christmas last year and made the same decision.

Very happy with my 55" E-series Vizio right now paired with a Pioneer sound bar.
cav14
If you're fine with 55 inch range and want the best picture quality, then I highly recommend the OLED TV from LG. 4K is good and all, but OLED is truly the feature that made my jaw hit the floor when I saw it at the Magnolia Theatre at Best Buy. You can't get much better than infinite contrast. Seriously, go take a look at it when you are at Best Buy. It's the only OLED TV that's on the regular consumer market right now.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-55EA9800-Cinema-Curved/dp/B00E5U3YEK
KidDoc
AG
quote:
I am in the market for a new TV. My 73" Mitsubishi DLP is on the way out after 5 years. (Little white dots are appearing all over the screen).

Looking to find something in the 70" zone. Right now I'm fighting the battle with my wife who thinks anything over 60" is unnecessary... You can't go backwards in size.

So I'm just keeping my ear the ground for any good deal on anything 65"+
The white dots on the screen is pretty easy to fix. It happened to me last year and just had to call Mitsubishi and they replace the color wheel (I think) for <$100 and it was all better.

I like my DLP but may have to replace it when we move depending on living room setup. If the living room is one of those where the TV has to go above the mantle the big ole DLP won't work.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
RedbeardAG
AG
Hmm I was told it was 200+ to fix a chip then with the TV being 5years old the bulb should probably be replaced. Didn't want to throw a lot of money into it.
KidDoc
AG
You may be right with the $200 range but that is cheaper than $1000+ and, from what I have read, lamps aren't very pricey either. However I can totally relate to wanting to upgrade the TV just thought I would let you know.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Samsung has been really inconsistent with their handling of the white-dot issue.

The class action suit was for a very limited model selection even though the issue shows up in a lot more sets.

I called them multiple times and got different answers - even when I got the answer that I was hoping for it was a such a long process that I couldn't complete it in a single phone call - ultimately the process was so long and frustrating that I moved on to a new set.
Tailgate88
AG
quote:
Yeah I was hoping to stay in the $1500 range ...
...and I think I found my TV. $1297 + tax on Amazon for a 65" Plasma - "dumb", only two HDMI's (not a prob for me).

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN64H5000-64-Inch-1080p-Plasma/dp/B00I4OBXWI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410977070&sr=8-1&keywords=pn64h5000#productDetails

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/pn64h5000-201403143657.htm

Am I missing anything?
SpicewoodAg
Stive
AG
I'm in the market for a new TV as well. We have a 4 year old LG that won't receive signals anymore through the HD ports (switched out HD cables, switched DirectTV boxes, etc.....nothing fixed it).

If no one knows a quick/easy/cheap fix then I'm shopping as well.

This thread has been helpful thus far.

Any thoughts on the SONY flat screens? Any one better than another?

SpicewoodAg
AG
Sony and flat screen are kinda redundant aren't they? :-)

More seriously they are very good LCD/LED TVs. Seem to be a bit more expensive than Samsung.
RedbeardAG
AG
I'm going to give that plasma a good look. Was hoping to stay at 70" but all the reviews are very good.

fyi comp source has has it for $100 cheaper then amazon shipped.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.