TexAgs Redesign: Modern UI

2,731 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by cecil77
Aggie CMD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is the new TexAgs redesign influenced by Microsoft's Modern UI design methodology?

Use of white space to separate content. Clean straight edges and solid colors. Thoughtful integration and placement of ads
theterk
AG
I like it for the most part. too much gray though. I definitely like the pop-up post reply button, rather than the old post page.
culdeus
AG
Way too much scrolling required. hate the names over posts instead of beside them.
Fido04
AG
quote:
I like it for the most part. too much gray though. I definitely like the pop-up post reply button, rather than the old post page.
I agree.
Saxsoon
AG
Love the new look. Very clean, very professional, just what this site deserves.

Was hoping for some new emotes though.
redd38
AG
I think it sucks, too much wasted space. They gave up functionality trying to make it look trendy.
Saxsoon
AG
Never fails
taxpreparer
AG
I don't like the new design. I will probably stick with the mobil site from now on.
redd38
AG
quote:
Never fails

I agree, never fails that some people will assume that newer means better.
jmg3
AG
IMHO, I think it is a huge improvement. Love the modern UI and color scheme.

Posts under names is different, though I think needed. It was fine before, however with the new design, I don't know if it would work the old way. It definitely cleans up posts like Solari threads and its easier to see the big info vs posts with just an icon.

I was pleasantly surprised this morning. My daily lurkings are much more aesthetically pleasing now.

Great job TexAgs!
Kampfers
AG
I spend most of my time on the mobile site anyways so this update (which incorporates a fair bit of that UI) is very welcome. It's about time TexAgs came into the proper century. Should cut down on double and triple posting as well.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Is there a way to see all of the post headline instead of just part of it and ...? Also, why do some headlines have a few letters then ... and others have a few words before the ...?
redd38
AG
quote:
I spend most of my time on the mobile site anyways so this update (which incorporates a fair bit of that UI) is very welcome. It's about time TexAgs came into the proper century. Should cut down on double and triple posting as well.

You would think so, since stopping double posts is very simple to do. But I've already seen double posts today.
KC Aggie
AG
Unfortunately those of us whose employers haven't upgraded beyond IE8 are having a bad experience.
redd38
AG
quote:
Unfortunately those of us whose employers haven't upgraded beyond IE8 are having a bad experience.

And not just with texags... am I right? *ZING*
khkman22
AG
quote:
quote:

You would think so, since stopping double posts is very simple to do. But I've already seen double posts today.
Saw a poster state that when they edited on a mobile, it turned it into a double post. Don't know if that is accurate.
SeanDaAg2005
AG
Seems like transmitting passwords in plain text is a bit of a design flaw.
javajaws
AG
As a developer myself I like most of the changes - especially the built-in bbcode stuff (no more greasemonkey needed). But I think they've gone overboard with the vertical spacing between thread titles and in threads - needs condensing a little bit.
Philip J Fry
AG
Too much white space, which is probably a function of the gray not being dark enough.

Also, it's pretty much impossible to post on the desktop version using my phone.
RNG
I agree that things are too spaced out...I'd rather be able to see all topics in a given forum without scrolling.
slickag2007
AG
I like the new look. The old look was just that: old looking. It's a welcome change.
boy09
AG
I like it so far. Really like the popup reply box, and we finally have a button to quote a post! The only thing that's taking some getting used to is the forum jump at the top of the page instead of the bottom.
biobioprof
Like:
  • apostrophes in thread titles are long overdue!
  • image resizing
  • navigation of multipage threads

Still on the wishlist
  • Still no monospaced font option or tables
  • Preventing double posts by just doing a compare.
Regarding the look. I like it OK, and I've already forgotten the details of the old look, which was also OK by me.

I imagine that a large part of what goes into TexAgs forums changes is maintaining compatibility to the back end. But some of the stuff that is missing has been in open source forums for years, and I'm not sure what is here that is unique (in terms of the codebase).
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
You broke my greasemonkey!!!!!
cecil77
AG
The appearance and layout of the forums was dang near perfect before. I can't speak the the underlying code, but the new layout of posts is a step back, IMO. As has been mentioned, just too spaced out. I also want the choice of using the full screen width or not. Especially for subscribers, I don't so much space reserved for ads at the sides of the posts.

As to the "cleaner" look that's a matter of taste. I've recently updated the application I've written and maintained for my business in a similar, but not as extreme manner, i.e. almost no 3D look, square/straight lines and pleasantly contrasting color.

With Texags it's difficult to know how much of my opinion is simple resistance to change. However, it's also difficult to know how much was coded as change for change's sake. I hope they either dial back on the spacing and layout, or allow some user options to tweak the look.

I also don't like losing the ability to resize/enlarge the reply window. Mobile still allows that.
texsn95
AG
Sucks. Couldn't care less about the "featured stories" on the right.
The Fife
I liked seeing who posted last on a thread, it would be nice to bring that back.
ABKitch
AG
I do generally like the look and new style, but do understand why some feel there's not quite enough contrast. Maybe that would be something people get used to in time...

The one thing I don't understand is why the "FORUMS" link at the very top (and a few of the other words) don't have a menu when you hover over them. I see "PREMIUM" and "SPONSORS" is set up this way, and I naturally go there first to switch between forums, but there's no menu. They set it up to work that way with the little "arrows/refresh?" icon above the posts, but that location and icon do not seem intuitive to me.

All in all I do like the new style and especially the new posting interface, but if we all get one gripe, I guess that is mine!
aggieforester05
AG
Why do I get redirected the home page everytime I log in? Windows 8 with Chrome Browser
cecil77
AG
I there anywhere I see the number of views for each thread?
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
I there anywhere I see the number of views for each thread?
Not from the watchlist, but on each individual forum thread, the views is one of the numbers to the far right of each topic.
JonLobb
quote:
I think it sucks, too much wasted space. They gave up functionality trying to make it look trendy.
what functionality exactly was lost?

I can think of a dozen things I can do now that I couldn't before, but I can't think of a single one I could do before that I can't do any longer.

I took a hiatus from TA for several years, and was astounded when i returned a few months ago and found it looking and working exactly the same why it did when I left in 05, at which time it was already outdated.
cecil77
AG
I can't see the number of post/views on a thread.

The decreased density makes it less functional for me.

And I would love to know what those "dozen things" are. Maybe I've missed something.

I also disagree on your "outdated" assessment. That is normally a style evaluation, not a functional one. I don't care how long somethings been in us, the Texags forums layout and function was dang near perfect. Now it looks much like many others, which isn't necessarily a good thing.
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
quote:
what functionality exactly was lost?

I can think of a dozen things I can do now that I couldn't before, but I can't think of a single one I could do before that I can't do any longer.

I took a hiatus from TA for several years, and was astounded when i returned a few months ago and found it looking and working exactly the same why it did when I left in 05, at which time it was already outdated.

You used to able to hit back, read posts (and copy additional text), hit forward, and your typed out message was still there since it was a new page. The pop up replies killed this.

That's a pretty big feature imo
cecil77
AG
Yup. That was especially important if there was an error in posting. Now it takes two separate browser windows.

I understand style and the importance of appearing "fresh". However this, IMO, was a step back in useability. Note that does not mean feature.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.