Old stereo receiver to broadcast wireless?

1,478 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by PooDoo
mhayden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not sure exactly what the name of what I'd be looking for is (or if it exists), so I thought I'd ask the Nerdery:

My father has an old stereo receiver in the house he's had for years and he is very fond of it. They used to have speakers cables run from it to speakers out by their pool, but they no longer do (and the speakers outside by the pool were old as dirt and produced horrible sound).

I am looking for a way to still use the receiver he has inside, but have it broadcast wirelessly to a portable speaker set that can be moved around to the backyard and pool area.

Ability to hook up ipod to the speakers is a plus as well, but not a requirement.

Any suggestions?
FtWorthHorn
This is a weird request, because the primary purpose of a receiver (at least that would make you fond of it) is to power the speakers. Choosing inputs is a secondary function. That's really the only reason to keep it. If you want something to broadcast a wireless signal, just get something built to do that.
mhayden
Well it's an entire stereo setup that I think he's had for 20 something years with 8-track, record player, etc...

Basically I don't want him to have to give that and use it to control his music just like he always has, only change being that whatever he chooses will output to wireless speakers out by the pool.
howdydamnit04
AG
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketfish-universal-wireless-rear-speaker-kit-black/8275528.p?id=1171058476489&skuId=8275528
Ganondorf
AG
Like this:

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=8275528&ref=25&loc=PGR&ci_src=5784816&ci_sku=8275528&pid=1171058476489
Ganondorf
AG
Damn you damnit. I messed up my mobile copy paste.
mhayden
I looked at that product, but the rear receiver still must be attached via cables to speakers.
Ganondorf
AG
What about this option:

http://www.cnet.com/products/logitech-wireless-speaker-adapter-bluetooth-wireless-audio-receiver-series/
mhayden
That looks like it will get products like an ipod or the like piping TO my receiver and it's speaker setup.

I'm looking for something that will allow my receiver to connect wirelessly to speakers.

Basically I'm assuming these days you can buy a receiver that allows for bluetooth/wireless speaker output... I'm looking for an adapter for an older receiver that will accomplish that same thing... The receiver outputs the audio signal to the adapter that is plugged into its audio out, that adapter transmits the signal wirelessly to speakers.
Endo Ag
AG
Why does it matter if it picks up audio from speaker output vs an audio out? What format is the audio out? Rca? Headphone jack?
mhayden
Basically it's an old receiver that previously had wired speakers run to the outside.

Those speakers wired to the outside no longer exist and I want an easy way to still let that receiver play to some speakers outside without needing to run wires from inside the house.

Apologies if I'm not explaining this very well. If it was me I just would have bought a new receiver, but my father likes his old one.
PooDoo
AG
This plus a regular radio or boom box.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.