Home Theater Audito Guidance

510 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Agasaurus Tex
Gus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking at getting some sound for a 10 wide *15 deep area. If it matters, windows on side and open aree on the other side. I've been comparing all the usual suspects suggested on this site for speakers(NHT, Def, HSU, Paradigm,Polk, Mirage, Axiom etc)and Hsu, SVS, etc for subs.

Budget limit is about 2K for 5.1 setup. With that size room, do I need to "limit" myself to bookshelf speakers up front vs tower?
SpicewoodAg
AG
I think it is a myth that big speakers are somehow too much for a small room. They might be too big from an aesthetics perspective. But that's why many new tower speakers are very slender.

To reproduce deep bass you need a reasonably big subwoofer. A $5000 JL sub would sound great in that room, though it would be loafing the entire time.

Gus
AG
Any thoughts on NHT Absolute Towers? On sale for $450.
SpicewoodAg
AG
Haven't heard them but I am a fan of NHT in general. Seems like a great price.
AgDev01
AG
quote:
I think it is a myth that big speakers are somehow too much for a small room.

For dedicated 2 channel use i will say aside from the aesthetics part of being too large for a room, which applies above, there is also the physical footprint required for placement/positioning and a bookshelf might be more forgiving in that area. The only other potential issue, assuming a floor stander will produce lower frequencies than a bookshelf is that in a very small room the bass can be overloading.

For HT use i absolutely agree. The room correction software on the receiver will pretty much take care of or alleviate the issues i mentioned above.

The other issue that most people don't take into account that is helpful when deciding between the two is the cost of stands/mounts which can bring the overall cost up pretty quickly.

Haven't listened to those NHT but have been impressed with some of their older speakers.

Having owned and currently owning a slew of Paradigm speakers I am not a fan of the current offerings and would not recommend those.

While i have always hated the look on pretty much all of their speakers and thus never bought any Definitive does make some very good sounding speakers.

One brand you did not list that would be worth checking out would be Golden Ear. While they may be slightly out of your price range or at the very top of it and the looks are basically on par with Definitive,imo, those ribbon tweeters do sound good. If i were to replace my paradigm 5.1 system today they would certainly be near the top of my list.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
If you decide to go bookshelf, I highly recommend the Martin Logan Motion 15 speakers. The ribbon tweeters sound exceptional. I went to a Magnolia store pretty much set on buying Definitive Technology. After hearing the ML's it was a no brainer that I was going with the Motion 15s even though they were more expensive. Head to a Magnolia store and give them a listen.
Gus
AG
Yes, the Martin Logan's are very nice and are in consideration. As mentioned above, if I get stands for Martin Logan's , the price starts to really climb. I don't have any shelves to put them on and not sure that I trust my four boys not to knock them over . I feel they would be less likely to knock over the floor speakers but I'm probably being delusional. Thanks for the info in Paradigm and Golden Ear.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Found some nice stands on Amazon for less than $100. But I certainly understand your concern with four little guys running around. Good luck with whatever you choose!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.