Windows automatic update keeps turning itself off..

671 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by MahatmaKJeeves
Absolute
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any idea why?

I did a google search and found a "solution" that changed the setting at the registry level to on. It seemed to work, then several days later it is back. Would antivirus do this?

Had to reload windows on this laptop a few weeks ago and it just seems slightly off. Actually considering trying to reinstall again. But there is not a bunch of old lingering stuff hanging out on the drive.
JAW3336
AG
i am having the same problem, and I just loaded windows on a replacement hard drive.
TexasRebel
AG
Which version of windows?
permabull
AG
Absolute
AG
Windows 7 home premium on a Dell XPS 15. Was not an issue before the recent reload.

[This message has been edited by Absolute (edited 8/30/2014 8:21a).]
bmc13
AG
that doesn't sound like a problem. sounds like a feature.
91_Aggie
AG
Might have a virus
dubi
AG
Was the solution?

http://www.overclock.net/t/1445914/windows-7-automatic-update-keeps-turning-itself-off-requesting-to-be-turned-on-over-and-over

Absolute
AG
yes
dubi
AG
Run this:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/malicious-software-removal-tool-details.aspx

I'd be tempted to reload windows again. Are you running AV and spyware like Malwarebytes? I had virus issues when my kids used the computers.
Absolute
AG
I will give that a try. I am leaning to a reformat and reinstall too. Since I just did it a few weeks ago it should not be a big deal. I made sure everything was backed up to an external hd yesterday.

I do run av and keep the kids off this machine for the most part. But I had to have it running with no protection for about 8 days after the reload so that carbonite would restore stuff. Had a bunch of issues with the restore and it took forever.

I did the backup yesterday with the intent to reload today. Should be easy and this time all data will inky take an hour or so to copy back over.
Absolute
AG
Decided I am going to reload. Going to upgrade the HD and reload next weekend. The malicious software check came back negative.
dubi
AG
I'd buy a $20 copy of Malwarebytes Pro to keep it safe from your kids.
Absolute
AG
Well, I replaced the HD and reloaded the OS. This time it had protection from the get go. Still has the annoying issue.

From looking on Google, it would appear it happens to others as well. Any thoughts on a solution?
MahatmaKJeeves
May be a bug. I was on 7 on a couple of my work desktops when the power failed with the big storms a couple of weeks ago. My personal desktop had to be moved and set up again where we had power. Long story short, when I got ready to move it back, it told me it needed to load and install over 100 updates and I know I'd personally set it to auto-update like always.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.