Google Chrome acting weird

1,068 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Out in Left Field
Out in Left Field
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All of a sudden the icons, buttons, tabs, etc. are larger than normal like they are magnified. Websites don't fit right on the screen, a lot of text is somewhat blurry and not sized right. Has this happened to anyone?

I didn't change any settings. The rest of my computer is the same. It is not the zoom in browser either. Any thoughts?
UmustBKidding
Release 37 out today and it does render some objects differently. There are also 64bit builds but update will keep you on 32 bits unless you go reinstall. If you reinstall without removing it will import your settings and extensions. 64bit make security more effective by virtue of larger address space to randomize into. Also fixes a bunch of sandbox escape issues.
jagouar1
AG
Also of note with the new higher dpi support comes at the cost of battery life. Pretty significant loss too for those on laptops with high dpi displays.

http://anandtech.com/show/8327/browser-faceoff-battery-life-explored-2014

[This message has been edited by jagouar1 (edited 8/27/2014 2:57p).]
TravelAg2004
AG
From this article http://www.zdnet.com/bigger-better-64-bit-chrome-web-browser-now-available-for-windows-7000032999/

quote:
Regardless of whether you use 32- or 64-bit Chrome on Windows, the new Chrome now supports DirectWrite support on Windows for improved font rendering. DirectWrite has been around since Windows Vista, but Google had continued to use the mid-80's Graphics Device Interface (GDI) for font rendering. That was fine in the day when VGA's 640x480 resolution was the best you could expect, but it's completely out of date today.

Not everyone is happy with this change. Some users are reporting that with DirectWrite, "Chrome appears zoomed in and blurry, including the header bar (address bar, tabs, bookmarks bar)." I was unable to reproduce this problem on any of my Windows 7 or 8 systems. I strongly suspect this problem is because of a combination of individual factors rather than a Chrome bug.

One user has suggested that if this happens to you, you can try "Right-clicking the Chrome shortcut and then click Properties. On the Compatibility tab, select Disable Display Scaling On High DPI Settings, and then click OK. This causes the text in the application to appear clearer." This fix is based on a fix for Windows applications having trouble with high DPI displays.

May be the issue the OP is reporting.
Vernada
AG
It blows on my large monitor. Fonts weirded looking. Some areas of the screen will randomly go blurry, then normal, the blurry.
BlackGold
AG
My chrome has been slow the last few days, maybe it's because of the update. Where do I update it at?
MGS
Google has been monitoring your browsing habits and has determined that you're getting older, so it's just adjusting your browsing experience to make it easier on your eyes.
99CentBeer
I like the update. Makes text on websites a lot clearer. Big improvement for me.
Vernada
AG
Everything is now looking good.
Out in Left Field
AG
It looks back to normal.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.