Slingbox questions

699 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by TX scallywAG
TMfrisco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am going to be working away from home for a while and will be renting a place.
If I put a Slingbox on an unused tv at my house will I be able to use that to watch tv at my rental place?
What will I need other than wifi? I think some device like an ipad and an apple tv at the rental should work.
Am I missing anything?
Seven Psycho Ags
All you need is a cable box and internet connection at your house. As far as using it, there is an app and a website.

I love my Slingbox. It's one of the best investments I've ever made
BadMoonRisin
AG
I would check out the SlingTV if you have tried to navigate the Sling Ap on a AppleTV or Roku and found it frustrating. The interface is supposedly better.

I cant comment further because it seems I am several generations behind (I have a Slingbox Pro)

It does look to be a bit more expensive ($299), but you might find a retailer that has one on display to try it out and see if it would work better. Probably depends on how long you are going to use this setup.

[This message has been edited by BadMoonRisin (edited 8/25/2014 7:11p).]
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Slingbox is great.

Main thing to keep in mind is that the bottleneck will be the UP speed at the place it is hooked up to. Most services are 1.5mbps and that will work, though it won't be super high quality. Anything over that and you'll get better results. Anything under that and it will probably be frustrating at times.

As far as apps, there is a website that is free to use and they also have iPad and iPhone apps, but you have to pay for each of them and they're like $20 IIRC.

Anyhow, it's an awesome product and I love it, even just for watching something in the room with the family other than what they're watching.
Aero95
AG
I use a Slingbox adapter on my Dish Hopper DVR + their app (Android phone, iPad) and it works great. Not sure what you have for TV service at home, but my combo works great. Just need a good internet connection on both ends.
TMfrisco
AG
So, Ethernet at home to seldom used Directv dvr.
New place wifi to Ipad/other device. Apple tv to television.
Good to watch anything I have on the home tv including Netflix?

Thanks
Dro07
AG
When they say Apple TV them mean mirroring because there isn't a stand alone app for Apple TV.

The iPad interface is 100x better and I am not joking. Night and day between the last version and the new one.
jr15aggie
AG
I currently have my Tivo (suddenlink cable) running to my Xbox One and to the TV from there. I was looking into a Slingbox (the cheaper one) but it apparently does not have HDMI in/out. That creates a problem because I need it to be HDMI to work with my XB1.

I'm thinking my Tivo might still output via the component/coax cables at the same time as HDMI... so my solution would be to run component to the slingbox and keep my HDMI setup with the xbox un-altered. Anybody have experience?
TX scallywAG
AG
Just speaking high level... most devices are outputting one or another. Not both simultaneously
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.