Free antivirus

1,551 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Wildmen03
cmk10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any help on which free software is the best?? Avira or avast?
Bregxit
AG
keysercade
AG
I use AVG, but I haven't seen a difference between it, Avast or Avira to be honest.
CapCity12thMan
AG
immediately discount that chart since Norton/Symantec got 5 stars for performance
TX AG 88
AG
agreed. and I would not use Kapersky, either.

I use Avast and have been very satisfied.
Bregxit
AG
Just posting a source that the OP can reference regarding the products he asked about. Going to the individual lab sites agrees with it for whatever that is worth. Probably more than anecdotal opinions but not much.

That said, I have been happy with Avast.
TracerX
Here's a recent comparison from Lifehacker. I've been testing Avira and it was doing ok (the nag popups are a bit annoying but it is free) but I started finding my computer running at 100% cpu at random times and would find multiple instances of ipmgui.exe (the program Avira uses to show popups) running and using the cpu. Had to kill those in task manager to get the cpu usage back down so that gets a mark against it from me.
agfan2013
AG
I use a pay version of Avira and it works really well. Don't know how it compares to the free version though.
farmer2010
AG
Another happy avast user checking in.
getme
MSE and common sense seem to work well, other than that Avira is excellent.
PooDoo
AG
If you are paying for Internet access you are already paying for antivirus software... You should be able to get it through your ISPs website.
Wildmen03
AG
quote:
MSE and common sense seem to work well
Agreed. Though I run Malwarebytes and CCleaner from time to time just to help clean up the clutter.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.