AC: Unity new gameplay

3,343 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by wangus12
Kampfers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/08/08/the-new-gameplay-of-assassins-creed-unity.aspx?utm_content=buffer30c78&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I am totally geeking out over this. I need three other people to get on board so we can have a full crew come October 28

Couple of points in the video were just sick. The assassination of the guard in the doorway about midway though is awesome when you see the blood splatter hit the doorframe and wallpaper and stain it. Also, later in the video when they are demonstrating the controlled descent and he just jumps off the side of the building and smoothly goes from place to place...

[This message has been edited by Kampfers (edited 8/8/2014 5:41p).]
fav13andac1)c
AG
Haven't seen this particular video with commentary, but that gameplay was shown at E3 2 months ago. Hate to be that guy but somebody's going to tell you. Gameplay is awesome though.
Kampfers
AG
I knew some of the gameplay was old (I watched it when it was unveiled at E3) but I thought there might have been new clips added. Regardless, the particular compilation with the commentary was still worth a watch.
CRM1712
AG
I'm in, Kampfers
jr15aggie
AG
I was already in. Had completely ignored this series after ACII, but black flag dragged me back in. I'm all for doing some coop missions with a crew... My expectations are very high for this game.
Fenrir
Seems to be going back to some of the AC1 roots. Hopefully the stealth actually matters this times. I miss the way you could try to plan your attack in AC1 whereas in the sequels they only gave you one path to take instead of being able to figure out how to assassinate.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
Seems to be going back to some of the AC1 roots. Hopefully the stealth actually matters this times. I miss the way you could try to plan your attack in AC1 whereas in the sequels they only gave you one path to take instead of being able to figure out how to assassinate.

I agree, but this seems to take it a step farther than AC1. What I hated about AC1 was that you could have a really stealthy approach, but then to trigger the "assassination memory" you would have to drop down into the crowd or whatnot and you would lose a lot of the options you had at your disposal.
Fenrir
Yes, it seems to be an extension of the AC1 philosophies.

AC2 went in a very different direction, and while I loved AC2 and ACB (still working on AC4 and it's pretty good so far even though I really ****ing hate the "trail ____" missions), a fully fleshed out version of the original AC1 philosophies is very intriguing to me.

Also I'm not sure if it's due to series fatigue or what, but the settings have gone downhill to me starting with AC:R. I felt pretty awe inspired by the setting in AC1, AC2, and ACB. Haven't had that feeling since then though. I wonder if it is in part because of how the games have become a collect-a-thon.
Kampfers
AG
I think the setting should be much more compelling this time. AC3 struggled from trying to do a bit too much, and both AC3 and Black Flag struggled from the lack of a true eye-catching city. So in terms of setting I'd expect it to go back to those original levels that we saw in AC, AC2, and brotherhood.

Stealth should be improved since they want to make it more of an "assassin" experience and they've correspondingly made fighting more difficult and eliminated the counter button (which I was certainly guilty of abusing).

Overall mechanics have been vastly improved with the introduction of controlled descent and "stealth mode". Then you have new aspects introduced like group play.

Now factor in that this is next Gen only and the graphics, atmosphere, etc should be incredible.

I've played and enjoyed every assassins creed game but it definitely was starting to get stale, particularly when Revelations was just more of the same from Brotherhood (which was more or less more of the same from AC2). They tried some innovative things in AC3 but overall lacked a sense of purpose, and Black Flag sparked some new life into the series but strayed quite far from its roots.

This is probably my most anticipated game for this fall. Hopefully they can avoid the repetitiveness of past titles.

I'm also quite interested (although I know many aren't) to see what they do with the modern-day storyline. I quite enjoyed the missions with Desmond in AC3 where you broke into Abstergo and had hoped that previewed a modern AC setting.
agfan2013
AG
Loved Rome as the setting for Brotherhood, even had part of Vatican City which I thought was cool.

I really liked the tropical setting of Black Flag, it was just so much different in terms of colors and how vibrant and diversified they were. I heard a lot of people remark on how much better the graphics were, I don't think the actual graphics were leaps and bounds better than previous games, it was just a combination of the crystal clear blue water you wanted to jump in, and the really green trees and plants that were scattered across the environments that were new to the series.

Going back to a darker city like Paris is actually one of the few things I think I won't like about Unity.

They did say they were implementing some new combat mechanics. Let's be honest, it's been the same: wait for someone to attack, counter, rinse and repeat fighting style since AC 2 or Brotherhood. So I'm hoping they mix some new mechanics in, they've already talked about how they now have downward free running, so you won't always be looking for the newest haystack to dive into.

[This message has been edited by Agfan2013 (edited 8/11/2014 11:20a).]
benMath08
AG
Has any more information been revealed about coop?
agfan2013
AG
quote:
I've played and enjoyed every assassins creed game but it definitely was starting to get stale, particularly when Revelations was just more of the same from Brotherhood (which was more or less more of the same from AC2). They tried some innovative things in AC3 but overall lacked a sense of purpose, and Black Flag sparked some new life into the series but strayed quite far from its roots.

This is probably my most anticipated game for this fall. Hopefully they can avoid the repetitiveness of past titles.

It's like I'm talking to myself. You described my thoughts and experiences pretty much to a T (except I skipped AC Revelations completely).

When they first announced Unity, I was going to skip it. The series has gotten fairly stale in terms of gameplay and mechanics, really varied environments can only get you so far. But combined with coop, new free running and combat mechanics, next gen only graphics/processing/rendering leading to far bigger crowds and bigger environments (isn't there a video where they say over 25% of the buildings are enterable now?) I'm definitely excited to play this.

[This message has been edited by Agfan2013 (edited 8/11/2014 11:27a).]
Kampfers
AG
Pretty sick graphics in the teaser shown during the Xbox one show at gamescom
Kampfers
AG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot0MpgIaMC4
Saxsoon
AG
And now micro transactions have been announced for the game. I know I will not touch these but it is unsettling that a $60 game has micro transactions. Already season passes piss me off
agfan2013
AG
quote:
And now micro transactions have been announced for the game. I know I will not touch these but it is unsettling that a $60 game has micro transactions. Already season passes piss me off

What are they going to be for? That's crap, you already know they will have multiples DLC packs for it and a season pass. Is 40+% of your consumers spending in the neighborhood of $80 for your game not enough?
powerbelly
AG
quote:
What are they going to be for?

I would assume it is for items you can acquire during normal gameplay, but the microtransactions allow people to get them earlier than normal.
wangus12
AG
Will pick up when I get an XB1. I'll be picking up AC: Rogue for the 360 when it releases.
slickag2007
AG
I wish they would release both of the new AC games on next gen systems. Though, I don't care as much about Rogue as I do Unity.
agfan2013
AG
quote:
quote:
What are they going to be for?

I would assume it is for items you can acquire during normal gameplay, but the microtransactions allow people to get them earlier than normal.

If that's the case then that's not too bad. Battlefield 4 allowed you to buy battle packs instead of earning them but it wasn't necessary by a long shot. As long as it's stuff you can unlock by just playing the game, I'm fine with it then.
Saxsoon
AG
It is just weird as there is no competitive mp in the game, it is just single and coop
hph6203
AG
Never played it, but the idea of competitive mp on AC sounds awful.
agfan2013
AG
quote:
Never played it, but the idea of competitive mp on AC sounds awful.

You couldn't be more wrong, do yourself a favor and try it. Incredibly fun and really different than a lot of other games.
agfan2013
AG
quote:
It is just weird as there is no competitive mp in the game, it is just single and coop

This bums me out, multiplayer was great. Did they give a reason? Hell, I hadn't even heard that it wasn't going to be in.
Saxsoon
AG
They shifted all resources from mp to the coop to get the coop right and balanced
Fenrir
While I'm going to miss the MP, they haven't made any real improvements to it since Brotherhood. Brotherhood was probably the best of the bunch and it was the first one.
jr15aggie
AG
I was looking forward to MP because I stopped playing the series after AC II, which was when MP started. I had AC IV, but I was late to the party and never tried MP because I would have been an easy target noob (still my bad for not even trying it). Bummed to hear that Unity will not have anything. I would have been fine with them simply copying previous MP stuff and quickly throwing together a few new maps.

Oh well... Give me something to look forward to for the next release which will probably happen in 2015. Co-op will still be fun... too bad some of us are split between XB1 & PS4... would be fun to all play together.
jeffk
AG
I'm a six months after release, single player only AC person, so this doesn't bother me much.

Are the coop missions part of the main story or are they side missions?
wangus12
AG
Saw some more stuff on the combat mechanics. Seems like they have completely gotten rid of the strike/counter-kill system and the kill streak and are going with attack/parry/dodge . They compared it to fencing and using timing as everything.

Since I picked up an XB1, this is now my most anticipated game of the year. Never been much of a coop person though so not sure I'll try it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.