Civilization: Beyond Earth

3,225 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by SpringsAg
PvL-Vorbeck07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I guess I've been living under a rock for a while now but I just found out that they are coming out with this new Civ game this Fall. I'm pretty stoked as I'm addicted to Civ 5 and this one seems to take the game in an interesting direction. It's basically the spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri. If this is already well known, be gentle, I did use the search option and didn't find any discussion on this to date.

Anyway, just wanted to hear other Civ players thoughts on Civ: Beyond Earth coming out this Fall. Everything I've seen or read seems to point that this will be a pretty good one.

Cheers!
Kyle98
AG
I enjoyed Alpha Centauri, so I'm looking forward to this one. I'm also addicted to Civ V, and still play quite a bit. Have a game going right now as Venice in the late 1800s. Arabia is about to get clobbered, I hope!
Teacher_Ag
AG
They did awesome stuff with both the G&K and BNW expansions...so as long as they continue in that direction, this game is going to be amazing.
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
Ya, I'm in a game right now where I'm the Romans (going for the whole Classical antiquity type feel) and freaking Ghandi, peace loving my a$$ Ghandi is a warmongering freak. There's not anything more humiliating that getting your butt kicked by Ghandi!! Been playing Civ games since I was a little guy and I don't even want to think how many hours, days, etc that i've sunk into these games.How many times I've uttered the phraes...."just one more turn!" They truly are brilliant and actually teach you some cool stuff about World History, etc. That's what has always intrigued me.
Malachi Constant
AG
Alpha centauri had the best government system of any of the civ games. I hope they build on that for beyond earth
Dr. Horrible
Is this an expansion to civ5 or standalone? I never played AC, but I always wanted my civ games to let me keep going into the future, other than "Research Future Tech 4".
Pro Sandy
AG
Why play anything beyond Civ 2? I still have my cds for it.
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
Dr. Horrible - it's a standalone game. I'm really interested in the 3 Affinity Philosophy/Ideology system they have in place plus there's this quest system that allows you to have a bit of a Sci-Fi narrative to enhance the experience. It all sounds really awesome and giving Firaxis's track record with Civ games, I'm starting to get really pumped.

Here's the link to learn more about it.

http://www.civilization.com/en/games/civilization-beyond-earth/

[This message has been edited by PvL-Vorbeck07 (edited 7/24/2014 10:31a).]
Teacher_Ag
AG
One of the aspects that they've discussed that I'm really looking forward to is that from the outset of the game, your faction and the way you set up your journey in terms of what you chose to bring (and what you didn't) will greatly affect the way your game unfolds.
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
Yep, that's right Teacher Ag. Really different aspect that I can't wait to explore. Also, you get to essentially build your own Civ in the sense that there aren't your classic historical Civs to choose from (i.e, Romans, Germans, Greeks,etc.). In the plot of the game, the year is a couple hundred years in the future from where you end in Civ 5 once you hit the Space program victory. Then some terrible humanitarian disaster that they call the "Great Mistake" happens on Earth and basically comes within an inch of totally collapsing society, civilization, and life on earth as we know it. So with Beyond Earth, the planet's governments are just starting to recover from this and decide that mankind's future lies in colonizing other worlds. Back to a cool aspect of the game is that you then get to build your own custom Civ it sounds like with some framework to work around of course.

Oh, also there's a Tech Web instead of a linear Tech "highway". So you can actually branch out and have more flexibility in what technology you want your Civ to have.

[This message has been edited by PvL-Vorbeck07 (edited 7/24/2014 10:54a).]

[This message has been edited by PvL-Vorbeck07 (edited 7/24/2014 10:57a).]
bbattbq01
AG
Preloaded
DrillerAg11
AG
Already pre purchased and ready to go
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
Preloaded as well....can't wait!
LostInLA07
AG
This better be better than the recent sim city cluster f.
ag_derp
AG
I am passing on this for now..broke college student...looks promising.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
This better be better than the recent sim city cluster f.
Yeah, there is so much hype for this that I've got sim city/spore heebie jeebies. I hope not because the concept is awesome. Never been much for civ's turn based combat system, but I'm anxiously watching to see what people think of this one.
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
Yeah, i'd be lying to you if I said I wasn't buying into the hype right now. I love Civ5 and Alpha Centauri back in the day. Easily in my top 5 favorite strategy games of all time. My rationale is if you combine both, then holy sheet that's going to be awesome. I do have some concerns about certain features that will be missing from Civ 5 BNW though.

• No religion - replaced with new Affinity system. Ok, I'll give it a shot.
  • No Great Person units - This kinda sucks IMO
  • No Culture, Diplomatic, or Time victory conditions - Meh, they have different specific VC based on your Affinity. I'll give it a shot.
  • No Happiness metric - replaced with Health which acts in the same exact manner, not a biggie
  • No luxury resources - no tradable luxury resources. Not really a fan of this TBH. I liked having luxury resources nobody else had.
  • No Natural wonders - replaced with Progenitor ruins, Crashed satellites, Derelict settlements, and Alien skeletons, etc. Ok, seems worth a try.
  • No Golden Ages - Having excess Health doesn't trigger any kind of additional benefit like a GA. Not a fan. Really liked working towards a GA and it's extra benefits were a nice boost.
  • Only 8 factions - At this time, only 8 factions. Seems small compared to Civ5. I guess they've left room for DLC later. IMO, They are missing a North/Central European (Anglo,Celtic,Germanic,Nordic) and a Middle Eastern (Turkish, Arab) Caliphate type factions
American Reclamation Corp - Basically North America
Brasilia - Basically South America
Franco Iberia - France, Italy, Spain, Portugal
Kavithan Protectorate - India, Iran, Pakistan
Pan Asian Cooperative - China, Koreas, Japan, SE Asia
Peoples Africa Union - Africa
Polystralia - Australia, Polynesia, Indonesia, etc.
Slavic Federation - Russia, Eastern Europe, Kazakhstan

I have my concerns and the jury's still out on this one but hopefully it meets the hype. Firaxis has a good track record and I've been impressed with expansions & DLC for Civ5. If BE has some struggles at initial release, i'm sure they'll improve upon it down the road. We'll find out soon enough!

On a side note - I never was a personal fan of SIM city though I understood it's appeal to others. What happened with the recent SIM city cluster as someone put it earlier?
Predmid
AG
I'm having flashbacks to random indigenous species wrecking my civ at the worst times in AC.
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
OMG....i know right. Freaking mind worms wrecking havoc on my cities!! Those F'ers would come out of nowhere
JJxvi
AG
quote:
On a side note - I never was a personal fan of SIM city though I understood it's appeal to others. What happened with the recent SIM city cluster as someone put it earlier?
The game didn't live up to the hype. It's basically a small town simulator because of how over ambitious they got with the engine (and even then for certain things it didn't make sense). The game could only handle very small maps, and even then at high development the simulation (esp traffic) started breaking down. The best aspect of the game are the big business aspects of it, but I'm guessing not many people bought it to set up oil, coal, and ore trading conglomerates.

As far as the big cock up, they made it online only, and the game didn't work for like a week or more because their servers couldn't handle the demand.

http://texags.com/forums/30/topics/2236518

Things start going south around page 6.
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
Yikes. Thanks for sharing. Ya, that sounds horrible and I hope BE doesn't follow that path!
Fenrir
They also claimed it wouldn't work offline because of all the super high end calculations (like all the AI) that had to be done server side and then somebody made a mod of it that worked offline within like a couple of weeks. The AI was shown very quickly to quite terrible. They ended up releasing an official patch to make unmodded versions work offline.

EA gonna EA.
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
Good Lord, they really screwed it up it sounds. Still, that was EA as publisher and Maxis as developer. I don't see Firaxis F'ing up so bad like that. They are one of the few companies remaining that I still have some faith in.
Buck O Five
AG
Reviews are in:

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/10/23/civilization-beyond-earth-review
bbattbq01
AG
Played for an hour this morning. Beautiful game. No clue what I'm doing though! Gonna take some time to learn the tech and building trees.
CDub06
AG
Interested in what y'all think
bbattbq01
AG
Favorite part in my short time was I got control of some alien beetles which I was flying around using as a scout unit until suddenly they got one shot by a "siege worm". Some interesting alien creatures are around. Flew by a kraken in the ocean too before getting squished.
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
quote:
Played for an hour this morning. Beautiful game. No clue what I'm doing though! Gonna take some time to learn the tech and building trees.

Same for me basically. Got to play about an hour late last night and have to work this morning but will really dive in later this afternoon. First impressions are that it's very good and I'm going to love it. The overall take from the folks on Steam is that they like it too. You have some trolls on there that are b1tching and complaining about this and that but overall I think it's shaping up to be a very good to great game. Especially once they start releasing expansions and DLC.
Post removed:
by user
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
quote:
Any good deals or all list price for a while?
I believe it's $49.99 all around right now. Maybe Steam will do a sale down the road but i'm not aware of anywhere you can get it cheaper now.
ag_derp
AG
I will just wait for GOTY edition with all the dlc.
kb2001
AG
Sale at GameAgent related to the mac and linux version. 25% off, but you won't get keys until the linux/mac release. You have to sign up for an account on the site, then you get 25% off

https://www.gameagent.com/dashboard
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
quote:
Sale at GameAgent related to the mac and linux version. 25% off, but you won't get keys until the linux/mac release. You have to sign up for an account on the site, then you get 25% off

https://www.gameagent.com/dashboard

Ah, nice. I stand corrected then. Good find.

So, basically played for over 5 hours yesterday and I gotta say.....i'm REALLY enjoying this game. It's not perfect but it's really very good. It's like Civ5 but AC rolled into one with several unique differences & new ideas. Some criticism is that it should've been just a AC mod for Civ5 but I think BE stands alone as it's own game. They need to increase the factions (Include a Northern/Central European and ME Turkish/Arabic factions IMO) and add some DLC down the road (little tweaks here and there) but initial impressions are that I'm going to be spending a lot of "just one more turn" type nights in the coming months....
bbattbq01
AG
One more turned it until 430 this morning. Beat it for first time. Getting more used to how the game works.
Kyle98
AG
I jumped right in and tried to play it like I'd play Civ V. Yeah, that didn't work out too well. Started back up and turned all the tips and stuff on and actually read through them, getting a better understanding. Going to take a while to learn the tech tree, and what my preferences are on paths for different strategies. Loving it so far, though.

On Civ V now, I usually just do a random civ until I get one I haven't won with yet, but here, I'm probably just going to start at the top and work my way through them, trying out different strategies with spaceships and the other starting choices. See what works best with my playstyle.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.