wireless router that doesn't suck?

7,854 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Sling Blade
flintdragon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is there such as thing as a router that doesn't require a reboot every 2 weeks?

Tried all the brands and they all have the issue more or less. I don't even do any torrenting any more so internet usage is rather light other than some movie streaming.

Is there a solution out there that I can buy? Would a Cisco small business router be any better?
WoMD
The apple airport has been bullitproof for me, three gens all still working strong. Oldest is about six years now. Reboot maybe once a year.
TexasRebel
AG
The uptime on my linksys was over 300 days when I manually rebooted it for fun the other day.
Barry Kripke
AG
Asus Dark Knight
dubi
AG
http://www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-N900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B006QB1RPY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404572682&sr=8-1&keywords=Asus+router
SpicewoodAg
AG
My three + year old ASUS RTN16 has been excellent, but it took at least three firmware updates to stabilize.

So if your router is iffy - check for firmware updates.
agdoc2001
AG
I actually have to agree with Barry...now I feel dirty.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jr15aggie
AG
The Asus router is nails! So good.

And I too was shocked at how bad most routers are. After I needed more than my 10 year old linksys could do, I tried 3 different models (all close to $100) and all of them had major issues. Some would drop devices, some would refuse to let my XB1 operate with an open NAT even with a DMZ. The Asus, heaven forbid, actually works! I haven't had to reboot it once or do anything else with it since I got it over a month ago.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Have an Airport Extreme and an Asus rt-n66u and have had zero issues with either. My personal fav is the ASUS.
KidDoc
AG
Netgear nighthawk.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GAP76
AG
Apple airport has worked flawlessly for me
moore42
AG
I just bought a Netgear Nighthawk to replace the WNDR3400 that wouldnt cover my house. Nighthawk is pricey, but it works.
dave99ag
AG
I finally retired my Linksys WRT-54G (couldn't run DD-WRT) and bought an Asus RT-AC66U. The range and speed are definitely better, as they should be. Time will tell if it'll be as rock-solid as that WRT-54G.
Artorias
AG
What dubi said. That's what I have and have had zero issues
flintdragon
AG
Looks like the dark knight is what I'm going to get.

What do y'all think about any of the small business routers like by Cisco (not Linksys)? Thinking a unit made for a business would care more about uptime than ping times.
flintdragon
AG
looking at the RT-AC66U or 68U. Any thoughts?
srob2004
AG
I have the netgear night hawk and love it. Best router I've had since the old linksys big blue with the antennas. I've had newer linkysys and asus.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC1900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B00F0DD0I6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404755162&sr=8-1&keywords=netgear+nighthawk

t_J_e_C_x
AG
I'm reading a lot of bad reviews regarding the Asus firmware. Anyone with the Asus products want to discuss the firmware? I'm needing a new router myself.

The Nighthawk looks great, but not for $182+

[This message has been edited by JCRebel13 (edited 7/7/2014 4:01p).]
91AggieLawyer
AG
No problems with the Airport Extreme. The only time I've messed with it is when I moved some computers and printers around.
Absolute
AG
I bought a mediabridge wireless router last year based on Amazon reviews. Have not had any issues at all with it. Don't remember it being as cheap as it is now. Not sure if there is a downside to it, that the more expensive ones would make up for.

Medialink Wireless-N Broadband Router with Internal Antenna (150 Mbps) - 2.4GHz - 802.11b/g/n
cwally
AG
Ubiquiti Unifi
Ubnt.com

They do require the installation of a software controller. Great product.
flintdragon
AG
thanks cwally. I started looking at more exotic solutions and that one looks interesting. Pricey but I might be willing to shell out cash so I don't have to reboot a device every week.
dubi
AG
My Asus has been unplugged once in 8 months and I think it was really a Suddenlink problem.

Buy a good router and you will not have problems if you have a consistent internet provider.
skippythemagnificent
AG
I have the RT-AC68U.

I think its great. Excellent range and great speed paired with 5.0 devices. Only rebooted it once when I initially got it but havent had any issues in the last 6 months.
flintdragon
AG
I do buy good routers... but being "good" in no way tells me about its reliability. Having the highest speed or longest range is what reviews test but I can't find anything about reliability.

Over the years, my internet usages have varied from torrenting a lot down to now just a little streaming and basic internet surfing. No device has been bulletproof.

Currently I have, what was then close to top of the line, a Linksys WRT-310N. Also have a dd-wrt WRT-54g acting as a secondary wireless bridge.

I'll be upgrading to either the 66U, 68U or R7000 as a last chance for these consumer devices. Would hate to go small business devices.
TexasRebel
AG
The 300 & 600 series linksys routers were their worst ever.
Macarthur
I've had this one about a year and it's been good. My son does a ton of video game streaming and we have plenty of juice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122326
flintdragon
AG
yeah, I'm just saying I try to purchase the "best" at the time and I've yet to find a router that didn't need to be rebooted. I hope the one I got is good!

I ended up with the Netgear one because it is on sale at tigerdirect. $160+tax.
Signel
AG
I went with the nighthawk.. I have so many devices streaming all the time now that I needed a firewall with some power so the streams wouldn't crap out. I will slowly upgrade my adapters to take advantage of the 802.11ac..
Dr. Horrible
I just bought this one before reading this post... Anyone have any experience with it? I'm wondering if I should send it back and get one of the others you guys are touting...

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Wireless-Gigabit-TEW-812DRU-Version/dp/B00B0CQCCC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1405205301&sr=1-1&keywords=ac1750+trendnet
branca
Look at these wireless routers, get the ASUS AC router if you can afford it

http://www.wirelessrouterhome.com/best-wireless-router-review/

[This message has been edited by branca (edited 7/16/2014 10:19p).]
Ark03
AG
I had to buy a new router in the last week and I ended up with the Nighthawk. Such a huge improvement over my previous FIOS-provided dlink, it's not even funny.
flintdragon
AG
got the nighthawk all set up. Overall wireless network is improved but still not able to get 5G to half the house. Going to keep it but a little disappointed with the 5G. The layout of my house sucks...
TX scallywAG
AG
Ruckus.

The more stressful the environment, better it out performs everyone else.

http://www.ruckuswireless.com/products/zoneflex-indoor/zoneflex-r300

AG
Based on this thread and seeing a sale ont he nighthawk, I picked on up. Huge boost in performance over what I had. Pretty nice.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.