Android Wear and upcoming Smartwatches

7,342 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by RangerRick9211
AgDev01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like Google is finally getting into the smartwatch game.

quote:
There are several key features that have been announced. Of course, fitness is a key component. Google says that you'll be able to get "real-time speed, distance and time information on your wrist for your run, cycle or walk." Naturally, that means Google Maps will be built in so that you'll be able to get directions directly from your wrist.

The company will also be using Google Now in the watches. Automatic, passive reminders will be sent to users via their smartwatch. The watches will also connect with Android smartphones so that you'll be able to get all the notifications that you want from whatever apps you have installed on your phone.

quote:
You'll also be able to say "OK Google" to perform voice searches, à la Google Now. Lastly, the company is teasing multi-screen functionality from the smartwatches that use the operating system. As an example, Google says that you can use a voice command to cast a video to your Chromecast or get a certain song to play on your phone. It's not hard to imagine more exciting uses for this technology as Google works to get Android into more hardware around the world, such as the connected smarthomes and cars of the future.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/18/5522226/google-reveals-android-wear-an-operating-system-designed-for

Personally i haven't really seen the need for a smartwatch but this design by Moto is really making me change my opinion. It actually is a good looking watch. will be interested to hear more about it.

quote:
Motorola also has announced plans for a smartwatch. The company, which is about to be purchased by Lenovo, said in a blog post today that it would be called Moto 360. It has a round face and looks much more elegant than any smartwatch we've seen thus far. Motorola said that "all the core components are technically brand new," and already Motorola is showing off at least a couple of elegant, analog-style watch faces for the circular screen of the watch. Like the rest of the watches on the Android Wear platform, it will support voice commands, ambient alerts, directions, and notifications. Motorola is holding a live Google Hangout with the lead designer of the Moto 360, Jim Wicks, at 2pm ET on March 19th.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/18/5522340/motorola-lg-announce-upcoming-android-wear-smartwatches

From the comments section:

MW03
AG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrqZl2QIz0c

And accompanying article from Wired

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2014/03/android-wearables/

[This message has been edited by MW03 (edited 3/18/2014 1:31p).]
SpicewoodAg
AG
I have a strong anti-nerd watch bias right now. Most of all a watch that needs a smartphone nearby has almost no value to me. And I don't want another device that needs a battery charge every day.

But this one looks "normal" - which is important to me. Maybe it will do something useful.
MW03
AG
I kind of love the idea of a watch that you can change the look of with an app. I only wonder how well you'll be able to see the screen in the daytime.
AgDev01
AG
I agree. The only benefit of a smartwatch that appeals to me is it is more glancable than pulling out my phone in meetings/conversations but even then the design and charging aspect were big enough drawbacks to never consider it.

That Moto 360 is the first watch i have seen that looks good. I have a few friends that have pebble's and while neat gadgets are not something i would wear. This is.

It will be interesting to see the customization options (will probably be added to moto maker) and the battery life.

If anything, while i may not buy this it is certainly a move in the direction that i would consider a similar product.
MW03
AG
If I could have that watch look like that, then sub in a heart-rate monitor face for the gym, then a digital face for cooking, then an altimeter/weather app for camping, etc etc...

flintdragon
AG
if they could slim that thing down, I'd be a customer. Still looks too thick for my skinny wrists. I'll wait for v2.0 where it will for sure be thinner.
Sex Panther
AG
Saw this yesterday. Pretty damn slick and good looking.

http://bgr.com/2014/03/07/functional-fashionable-smartwatch-concept/
MW03
AG
Looks like a Suunto.

Red Five
AG
quote:
if they could slim that thing down, I'd be a customer. Still looks too thick for my skinny wrists. I'll wait for v2.0 where it will for sure be thinner.
Is this the evolution of the "Android phones are too big, I like iphone because it fits in my tiny baby hand" argument that seems to pop up in every Apple/Google thread?
MW03
AG
http://developer.android.com/wear/index.html

spider96
AG
Do want that Moto 360.
flintdragon
AG
I think it is just the natural evolution of tech gadgets. My wife's recently retired iPhone 3GS was considered beautiful at one time but in reality, it didn't last very long aesthetically and usability. Same with androids, first ones were clunky, thick. Now both the iphones and androids have reached a really good form factor and internals.

This first google watch is really 1.0 (can't really count the ugly samsung ones). Can't wait till 2.0 or 3.0.
OD
Keep ignoring the headway Nokia and Windows Phones are making all around the world. And now here in the U.S.

AT YOUR OWN PERIL.
ATL Aggie
AG
quote:
I have a strong anti-nerd watch bias right now. Most of all a watch that needs a smartphone nearby has almost no value to me. And I don't want another device that needs a battery charge every day.

But this one looks "normal" - which is important to me. Maybe it will do something useful.

This is more or less how I think about smart watches.
txaggie05
AG
The Moto 360 and what I've seen of Android Wear so far have definitely made me reconsider my position on smart watches. If the price and battery life are right, I'll probably take the plunge.
OD
I love the idea of smart watches. Seems like they'd really come in handy when driving.
RebAg13
3rdGenAg06
AG
10 beautiful Moto 360 app concepts

txaggie05
AG
Nice. If what Google and developers come up with is half as good as those I will be very excited
RangerRick9211
AG
Two fiddy? I'm in.

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=8307143&pid=1219322457598
howdydamnit04
AG
Looks like BestBuy finally pulled it. Hopefully that means the data was good.
AggieT
AG
Looks like the Moto 360 is released today. Anyone buying?
howdydamnit04
AG
I'll probably pull the trigger. Gonna be interesting to see how long they are backordered.
AggieFrog
AG
Poor battery life and the square bottom of the display are making me think twice. So far I like the looks of the LG G Watch R the most.
TX_AG_10
AG
I'm buying today. Waiting on 11 AM!
howdydamnit04
AG
Ugh just saw the battery reviews. Definitely buying if the battery doesn't last 24hrs.
howdydamnit04
AG
Already shows as back ordered.

Edit... nm only 2 weeks.
TX_AG_10
AG
Ordered from Best Buy. We'll see if it went through. Should get it Wednesday.
AggieFrog
AG
Love the idea, but this is the killer problem:

quote:
Until, that is, it doesn't do anything at all. That happens about 12 hours after I take the watch off its charger, a cool black wireless dock that the 360 slots into sideways. Motorola says the 360's battery lasts a day, but I haven't seen it last that long yet. I don't expect a smartwatch to last weeks or years, but it ought to be able to last a day and a night no matter how much I use it. My watch now dies before my phone does, and that's unacceptable. I've already spent too much time wearing a dead Moto 360, and good-looking a bracelet as it is, that's not what I'm spending $249 for.

Moto 360 review
JeffAggie2012
AG
I had been waiting to buy this one since it was announced. Looks like I will have to wait a little longer. No point in getting a watch that I am going to have to charge at night and then again in the afternoon. Especially considering battery life is only going to decrease over time. I guess I will have to wait for the second generation of Android Wear. Hopefully they will also eliminate the squared off unfinished circle at the bottom too.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Yeah, battery life is a deal breaker for me, but I really like the direction things are headed.
RangerRick9211
AG
quote:
We will say that so far it's looking like the battery will go 24 hours plus if you leave ambient mode off, depending on how much you use features like voice commands.
http://gizmodo.com/moto-360-battery-life-test-so-far-not-as-bad-as-you-h-1631839974
TX_AG_10
AG
Got it! Today is the first day of full wear. Will update today or tomorrow.

howdydamnit04
AG
I have small wrists so maybe its for the best that I held off on that beast.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.