How do I force iOS to open app web links in Safari?

22,400 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by fig96
wee_ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Facebook, twitter and other apps use some kind of in app browser and not safari. It's extremely annoying and I would like it changed. Is there anyway to force it to use Safari for all web links?
G Martin 87
AG
Some apps support this and some don't. For example, "Open in Safari" is an option in Flipboard after the page is open. But there is not an iOS setting that forces all apps to use Safari instead of their own built-in browser.
OD
Get Google Chrome's browser.
Barry Kripke
AG
Take it up with FB and twitter.
wee_ag
AG
How does chrome change how FB and twitter opens links?

FYI, I've already installed chrome

[This message has been edited by wee_ag (edited 12/5/2013 5:45p).]
Ovaltine
No there's no way to do it. Welcome to the wonderful walled garden that is Apple.

Chrome has nothing to do with anything.
fig96
AG
quote:
No there's no way to do it. Welcome to the wonderful walled garden that is Apple.

Um, you might take it up with the app developers. They're the ones that choose to open links in their in-app browser.
Barry Kripke
AG
Behaves the same way in sh*tty android.
G Martin 87
AG
quote:

This comment makes no sense. If anything, this is an example of Apple NOT locking down something they could. Apple allows app developers the choice whether to plug into Safari or use their own browser.
AgDev01
AG
quote:
Behaves the same way in sh*tty android.

Not sure what you are talking about but when i click on a link in the twitter app it is opened in chrome.
Ovaltine
Facebook links open in chrome too. So yeah, it's an iOS problem.
fig96
AG
quote:
Facebook links open in chrome too. So yeah, it's an iOS problem.

No, it's not. A developer could choose to have links open in Safari from their app if they wanted.

In Tweetbot on iOS, for example, I can tap a link to view it in their in app browser or hold down the link and it pops up options to tweet it, open in Safari, copy, etc.

wee_ag, after you've clicked a link in FB you can hit the icon at lower right and choose to open it in Safari, but I agree it's badly set up. Then again, the entire Facebook app hasn't been very good since it's creation.
Ovaltine
What I'm saying is, iOS has a certain ingrained workflow, which is why multiple devs will display content in-app, and offer a breakout to Safari. It's ingrained in iOS culture, so YES, IT'S AN F'N IOS PROBLEM.
fig96
AG
I'm glad you've been able to determine this based on your extensive research of the two apps mentioned in this thread.
AgDev01
AG
quote:

No, it's not. A developer could choose to have links open in Safari from their app if they wanted.

Considering android let's the user choose what they want to use to open a link it is an ios issue. For example in chrome I can choose to open a twitter link in the app or in chrome and conversely open a web link in chrome from the app. It doesn't matter what the developer could choose when the choice is given to the user.

[This message has been edited by agdev01 (edited 12/6/2013 12:33p).]
fig96
AG
quote:
Considering android let's the user choose what they want to use to open a link it is an ios issue. For example in chrome I can choose to open a twitter link in the app or in chrome and conversely open a web link in chrome from the app. It doesn't matter what the developer could choose when the choice is given to the user.

Not sure why opening an app from Chrome is especially relevant in this argument. No one is saying that iOS is more open than Android as we all know that's not accurate, but the argument seems to be that the OS forces its apps to open with an in-app browser and that isn't at all the case. A developer can make a choice whether they want to use an in-app browser or not, it's great that Android has a built-in choice but a lot of iOS apps do too as I mentioned above.

And wee_ag, hadn't checked out the Twitter app in a while but you actually can just hold a link down for a second and it gives you an option to open in Safari.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.